Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Dix Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-dix-question-630591/)

Dianebridles Jul 13th, 2006 12:38 AM

Little Dix Question

I have just booked a Caneel/ Little Dix combo for April. In addition to taxes, both resorts charge an additional percentage fee. Caneel's covers all graruities except for restaurant service. Little Dix's is called a 'resort fee' and is less definitive.. Is tipping for room luggage, ect included in this fee, or is an expected extra.

Any info will be most appreciated.

Angler973 Jul 13th, 2006 05:28 AM

We have booked the same package for February. My understanding from my travel agent is that gratuities are covered in both resorts.

Dianebridles Jul 14th, 2006 12:04 AM

Thanks Angler. I felt that it would be the same for both resorts, but I wanted to be sure so that I would do the expected tipping.
Diane

blamona Jul 14th, 2006 03:14 AM

All resorts in Caribbean have a resort fee, unless you rent directly by an owner. 9Such as villa or condo) It's considered a fee, and is mandatory. Tipping for room luggage, luggage storage, if you tip the maids, etc, is additional and should be done. The only time it's included, is on an All inclusive, and even then some people still tip for things like that.

Dianebridles Jul 14th, 2006 04:03 AM

Thanks Blamona. The reason for my confusion is that Caneel specifically states that the additional charge is for ' luggage, room and front desk services. Little Dix does not state specifically for what this fee is For this trip these fees will be in excess of $700.
While because I realize that staff works very hard, I would not want them to be excluded, but if they are receiving additional compensation through these fees, I do not want to 'double up' except when extra services are provided.

Thanks again for your input.
Diane

Boonie Jul 14th, 2006 07:26 AM

I know the theory behind such fees is to
avoid a guest having to tip various service
personnel all the time. However, I do not think it would be a bad idea to ask the resort
how the "pool" of resort fees is distributed.
Sometimes, the hardest working staff e.g.
housekeepers do not get a fair share. This
sometimes happens in hotels where the
supervisor keeps the tips. If there is not an
equitable division, then you might give something in person (do not leave it on a dresser/desk) to a staff member who has provided ongoing service. Just a suggestion.
has provided ongoing service during you

Dianebridles Jul 14th, 2006 09:51 AM

Thanks Boonie. That sounds like a good idea. At Caneel, I have always tipped for luggage, as the handlers have made me feel that it is expected. I will check on the tip distribution system and bring some envelopes for daily service from the maids if that appears to be needed.
Diane

kinners Jul 21st, 2006 09:34 AM

Hi, Diane:

You need to tip at Caneel just as you would do at any other hotel. Many Caribbean/US resorts charge a "resort fee" but this really does not include anything.

Have fun on your trip. We love Caneel but we're heading to LDB for the first time in December.

Dianebridles Jul 22nd, 2006 01:07 AM

Hi kinners, Thanks for responding,

Upon your return,I would appreciate your thoughts on LD. I too, love Caneel and I am worried that I might be disappointed in Little Dix. Currently, I am booked for seven nights at each resort.
Diane