Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Thatch Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-thatch-island-174762/)

stthomassoontobe Jan 2nd, 2007 03:36 PM

Little Thatch Island

Good evening! Has anyone ever been to Seagrape Cottage on Little Thatch? I am planning our honeymoon and are looking for a private getaway on the beach!

Thanks.

iamq Dec 16th, 2007 05:32 PM

I'm bringing this back up because I am trying to find info about this cottage and Little Thatch too.

Anyone?

Pappy Dec 17th, 2007 09:58 AM

Thatch Cay and Little Thatch are unihabited as far as I know. I read something about one of them having some type of facility some time back, but I can't recall the specifics. At a minimum, there will be no electricity or running water, I believe.

joan Dec 17th, 2007 10:58 AM

A google search shows that the cottage indeed has electricity, even A/c and a hot tub! I can't imagine how that is possible.

Just my opinion, but for $800-1300 per NIGHT, I think you could find something more private, more luxurious, and with more to do.

Did you read this on the McLoughlin Anderson website?
"Plumbago Cottage, adjacent to Seagrape Cottage , is generally set up as a beach bar, and is vacant most of the year. However, from time to time the island's owners will arrive on Little Thatch for a visit. The owner's residence is up on the very high hilltop of the island, out of sight of the beach and the cottages, but the owners may use Plumbago Cottage during the day should they wish to relax at the beach. "

I also found a review stating that although there are no occupied cottages around, one renter found no fewer than eight boats anchored in front of the cottage:

http://www.wheretostay.com/caribbean...e_Cottage.html

There are some beautiful private villas for rent on nearby Tortola...

ScubaMom Dec 17th, 2007 02:58 PM

How about the North Beach Cottage on nearby Guana Island? Your own one bedroom cottage, private beach, private pool, and a golf cart to "cart" you around the island.

Definitely one of the best private places we've ever stayed!

iamq Dec 17th, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks for your posts!

Guana Island is probably where we will end up, but this sounded interesting, so I thought I'd send it up to the almighty Caribbean travel gods and goddesses!

Joan, yes I did see the listing on the McLaughlin site and yeah...all sorts of red flags popped up when I read that blurb about the cottage next door that is used as a "bar".

Scubamom, your Guana report is what sealed the deal for me. We won't be going until 2009, but unless something really spectacular comes along, Guana will be the place.

I see that luxurylink is offering a low season auction for 5 nights at Guana with bids starting at around $3500, which is a good deal.

beachplum Dec 17th, 2007 03:42 PM

I have never stayed on Little Thatch but am acquainted with the owners. The "bar" that you refer to is more like a day house where the owners or guests of the owners relax when they come down from the main house. It's not a "beach bar" in the way you think of the traditional "beach bar." The caretakers live on the island but their house it on the other side. It really is a lovely spot and indeed private. They will provision the cottage for you but it's up to you to do the cooking or hire a private chef. Trips back and forth to Tortola for eating out or activity if I recall are done at your request and included in the rates. The cottage actually sits behind a wall so there is privacy from any boats - but it is a popular stop for snorkeling. Like Necker people do respect its privacy.

iamq Dec 17th, 2007 05:59 PM

Thanks beachplum. I was wondering about the snorkeling.

ScubaMom Dec 18th, 2007 10:42 AM

Glad my article was helpful! We've been to a lot of places in the Caribbean but there's no where quite like Guana Island. Truly a wonderful experience and unique getaway.

joan Dec 18th, 2007 12:14 PM

Waaahhh!!! I have always wanted to go to Guana too!

Go for it Iamq! Can you bid now and book for '09?

Beachplum, could Seagrape have been renovated recently? The panorama view shows a wide open shot from the inside looking out over the water, no obstructions to the view at all..