Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Dix Bay vs. Caneel Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-dix-bay-vs-caneel-bay-680331/)

Sara79 Feb 16th, 2007 09:57 AM

Little Dix Bay vs. Caneel Bay

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for this July. We have already booked the 2nd half to stay at the Four Seasons on Nevis (which we have been to before), but we are trying to plan the 1st part. We were originally looking at Little Dix Bay, but then someone suggested I also look at Caneel Bay. Has anyone been to one or both? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

MIM04 Feb 16th, 2007 11:00 AM

Caneel Bay definitely over little dix. I like VG more than St John, however between the hotels themselves Caneel I think is better. Was not impressed with food or service at little dix in Dec.
good choice on FS, its fabulous!
OH, also caneel will be easier to get to!

bosoco Feb 16th, 2007 12:58 PM

Rosewood Hotels used to have a package where you could stay at both. If you can do that, I think it would be great. Virgin Gorda is a fabulous island. It is perfect for a honeymoon because it is so laid back and safe. Little Dix is a gorgeous place.

poss Feb 16th, 2007 02:24 PM

I've spoken to the differences between LD and Caneel I think on several different posts. If you do a "search" under my name, you may find useful details. Neither resort is at all luxurious in the Four Seasons sense, but the rooms at LD are better than at Caneel. (And the junior suites are great.) I think Caneel has other advantages however.
Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

xkenx Feb 16th, 2007 04:47 PM

IMO the advantage to Caneel is that the grounds are much more extensive with amazing views from the rolling hills and the SEVEN tree-shaded beaches with wade-in snorkeling. At Little Dix, all the rooms are behind a single beach, and when you get behind the banks of rooms, the grounds are kind of ordinary. Rooms and food are kind of similar at the two resorts.

xkenx Feb 17th, 2007 06:34 AM

I just noticed that you said honeymoon. Caneel is one of the most incredibly romantic places on earth. There are many places and beaches on the grounds (all 170 acres) where you'll have all kinds of privacy. The beaches are never crowded. Take a look at the video on their website. As nice as it is, it doesn't come close to doing justice to the place.

NS07950 Feb 18th, 2007 04:37 PM

I'm a regular Caneel person but have visited Little Dix. While I understand all the rooms were recently renovated and are wonderful, the biggest disadvantage is that there's just one beach (it's a long beach....but just one). At Caneel there are multiple beaches and (the big advantage from our POV) kids under 12 are only supposed to go to Caneel Beach (in front of the main desk).

littlewilson Feb 19th, 2007 09:35 AM

Caneel really seemed to be a special place to me when I visited. Little Dix, not so much.