Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Jen

Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas

Can anyone tell me about their experience staying at the Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas in Tortola? I have received their brochure and like what I see. I am hoping to get an objective viewpoint from someone who has stayed there. I am planning to go next June (first or second week) for about 7 nights. This will be my honeymoon so I am looking for a romantic place with good service, beautiful beaches, and privacy. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Karen

I unfortuately had a very unpleasant experience at Long Bay unlike some who really love it. I did go expecting a "luxury" hotel and amenities of one. I was very disappointed. The beach front rooms were lovely and very spacious and comfortable but they did not have screens as I had been told they did. Not a biggie for most, but I do have allergic reactions when in a/c when there is no fresh air thus that was very important to us. Also despite their promise that they had a swimming beach, for the 10 days that we were there, the water was unswimmable. Since you are going in the summer, this likely will not be the case as the rough water does occur in the winter. There is a small area way down at the end that is free from rocks and coral where you can make your way into the water and one spot almost in front of the restaurant at the other end. The rest of the shoreline is very rocky and not conducive to swimming or even fanny dunking. I did not appreciate that one had to jeep or taxi to another beach in order to swim. There were other areas that Long Bay disappointed but if I were not expecting a "luxury" resort, it would have suited just fine. I contine to see complaints about the "service" and I found that line staff was very cooperative and nice but that management was not at all interested in the guests nor their stay at the resort and could have cared less about your requests. Tortola is a fun island for some who like to jeep about, exploring and looking for those few elusive wonderful beaches. It does provide a great gateway for sailing and day trips to the rest of the BVI where you will find the seclusion and privacy you mention along with some wonderful beaches!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:52 PM
Dave

Hi Jen -
Here's the other side of the coin.

We stayed in a Beach Cabana in April '99 and loved the place! I would highly recommend the Beach Cabana for a honeymoon as they're A) On the beach B) More isolated that other accom. C) On the beach D) Cozy, comfortable, very Carib E) On the beach

Although older posts pan the service, I found it to be just fine. Recent visitors agree.

Long Bay beach is absolutely beautiful. Summer swimming is fine about 50 yds down the beach. Sunsets are wonderful. Late night strolls on a deserted beach are pretty cool.

Although we found better food, swimming and snorkeling at other spots, LBBR was a beautiful home base from which to experience wonderful Tortola. If you want a nice room & beach try Florida. If you want to experience a very interesting culture and island, rent a jeep and get around Tortola. Soak it up, it will make for outstanding honeymoon memories (betcha you come back, too).

We honeymooned in Aruba. Nice room on the big broad beach. It was fine...wish we'd gone to Tortola now.

No worries!
Dave

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Karen

LOL .. obviously "Dave" took exception to my slam dunk of Long Bay. No, Dave, there are wonderful islands out there, even in the BVI's that retain the wonderful Caribbean culture and do have lovely long luscious beaches and great swimming. Some people just don't enjoy jeeping about hunting for elusive beaches or hiking to get to 'em. They like "creature comforts" including not having to rent beach chairs or use the bushes as "facilities" at another beach 'cause the beach where you are staying is lousy! That is, after you pay to get there!
Jen, if your budget can handle it, head to some of the truly lovely spots and islands in the BVI. Peter Island, Biras Creek, Guana Island are the high end but there are plenty of lovely little spots even on a very modest budget. Cooper Island is one that I always enjoyed!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:41 PM
Jamie

Jen,
We haven't stayed at LBBR but have been to the BVI's and spent an afternoon a long time ago on the beach at LBBR. The swimming area had coral scattered on the beach floor and it was hard to get in and swim without wearing some watersocks, etc. The beach was pretty and we stopped at the bar and got a beer - very expensive compared to other bars. We looked around the property but decided we weren't interested in staying there once we saw it. Personally, I would keep looking - over the years, I have seen lots of negative comments about service at LBBR. Also, luxury in the caribbean is not the same as luxury in the U.S. Tortola has been discovered to my mind so if you are interested in privacy, you may want to try Virgin Gorda or some of the places Karen mentioned.
Jamie

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:15 AM
KATE

I spent a week at Long Bay 2 years ago..My first comment will be -you get what you pay for..We stayed in a beach cabana which was great as far being on the beach but the rooms were a little drab..but this was the least expensive vacation I had ever been on..I think the beach cabana was like $190 a nite..I was perfectly happy there because I did not pay $300-500 a night. If I did I would have been very disappointed.
The grounds were nice and the food was not bad .(IMO)
This is not a luxury property but by no means is it a dump.
The pool was nice and honestly the beach was beautiful- I was there in July and you do have to walk away from the coral to swim but it's a good excuse to take a walk..I don't know if I would go back there but I think I didn't like Tortola more than I didn't like Long Bay.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Dave

Jen -

Yep, there are lots of great islands in the Caribbean/BVI and you'd better believe that Tortola is one of them.

