Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Dix Bay - Rosewood Jr. Suite (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-dix-bay-rosewood-jr-suite-668438/)

washdctrvl Jan 8th, 2007 03:26 PM

Little Dix Bay - Rosewood Jr. Suite

I will be staying at LDB for my honeymoon and am trying to decide what accomodation to choose. Was wondering if anyone had any experience in the new Rosewood Jr. Suites. I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts regarding the best rooms on the property in terms of accomodation and location such as it being quiet and close to the beach with great views. Thanks.

poss Jan 9th, 2007 05:46 AM

We stayed at Little Dix last year and loved it. We didn't stay in the Jr suites, only because they were prohibitively expensive (we weren't on our hineymoon:-)-- but we did explore them-- and WOW! They are absolutely wonderful; I simply cannot imagine anyone being disappointed. (We loved the outdoor shower, eg) They're very close to the beach, sort of close to the spa, and virtually right over the beautiful swimming pool. Views are great because they're up on a little rise from the beach. The only negative for us would have been the proximity to the pool. I'd simply rather not look at a pool-- would much rather just see the beach or the sea or the handsome landscape. My memory is that some of those jr suites are, in fact, away from the pool. If your druthers are what ours are, I'd suggest maikng those wishes known to the reservations folks, i.e. tell them you want not to overlook the pool if possible. With back facing beach, the suites more off to the right are more away from the pool view if I'm remembering correctly.
Congrats on your upcoming marriage! Let me know if you have other questions.

poss Jan 9th, 2007 05:49 AM

Oh my goodness! I really did mean to write honeymoon!!

kinners Jan 9th, 2007 12:03 PM

We were in a beachfront cottage (room 19) in December. Those are really close to the beach, but no view because of the foliage (unlike the junior suites you are at ground level).

The junior suites are maybe 150 feet to the beach--it's not a hard walk or anything but it's not like the beach is right there. The suites and the rooms by the Pavilion/spa are elevated so you get a great view (rooms 101-122).

I also heard from a couple people that the premium rooms by the beach grill and pier were noisy since the area is busy.

Rosewood will answer all questions you have.

Here is a map to give you an idea of the layout.

http://littledixbay.com/i/pdf/ldb_map.pdf

Hope this helps and you're not more confused!

washdctrvl Jan 9th, 2007 02:00 PM

poss and kinners,

Thanks for your help. I've been told that they just opened 8 additional Jr Suites rooms 37-44. I also read that it can be a bit noisy by the pier so I think I'll avoid them unless I hear otherwise. The other Jr. Suites are rooms 101-108. I believe rooms 106 and 108 would be on the second floor so the view should be good from there and those should be a way from the pool a good bit. Is that in line with your thoughts.

Again, thanks for all your help.

lauren27 Jan 9th, 2007 05:20 PM

We went to Little Dix Bay in December and stayed in room 109. It wasn't a junior suite, but from the room numbers you mentioned they are right next door. I think it's a great location--just a short walk to the beach over the lawn. Also a short walk to the pool and the pavilion--but we never heard a peep out of our neighbors or people outside while we were in our room. We had a view of the water, but it was through the foliage. I believe our room was on stilts, so there was only one floor. We were higher up than the lower level rooms next door, and slightly lower than the next door's upper floor. I remember noticing the awesome covered balconies that those rooms had. Here is a link to my pictures, and I think there are a few in there that show the view from our balcony.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=cr0bax

washdctrvl Jan 10th, 2007 09:24 AM

Lauren,

Thanks for the info. where did you find the best snorkeling?

poss Jan 10th, 2007 10:16 AM

The best snorkeling off Little Dix is on the left side (facing water). Other than that, there's not much. BUT: the water sports folks make several runs a day to various other good snorkeling beaches. They drop you off with umbrella and all-- and come back when you want. Before we went to LD, I wondered whether this system really "worked." It was great!

lauren27 Jan 10th, 2007 04:50 PM

We did not snorkel at Little Dix Bay--we tried the left side of the beach, but the water in that area was too rough and a bit churned up when we tried. Definitely take the beach drops. Mountain Trunk had great snorkeling and a wide sandy beach. But George Dog, a small island where they dropped us off had phenomenal snorkeling. The beach is small and sandy with some rocks--but it was the best snorkeling I had ever seen.

kinners Jan 12th, 2007 08:11 AM

Oh, those are suites! I saw those being built in December but did not venture inside. Yes, those rooms are right by the pier. If you need to go with a suite, I would stay in the 100 block. Have fun!