Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Lois who knows everything about Barbados-please help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to B next week and my dear friend would like to re-visit a restaurant that a) she cannot remember the name of b) has apparently now closed.

Yes, I know...a real toughy. But I thought perhaps that with your knowledge of the island you might be able to help...your website is amazing, informing every aspect of our precious week.

Her description: " it was Italian-ish,you could eat outside, casual but excellent food". My thought was that it might have closed but the chef gone on to another locale? It must ve fairly close to where they were, so-o-o, Christchurch....I know, I know...this is so vague and such a lot to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM

I'm not Lois, but we just returned from Barbados yesterday. We didn't do any Italian places on this visit, so I don't have the answer but we have eaten at Luigi's and Bellini's - both in Christ Church. Could it have been one of those? A fair amount of places have closed, but many new places have opened. Where the Southseas was, a new restaurant just opened on Wednesday and Tapas just opened where Aqua had been.

Hope Lois is able to help!
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Thanks vey much Knowing...I will check out both Luigi's and Bellini's with my friend.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM

At Bellini's you can eat on the balcony overlooking the sea. To my knowledge this is still open. Luigis is also on the south coast and is still open.

On the west coast there is Il Tempio that you can eat outside. It's always been closed when we've been on the island, so we have never tried it.

Could it possibly have been Olives in Holetown - that is now closed and Nishi has opened in its place.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM

At Bellini's you can eat on the balcony overlooking the sea. To my knowledge this is still open. Luigis is also on the south coast and is still open.

On the west coast there is Il Tempio that you can eat outside. It's always been closed when we've been on the island, so we have never tried it.

Could it possibly have been Olives in Holetown - that is now closed and Nishi has opened in its place.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Will relay this info about Olives to my pal. I 'know' you from Chowhound, too, Lois and can't thank you enough for your thorough dedication to supplying timely info! Leaving from various points in Canada on Monday morning for our week in Barbados...the same gang has done Southern France, Cayman Islands and a marathon at Disney World over the past 5 years and we are really looking forward to this new adventure.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM

LJ - glad you have been following my posts on Chowhound too - that is such a great board. It's helped me with trip planning to new locations, such as Savannah, GA where we will visit this spring after a week's stay in the Orlando area. We're going back to Barbados in October.

Things change so quickly on the island at times -- at least as far as food is considered. You may want to check out Lanterns by John Hazzard at Bougainvillea Beach. Not sure if they have ironed all the kinks out yet. He took it over January 8, and I'm told the staff needed some additional training. I know Bougainvillea wants him to be successful there. He's a well-known island cook, so they are expecting big things.

There is a deli everyone raves about on the south coast called Mama Mia's - we have not been there, but that might be of interest to you all while there. It's relatively inexpensive. One of the people from there recently opened Tapas on the south coast on the boardwalk (where Aqua was for a few years).