It's funny how the very features that entice me about Tortola cause others to heartily slam it.

Let's see if we've got it straight about Long Bay. Surf is rough in winter (but all is well in June when you'll be going). Most swimmable area is 40-50 yards down the beach. Rooms were lovely, spacious and comfortable but too much A/C. One of the roads was bumpy. Friendly staff. What an terrible place!

Check out the Rants & Raves section here. The stupid "this place is a dump" post aside, ask yourself, how could so many folks have a great time if this place stinks?

Jen, here's the deal. You can shell out big $ for an insulated resort and get their version of the BVI, their 1 or 2 restaurants and 56 steps to their nice beach. No, its not a Sandals, really. These places are extremely nice ($$$$$) and they have their place. You'll forget your cares (and maybe which country you're in, too).

Alternatively, you can have an entire island with 7 - 8 lovely & accessable beaches, an incredible variety of restaurants, numerous toes-in-the-sand bars with great local music, airplane-like views as you drive Ridge Road, and charisma, charisma, charisma.

There's something you need to appreciate. Tortola is fully employed and virtually crime-free. This is the type of island that you WANT to get inside of. Dis ain't no Jamaica or Dominican, mon. Urchins don't hawk you at every turn. You can actually expose yourself to this culture without fear! No need to barricade yourself into a resort here.

In my humble opinion, if you're gonna spend big $ to go abroad, you might just want to go to a place where you can tell that you're in a foreign country. Resorts don't have culture, people & countries do.

No worries!
Dave

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:17 PM
joan

Jen,
I've gotta chime in here. I'm tired of Karen always "LOL"ing at people. There was nothing to laugh at in Dave's post. His advice is right on. I think Karen's top priority is: beach within 100 steps. ...that's cool... but I'm with Dave: what a gorgeous place. I actually enjoyed walking a couple hundred yards to swim. (cause I could take my top off and felt wonderful about it with nobody looking) (and never did I have to PAY for a beach chair - ?). We stayed at Long Bay about 4 years ago, rented one of their villas on the hill with our two daughters. Loved every minute of it. I remember one night we cooked steaks for ourselves. My daughter and I took a big bowl down to the restaurant kitchen and asked if they had any salad fixings. With big smiles, they made us a huge salad for four. We found the staff there slow paced yet very nice. Their alfresco dining room was memorable. And they made the best Pina Colada I've ever had, with fresh shaved nutmeg on top. I'm sure that doesn't compare to what Karen has had, but I loved it!

One other thought: another time we went to Tortola we rented a villa. It had french doors in all the rooms and a wrap around porch and a pool overlooking Brewer's Bay. Flashlights, umbrellas, videos, a full spice cabinet, a blender, no daily maids to interrupt... that was one of the most romantic private and erotic vacations my husband and I have ever taken. Less than $1500 for the week, too. I know you honeymooners like to save your bucks
Wherever you go, have a lovely time. And congratulations on your wedding.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:35 PM
PS Local

My experience at LBBR was mostly positive. But one thing that was a bit unnerving was being presented a bill at checkout that featured an $800 (!) charge for a phone call I allegedly made. Wow. What a buzz killer. I happened to be diving off Salt Island at the time, so... Anyway, the hotel would not allow me to dispute the charge, but instead told me I had to pay it and take it up with Cable & Wireless when I got back to the U.S. Yikes. So, having to leave, I boarded my plane at Beef Island not really knowing if I would get my $800 back or not. Turns out it was a clerical mistake at the hotel and the charge was credited. However, I have to say I wrote the manager to complain about the anxiety this generated and was unimpressed that I did not receive the courtesy of even a gratuitous "we're sorry" form letter reply. Oh well. Short of that, no complaints about LBBR and they were pretty nice during my stay.

I will second the notion that the things that cause others to steer clear of Tortola are the reasons I go back. We did, in fact, honeymoon there as well before going on to Guadeloupe. Not sure about if you could really characterize LBBR as romantic, beautiful beaches and privacy though. Sounds more like Peter Island, as mentioned previously. In any case, only Tortola has Bomba.

