Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Liza , Tivertonhouse /Jamaica question ! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/liza-tivertonhouse-jamaica-question-390753/)

willem Jan 23rd, 2004 05:17 AM

Liza , Tivertonhouse /Jamaica question !

Just wondering , is it really necessary to have Hep. A shots ... We are not really going off the beaten track , nor is it an extended stay . Have read conflicting advice ... Thanx anyone and everyone ! Faith

andreaac Jan 23rd, 2004 06:31 AM

Willem,

Haven't heard of anyone getting extra immunizations for travel to Jamaica. The standard shots given by the child's Pediatrician should suffice. I have friends who have taken young children to the island. I see Hep A is required of children 2 yrs & older. If that's the case, then speak w/ the child's Pedi to see what they suggest.

tivertonhouse Jan 23rd, 2004 07:18 AM

No shots needed for island. Have never heard of need for Hep A but precaution can be valuable ANYWHERE, even in US. You'll be in Portee so water potable, safe and bottled water widely available. If you're overly concerned with kids' health in general, let alone on island, do shots and get trip/travel cancellation insurance WITH temporary medical coverage for travel outside the US from www.travelguard.com or www.campbellirvine.com, a pittance in price for the protection.

liza Jan 23rd, 2004 07:26 AM

My kids have never had extra shots for travel to Jamaica. They've never gotten sick there either, except my then 4 year old got carsick on a 3 hours drive coming back from swimming with manatees once...

willem Jan 23rd, 2004 08:24 AM

Thank You . I do not believe we will get them ! Dreaming of Blue Mountain coffee .... A dip in the Blue Lagoon ... a cold drink at Frenchmans Cove ... clear waterfalls , and gliding slowly down The Rio Grande ... Yahoo !! Faith

andreaac Jan 23rd, 2004 08:36 AM

Oh, all right. Stop rubbing it in Faith! Just make sure you post your trip report here. One thing, make sure to raft the Rio Grande late afternoons or evenings. I made the mistake once and did a early afternoon! Boy did we get sunburnt. Bring me back a Red Stripe, please. Ahhhh!

willem Jan 23rd, 2004 08:37 AM

Oh , and I did not mention kids in my post , it was brought up elsewhere . Do not really want to get shots , and not overly concerned for kids health , on or off island . Did have safety concern , but am now at ease thanx to a number of people ! thank you all , Faith .

willem Jan 23rd, 2004 08:45 AM

Red stripe it is !! And perhaps I will borrow some barf bags from the plane just in case Liza ! Everyones help is GREAT , thanx for responding so quickly ! Did I mention a nice cold drink as kids sleep looking out over steamy Blue Mountains and san san beach .... smiles , Faith .

willem Jan 23rd, 2004 08:55 AM

Andreaac , Read on another post you are heading to Quebec and the Maritimes . I live in Montreal but am from Prince Edward Island , if you are in N.S. you should try to get to P.E.I., Sorry people , not quite the Caribbean , wrong thread !!! Faith