Reload this Page >

Little Dix Bay??? Should we stay there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 03:53 PM
Stacy

I have a trip planned at Little Dix Bay for this Dec. When was the last time it was renovated? Was the food truly spectacular? I was recently in Hayman Island in The Great Barrier Reef in Australia and that was touted as the absolute best but we thought it was in need of renovation and if the weather does'nt cooperate, little to do but read. Are there interesting things to do besides snorkel and is it really worth it? Where else would you suggest 5 star accomodations that is good for a little people watching, quiet and fun for a 12 year old girl? THank you

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 04:58 PM
john

Stacy, <BR> <BR>We atayed last year. We found the food to be big city quality the best we have had in the caribbean! <BR> <BR>LDB was renovated 2 years ago after huricane. The rooms are nice and ours right on the sand!!! However far from the Ritz or Plaza. <BR> <BR>The water is great...great for kids very safe bay,which is shallow. They have a dive shop where you can take a resort class and dive..fun fun. <BR> <BR>Service was excellant and we enjoyed the resort very much, would highly recommend! <BR> <BR>E me if you need me <BR>john

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 07:16 AM
Jim

We stayed at LDB 2 years ago and loved it. We found the food to be very good. The resort is very quiet which was perfect for what we were looking for. They will taxi you to your own private beach for snorkeling or just getting away. The hospitality was excellent and the rooms were terrific as of 2 years ago. I would highly recommend it and do plan to go back.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 09:41 AM
Joel

I was at Little Dix in May; not to stay, but to dine and to get a look at the place for the future. I have to say that from the standpoint of its landscaping and general setting nestled in Little Dix Bay, I have never seen a more beautiful resort. It needs renovation about as much as Alaska needs ice cubes. In a time when, in my opinion, resorts are tending more toward Las Vegas Gaudy, Little Dix stays with sedate good taste. <BR>I will venture to say, however, that you ought to check out one other place on Virgin Gorda, Biras Creek. I stayed there this year. On the food end of things, Biras Creek is better than LDB or any other Caribbean resort I've stayed at. What really sets it apart is the fact that it is perched alone on a hub that has 3 separate bays for spokes. One bay (Deep Bay) is the most magnificent bathing beach with mountains crashing down into the water to left and right, while 150 yds of the flattest, smoothest beach imaginable is in between. Bercher's Bay is where all the bungalows are, most right on the beach and a few more nestled in the trees, and the third bay (unnamed) is where they've placed their marina. Note that they own the entirety of these bays and so there are no encroaching developments or other resorts to be seen. <BR>I don't say that you ought to go to Biras over LDB, but it would make sense to compare the two: the more traditional LDB setting to the BC setting. (Access an impartial review of Biras at Scubamom.com <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 01:16 PM
Paulo

LDB is a lovely sedate resort with aview to die for....and that's what you'll probably do...die from ennuie and pure <BR>boredom. But you will do it in style!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Paulo

LDB is a lovely sedate resort with aview to die for....and that's what you'll probably do...die from ennuie and pure <BR>boredom. But you will do it in style!

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Louis

I had to chuckle at the last posting. How True. I will not say how many years ago, but my wife and I spent a week at Caneel Bay and a week at Little Dix when they will still Rock Resorts. After that we visited the Dominican Republic and Haiti. When we arrived home we both decided that what we always remember was our time in Haiti. The problem with Caneel Bay and Little Dix was that there were not any problems. Everything was too perfect for our tastes. We like more adventure. Starwood has done a good job with both properties and if you are looking for a world class nature oriented resort you will not be disappointed. If you want Four Seasons type pampering in the tropics, the Caribbean is not the best choice for you. Indonesia is a better selection.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Stacy

Thank you all for your comments. I still can not decide whether to go. I have heard Hawaii is just so much better. I have gone there and stayed in Maui at the Grand Wailea many times and loved it. But we were ready for a change of scenery. I can't decide whether we will die of boredom and if it's really worth the money. It was on the cover of last month's Gourmet magazine. Any suggestions from people who have been to Hawaii and Little Dix Bay <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 10:17 AM
fred

my wife and I just returned from 5 days at Little Dix (and three days at sister resort, Caneel Bay, in nearby St. John). this was our fourth trip to Little Dix - first a note on room categories - even the "garden view" rooms are but a few feet from the beach - the view is simply not towards the water - if you are requesting premium room category ask for a room in the 61-64 block - these are probably the best premium rooms especially if you want to be literally footsteps from the beach - though we like the block including room 120 because it is closer to the dining pavilion and has a view of the gardens as well as the water - the food is quite fine (esp. as you are in the Caribbean and not in CHicago or New York - the seafood esp. the local is very good - try the Vigrin Gorda lobster in the Sugar Mill). <BR> <BR>I did note that you have a 12 year child - you will need to check about children in December - there may be some limitations during the high season - one comment on the dress code, too - I like dressing up for dinner and I am sure in December there is more dressing up than in the summer - I think the dress code should apply to children - at least those past toddler age - I think it a wonderful experience to come back from a day of swimming, snorkeling, boating - and then take a nice shower, put on a pair of slacks, etc. and dine at the pavilion or the suagr mill at Little Dix - yet, other parents, who have alos had to dress up allow their kids to come to dinner with shorts and a t-shirt - I don't know that there is a dress code for the kids, but I wish there were (and perhaps it might be more enforced in high season rather than in the summer) <BR> <BR>I recommend a day sail on the Spirit of Anegada - lunch wasn't great but there was plenty of beer, soda and rum punch and were allowed to snorkel at Necker Island (Richard Branson's private island) though we couldn't actually set foot on the beach - though strictly speaking the beach is public - the snorkeling was quite good and for those Anglophiles at therer - you can snorkel where the Diana and sons snorkeled! <BR> <BR>The rooms are not the ornately fancy of a Ritz or Four Seasons but very comfortable - and in keeping with the surroundings - the wine list had some wines we can no longer buy at retail (easily anyway) so we had the opportunity to drink some old favorites at prices more or less that of any restaurant in the US - it is my understanding that you can bring your own wine for a $10 corkage fee. <BR> <BR>We did the meal plan this time and enjoyed it - plenty of variety - my wife is not a buffet fan so no matter how good the MOnday night buffet she'd rather order off a menu - I suspect that in December you'll have an alternative to the MOnday night buffet - <BR>I could go on and on - We love it and will go back - don't know what the crowd would be like in December - mostly US I would think whereas in summer - especially August when our work schedule allows us to go there are a great many Europeans - Little Dix hires several interpreters during the summer months - we took a day sail with a honeymooning couple and a couple from Paris <BR> <BR>I could go on and on but will stop now - any questions, I'd be happy to answer them

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Karen

Little Dix was rennovated when Rosewood took over and took advantage of the hurricane damage to do so. Although I did hear one travel professional magazine reported the food not as wonderful as in the past! Having chosen not to return due to Kids' Club (families with kids stay in villas or a/c rooms ... all year, unlike RockResorts restrictions and the a/c rooms. Check out Biras ... it is indeed wonderful ... food is superior! Only problem for me is the biking from room to beach (three quarters of a mile). Don't know that a 12-year old would be happy at Biras however. Bored? No way ... just enjoying complete R&R in wonderful surroundings, with friendly warm service and enjoying each other's company is not boring. But then I am a beach addict and never get enuf! If you want things to do, places to go, hussle and bussle ... Virgin Gorda might not be the spot for you. I would die happily from that kind of boredom!