Search

Little Dix to St John

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Dix to St John

Here's my situation. You guys have been so helpful, and I have fallen in love with a villa on St. John. The problem is that it isn't available until June 24, which is 5 days after we are getting married (we were planning on leaving the next day). Does it make sense to start the honeymoon at Little Dix Bay and then go to our villa. Ideally, I'd like to spend those first 5 days on another island because my fiancee has never been to the Caribbean. Let me know if there are ferrys or something like that. And what islands are the most convenient to get to St. John. Thanks again all.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM

briana What villa did you fall in love with? Your idea is definately do-able. Tortola is the closest island to St. John 3miles eastish, I believe Little Dix Bay is on Virgin Gorda about 40 miles away both are BVIs. To find the best ferry transport between islands I would suggest asking whom ever you book your accomodations with but here's a site to try http://www.varlack-ventures.com
I do know there is a regular ferry service between St.John and Tortola
www.vivacations.com has a link to the schedule on their site. I think it's listed under "travel tips" or "preparing for your trip"
You could also consider St. Thomas USVI. About 6 miles west of St. John. The RitzCarlton looked great on the Travel Channels' best in the caribbean.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM

the ferry schedule at viva's site can be found under the "Explore St. John"
link
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM

LDB-Caneel has a ferry going twice a week,you have to clear customs on St. John, so you can get off where its the most conventient for you! Look into it, it might work. LDB also will take you to your flight on Beef Island, Tortola. You can get a ferry on that end. We took Native Son from the other
end of Tortola to St. John. Very nice
way to travel! You should not have a problem.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Jofus: I am definitely impressed with Golden Dragon Villa. Its a little big for what we need, but its beautiful. Its available 5 days after our wedding, so now I need to find a place for those 5 days if we want to stay at Golden Dragon. You guys have been so fantastic through this planning...and I'm sure I'll still have more questions to come. Thanks again for all your help thus far.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM

You should check out the lonely planet virgin islands travel book it covers both USVI & BVI. It's a great reference book to have, I took mine with me when traveling
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM

I think 5 days at a luxury hotel is the absolute best way to start a honeymoon, who wants to go shopping for groceries on your first day of married life?! (You will be doing that enough for the rest of the marriage. . . ..) Be pampered and relax a bit, order room service. Little Dix is a great choice, and has a fantastic spa, make a reservation before you arrive, as they do fill up.

Little Dix Bay is owned and operated by the same people who operate Caneel Bay, so you can take their ferry for $35 per person. Check the Rosewoodhotels.com website for information, as I believe the service is only offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. If this fits your schedule, this would be a much better option, IMO, than the public ferry, as you can board right at Little Dix rather than having to go to the public ferry pier in town, you will have people to help with your luggage, plus the ride is so pretty and the boat usually is not crowded, as opposed to the public ferries. You have to get out at Cruz Bay on St John to clear customs, so you can just get a taxi from there to your villa and don?t have to go on to Caneel itself.

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Jost Van Dyke is close to St John but would be at the opposite end of the spectrum from LDB. It's the ultimate secluded island, just two tiny towns about 150 people and beach bars and restaurants. It's totally informal, shoes are required almost nowhere. The Sandcastle has rooms (about 6 or 8) on the beach and a world class restaurant, and the Soggy Dollar Bar. White Bay Villas are on a hill overlooking the ocean and are secluded with great views. There's no room service but if you want a private getaway and no commercial hustle and bustle this is about the best place I know of. Even if you don't stay there it's a great place to visit. Take the "When" that's the JVD ferry that leaves from West End in Tortola.