PS L

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Karen

Hey, Joan! Get over it! I was not laughing at Dave but his obvious attempt to slam dunk me and his sarcastic remarks! Come on!
There are many different people with differing tastes, needs and desires. One is not "right" and the other "wrong." I repeated my experience at Long Bay - or at least some of it. I didn't bore you with the other shortcomings! And, yes, I like my swimming beach just feet from my door. That's what I was promised and that's what I didn't get among many other things. By the time we paid for all the "extras," our bill came pretty darn close to one of the "luxury" resorts in the BVI. I don't go to the Caribb to sit in a hermatically sealed a/c'ed room. If I want to be cold, I'd stay home. I do expect to swim at a beach resort! Unrealistic? I think not! Obviously Dave loves Tortola, the jeeping about, the beach bars and I don't. That doesn 't make me attack him and his choice by saying there is no culture on PIR, Guana, or any of the luxury spots. He knows not of what he speaks! No, I don't enjoy needing a kidney tranplant because I can't swim at a beach resort because the "beach right next door is a short walk" or a very uncomfortable bone jarring ride! No, I didn't enjoy the fact that they lied and said there was screens since I have allergic reactions to a/c. No, I didn't enjoy packing up and schleeping further to a beach than I do when I am home. No, I did not think Smugglers was fun with renting chairs and paying for a shuttle to even get there nor do I expect to have to use the foliage as "facilities." No, I didn't enjoy the "culture" of Bomba's. No, I didn't enjoy the fact that the changing room for late departures or early arrivals was the shower out on the beach. No, I did not enjoy the walk down to the end of the beach where on the two occassions that we did found men who enjoy c/o sunbathing. Line staff, housekeepers, waitstaff, etc. were pleasant and we had no problem. Management was non responsive and couldn't care less. Rides up a hill? Ha! They were promised to others but they sure didn't happen according to them! Each to their own. Part of the disappointment is having too high expectations and I do believe that if you go with realistic expectations at those bargain rate specials, you will probably be okay. I thought my assessment was very fair without being critical but being told that I don't know what I am talking about or taking swipes is not nice! Every place has good and bad and the "good and bad" may be the way the resort satisfied one's wants and expectations!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:15 AM
lynda

Karen, Dave did not slam dunk you. Why can't you just give your opinion & then let others give theirs. You say they attack you when it is usually the opposite. Someone reading this post can take the info from your post & from Dave's & make a decision based on their personality....not yours. Answer the person's question, & let other people have their intrepretation also. The good information gets lost in the personal attacks.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Karen

and I think he did and it was personal ... but ... Whatever!

Back to "topic." Those of you who are planning to visit Tortola in the near future, I think it behooves you to check the recent edition of the BVI Beacon on line. Sad reading but seems to be true about the increase of robbery and breakins at villas and you should be aware that things are really changing!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Maureen

Yes, there are recent reports of some burglaries on Tortola and on VIRGIN GORDA, (home to Biras Creek and Little Dix). God forbid that Tortola should become another St. Thomas!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Joel

I'm surprised to see such heated postings on the usually very tranquil BVI board.
Getting back to Jen's question, a deluxe resort, it is not. A place where most people would have a good time, it is. My wife and I have been to the BVI many times. We'd rate the deluxe resorts as Birus Creek, Little Dix Bay, and Peter Island Resort. The next level down which includes LBBR also includes Sugar Mill and Frenchman's Cay on Tortola and a few others on Virgin Gorda.
At a point that I was doing travel writing, I did an article on Tortola. toured a wide variety of resorts and found them all clean and proper, but only SM, FC, and LBBR that stood out. Of those three only LBBR has the beautiful, long, romantic beach that many wish to see. Only FC provides a phenomenal view and your own small 2 floor villa. Only SM provides food fit for a gourmand. All in all, considering food, accomodations, beach, view, friendly/accomodating mgmt, and packages, I'd rank FC as #1, SM as #2, and LBBR as #3. I stress that they all have their advocates, but here on Fodor's I have only once seen someone pan FC, a few have panned SM, and something like 30-40% pan LBBR.
My point is that they're all good... in the Tortola way, meaning that they're laid-back, fairly simple, and enjoy an island well known for simplicity and friendliness.
I think, Jen, that if you like what you see in the brochure, you're apt to enjoy your stay there. Me.. I will continue to return to Frenchman's which I've been to 4 or 5 times now. I've been to several of the true luxury resorts over on Virgin Gorda and, all in all, felt I'd paid too much. I have my issues with LBBR, and don't care for the postage stamp sized beach at SM right next to the highway.
Have a great vacation wherever you go.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Joel

