The Best Rooms at The Caves?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booking The Caves in Negril for October. Now we have to figure out which room to request. Any suggestions? And thanks to all the very helpful messages posted on this board
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Did you ever end up finding out which rooms were best? What room did you end up staying in
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Well we requested the Butterfly and got it. What a wonderful room. The staff said that the Butterfly and the Macka Tree are the most requested. Both are second floor rooms. Butterfly is closest to the sea (actually directly overlooking it) and Macca (?) Tree is 'secretly' hidden in the lush trees with a partial view of the sea. The resort is very small so any room is private although it seems that The butterfly, The Sea Turtle (below the Butterfly) and the Macca Tree are the best of the 1 BR suites.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:39 AM

We have reserved One Drop for December, anyone get a look at it? It's the self-contained one-bedroom. Did anyone fly directly into Negril?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:59 PM

I have never heard of anyone flying directly into Negril before. Long flight on a small plane! Most folks fly in to Montego Bay or Kingston first and "puddle jumper" it to Negril Airdrome.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry eyeski, I don't remember seeing One Drop.

We looked into flying direct from Newark to Negril. We didn't because we were worried about the possibility of our flight being cancelled and then having to either wait one week for another flight out of Negril (direct) or making arrangements to fly out of Montego Bay. The staff at The Caves said that they don't recall having any guests arrive at Negril. They said everyone in recent memory has flown into Montego Bay.

By the way, we read a lot of comments on different travel message boards about the new road between Montego Bay and Negril. And, although it is a vast improvement from the old road, it is not much to brag about. It took us 1 1/2 hours each way.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:28 AM

I was referring to flying from MB to Negril, not directly from the states. Has anyone taken the puddle jumper?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hi all -

We saw One Drop while we were there in Nov 2001, but it was undergoing remodelling at that time. The only thing I can say is that I wasn't really keen on the location of the cottage on the property. It was set back from the cliffs, tucked to the side of the main daytime gazebo (for dining and bar). Don't get me wrong, there is not really a bad one in the bunch, but if for the same money, or even a little more $$, you can get one of the one bedrooms mentioned by McSmith I'd go for that over One Drop (BTW, we stayed in Sea Turtle).

As for getting to Negril, there are no direct (nonstop) flights there from the states - I think it may be physically impossible due to the size of the landing strip in Negril plus the fact that the Aerodrome has no lights!

We have done both - the puddle jumper from MoBay to Negril and the new road. The puddle jumper was fun - don't bother with the Air Jamaica option, go for one of the smaller operators like TimAir. They fly when you want them to - AJ has a schedule that they often don't even adhere to (they'll hold the plane to wait for more passengers). The flight takes about 15 mintutes air time, but then you have to factor in your ground time, too. One last thing to remember - if your flight from the states arrives after dusk, flying will not be an option due to the Negril aerodrome's lack of lights.

Driving is not a bad option now, though, with the new road. Get yourself a private driver who will wait for you at arrivals. With a private driver, he's ready to go when you are. You'll have a few Red Stripe on the way, and so long as you don't overdo it in that regard and have to stop for potty breaks, then you should make it in about one hour. It's a nice drive all along the coast. The only traffic will be in MoBay, getting out of the airport, and maybe in Lucea.

Come to think of it, though - the Caves will arrange for a driver for you - isn't that included in the rate?

Happy travels -
Amy
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info. Two Drop is actually a little more $ but is the only self-contained 1br. The hotel will send a car for free to the Negri airport. The transfer from Montego Bay through the hotel is $75 vs $125 for the flight.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Amy, you have been so helpful thank you, I wondered if you could humor me a bit more with my incessant questions: did you choose to have the sunset whirlpool at the caves? I am a little confused by what it is exactly - initially, I thought it was a jacuzzi that they setup with flowers and champagne etc. but I have seen people mention that it is inside a room or some such thing? Perhaps you can clarify?
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Hey Sneep -

We did not do the sunset whirlpool because for me, personally, after being in the heat and sun all day I cannot imagine settling in to a HOTtub - a cool shower, maybe, but a tub full of 100+ degree water, no thanks. But again, that's just my preference. For me, the pool at the caves was THE perfect place for sunset viewing...just grab a rum punch or two and settle in for some amazing views. Perfect.

The whirlpool itself is very cool, though. It is actually a small room, carved in to the cliff wall - stairs lead down from the main cliff area to a private door, you open the door and there is a large hot tub, surrounded by candles, set right into the cliff, with a HUGE wide open picture window (no glass or screen - just a huge cut out) looking out over the ocean. I would imagine a little late-night hot-tubbing might be fun, we just never did it. Plus with the jumbo size tub in oour room, well....

Instead, we did do the dinner one night in a different cave on site, with a table cut right into the rock, a hundred candles lit and set into the rough-hewn cave wall, and an open grotto to one side, far enough so as not to get you wet, but close enough for very unique background music. Really a romantic experience.

Happy travels!
Amy
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 02:50 AM

Hey Amy - thanks once again for your response. Your descriptions really put me right there! it all sounds simply fabulous...especially having your own bathtub - I see why there was no need for the special tub in the cliff. Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM

I can highly recommend moon shadow. We stayed there last year and had an absolutely fabulous time. It is an upstairs/downstairs unit with beautiful views of the sea. The staff is wonderful and caters to your every whim. Food is delicious, and swimming in that beautiful water, no words can describe. Have a terrific time!