Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Dix/Caneel Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-dix-caneel-bay-371581/)

honeymoon04 Oct 26th, 2003 11:44 AM

Little Dix/Caneel Bay

Anyone done a split vacation - half at Little Dix and half at Caneel Bay? How was it? THANKS!

Sunnyboy Oct 27th, 2003 05:25 AM

My wife and I did that a few years ago. It was enjoyable because both resorts are so different from each other but we liked LDB & VG much better. Been back to LDB several times since and have no desire to return to CB.

steven12 Oct 27th, 2003 02:02 PM

I second that! LDB is much nicer. Lots of honeymooners there too so its fun as well

steven12 Oct 27th, 2003 02:05 PM

I saw your post on DonnaK's LDB report and Igot back from there last week. THere is a pool but its part of the spa. Its actually very cool and small. I am not sure if you need a treatment to use it but I used it with no problem. If you are more of an outdoors type of person you will be soooo stunned by Virgin Gordas beauty. THere are lots of Honeymooners there so we had a lot of fun at night with people we met (being 30 ourselves but married 5 years) I WILL for sure go back to this place!!!

owa Oct 27th, 2003 03:58 PM

Message: Sunnyboy, what did you like better about LDB? We stopped there on a day trip, and it didn't seem to have snorkeling areas like the 7 beaches at Caneel.

Sunnyboy Oct 28th, 2003 05:02 AM

I liked LDB better because it was smaller and more intimate. The staff were wonderful and very accomodating, the rooms were larger and nicley appointed, the food was so much better. There are hiking trails on the property leading toward the tops of surrounding hills with fantastic vistas. The beach was perfect for relaxation. True the snorkling off LDB beach was average (the reef is shallow so there are only small fish) but the Baths are spectacular for snorkling, as are Spring Bay, Savanah Bay (you can hike over the hill to Savanah Bay if you want), Mahoe Bay and Nail Bay - all of which are only a few minutes drive from the resort (the resort also has free water taxies that will take you there and pick you up). There are numerous other beaches on the island that are uncrowded. If you are adventuresome the hotel can arrange for snorkle trips to the caves at Norman Island, the reef off Necker Island or even a day sail to Anegada where you will find miles long stretches of specular white sand beaches and reefs galore for perfect snorkling. Virgin Gorda is the quintisential Caribbean Island, with lush mountains, fine beaches, crystal clear waters. I've been to over 20 islands and Virgin Gorda is my favorite and Little Dix Bay is one of my favorite resorts (been there 5 times). A lot, of course, depends on what you are looking for. If you are the type of person who doesn't want to venture outside the resort than you'd probably be better off at Caneel Bay. If on the other hand you like to explore the island you are visiting then Virgin Gorda and LDB can't be beat. Put a rental car in your budget and you'll find all the beauty VG has to offer. You won't be disappointed.

owa Oct 28th, 2003 03:30 PM

Thank you sunnyboy for the informative answer to my question. I just read your reply to my husband, and we are going to give it a try. It will have to be in 2005 because I had one of the winning bids for a 7 night package at Caneel for next year. The sale was on Luxurylink.net one shot auction. I got the package for half the price--I was shocked. It's the same package we had last year so I knew exactly what we were getting. Maybe we will see you someday at LDB. Thanks again

Sunnyboy Oct 29th, 2003 05:16 AM

You're welcome. Have a great trip.