Jen, a suggestion. Do a search on the resorts that interest you here on Fodors, using the search tool. You'll find an enormous number of postings and opinions on any and all. Should answer every conceivable question you have and be much better than all the acrimony on this string.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Mary Beth

Stayed @ LBBR March 2000 & had an excellent vacation! Room was perfect, clean & comfortable @ $225.00/nite ; small balcony with a great view to enjoy reading & am coffee.(The beach front cabanas seemed to be the perfect place to stay, however, there were no vacancies when we made our arrangements) Beach was fantastic,no coral, waves like the NJ shore! Food was delicious, service wonderful! Enjoyed the best pina coladas poolside & lunches @ the beach front cafe.Dinners were scrumptious...a la carte or buffets.Only left the resort to snorkel on a day trip to Virgin Gorda & eat dinner in a local restaurant, so we took a taxi, no need to rent a car. Very quiet, laid back vacation...one of the best places we've been to.Also enjoyed professional massages. We are far from honeymooners, having been married 25 years, so perhaps there is not enough action for the young folks? We reveled in the privacy & romance.We love the quieter islands ( hated Aruba!) Hope our choice of this years' getaway lives up to the paradise we experienced on Tortola! Best wishes! MB

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Dave

ALL PLEASE TAKE NOTE

Recent BVI Beacon reports of break-ins and burglaries refer exclusively to Virgin Gorda. There is not a single reference to Tortola.

The previous post noting these crimes and declaring that "things are really changing" on Tortola is completely irresponsible!

Regardless, overall crime in the BVI is very, very low.

Let's get the facts straight before we seek to steer visitors elsewhere. There are livelihoods at stake.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:43 PM
karen

I apologize for not rereading the post for mistypes as the recent breakins have been on Virgin Gorda in villas but I did suggest that everyone read the BVI Beacon for the facts. I certainly would not send anyone anywhere else since the BVI's still rate #1 in my book (well, Anguilla and the Grenadines are pushing close since they are the way the BVI's used to be!). I only posted it as a warning that things are not as "perfect" as others let on. You need to be vigilent and cautious where ever you choose to travel. Things are changing on Tortola - the new airport expansion, the new "highway" thru RoadTown, Prospect Reef turning into a timeshare, the new dolphin abusement park that will open soon according to reports, cruise ship arrive regularly with complaints about crowded Smugglers and Cane Garden Bay beaches. The cost of the "progress" is sometimes high! I certainly did not refer to crime alone and sorry that you thought I did. BTW, those who often put down St. Thomas and the USVI's have seldom seen more than the airport to the ferry and there is a wonderful island there just waiting to be discovered. Dave, I suggest that you get off the personal attacks ... You love Tortola and Long Bay! Good for you! I found it less than desirable! That's not a personal attack! Why you want to wage war is beyond me!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Dave

What personal attacks?!?!

"If you want a nice room & beach try Florida. If you want to experience a very interesting culture and island, rent a jeep and get around Tortola." ...CONTEXT - if that's all that interests you, save your $. Come to the BVI and experience much more.

"Resorts don't have culture, people & countries do"...A fundamental truism! Any culture existent at a resort is the resort's version and borrowed from the people and country.

Hardly "attacks" and certainly not of the personal nature. I did not take offense at the flood of Tortola pans, some subtle, most not. Having a resort/island/bar that you like panned does not constitute a personal attack.

Read my posts. Nowhere do I say that someone doesn't know what they're talking about. "He knows not of what he speaks" came from someone else's post.

We all need to understand that this board & thread are not about any of us as individuals. We are expressing our opinions about a travel destinations!

Sometimes the facts get in the way of an opinion. In those instances we should expect to be called on it.

The highly inflammatory post regarding cime on Tortola was indeed irresponsible. It's singular topic was crime, not change. Airports, roads, etc were not mentioned nor are they in the BVI Beacon acticles referenced to. It's obvious intent was to specifically steer folks away from Tortola for some unknown reason.

To allow that bombshell to sit and fester on this board without correction would have been unthinkable. Truth is a good thing.

Finally, I'm not waging war. This thread is not about you, dear. Really!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Marnie

Hi, Jen. I was wondering if you've made a decision to go to Long Bay? We're thinking of it, too, and after sifting through the pertinent info that's posted, I'm stumped. Just curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -