Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Little Dix Bay-Help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/little-dix-bay-help-147822/)

Chris Jul 21st, 2001 12:48 PM

Little Dix Bay-Help?

We LOVE the the beauty and charm of the BVI's . When we first visited Tortola in the 80's, there were no cruise ships and I was therefore surprised by the number of cruise passengers there when we went two years ago to stay at Long Bay Beach Resort. <BR> <BR>I was thinking of trying Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda next summer and wanted to know any input on the following: <BR> <BR>1) How is the beach outside the hotel? <BR>2) Beyond the pool, is there anything to do on the island for my 5 and 7 year old daughters to do? Can we go into "town"? Shop? Anything beyond Little Dix Bay Resort itself? Or rather is that the whole point, to just stay at Little Dix Bay the entire week? <BR>3) How STUFFY is the resort as I just want to kick back in the beauty of the BVI's

Joel Jul 21st, 2001 02:34 PM

The beach is nice, but not exceptional. It sits on a lee bay so no problem with breakers or offshore winds. Good for kids. <BR>Shopping is very limited on VG. There's a collection of small stores a short taxi ride away. Shopping/Nitelife is a definite weakness of VG. On the other hand you can catch the ferry over to Road Town and thence to Charlotte Amalia, which makes for an excellent ride and very enjoyable day trip. <BR>I'd say that VG is a nice place for kids, though. The Baths, the many beaches, the old mine, and as I recall they won't by any means be the only kids at LDB. <BR>I do not consider LDB to be stuffy. Sure the folks there are not the downtrodden masses, but I consider it a friendly place. <BR>I'm very familiar with Tortola and Long Bay BR as well as Frenchman's Cay, Sugar Mill, Ft. Recovery, etc. I think that of all those (which tend toward small) LDB would be a good choice. Hopefully, some others who see your posting may have children and may have some particulars regarding how LDB may have programs specially for kids. I don't know of any, myself. <BR>To ensure no ground is left uncovered, I believe that the other deluxe resort, Biras Creek, is way too skewed toward couples and a getaway type of vacation to be advisable. <BR>Perhaps Karen will weigh in on this posting vis a vis Peter Island which would be the other possibility, but I don't recall seeing much in the way of 5-7 year olds there.

Karen Jul 21st, 2001 07:26 PM

Actually it is my understanding that LDB has a good children's program and Kids' Camp. It is located behind the Beach House. The families stay in either the premium rooms or the villas. The beach is lovely! Wonderful! To the best of my knowledge there is no pool at LDB unless they have very recently added it. There are some small shopping areas, you can explore, visit the Baths, take trips to other islands, be dropped off at a "deserted island" for a picnic lunch. It is a wonderful place to kick back and enjoy best what the BVI has - wonderful beaches and one giant sandbox! Biras did limit the age of young guests probably due to the bike riding. Peter Island is an option but don't know what they offer in the way of children's activities. I know that they have provided nanny's for couples with little ones but have no idea how much that runs or how it is arranged. The families stay in the Ocean/Gardenview area overlooking Tortola next to the pool and lobby near Tradewinds restaurant.

Karen Jul 21st, 2001 07:28 PM

Oh! forgot! LDB offers the second room at half price for the children in the off season. I don't know if the rooms connect or not but I don't recall that being an option.

Tim Jul 25th, 2001 05:59 AM

Chris, <BR> <BR>I stayed at Little Dix from 7/9/01 to 7/13/01. The beach was awesome. It is on a calm bay and has decent snorkeling right off the beach(and not too deep for the kids) There is no pool at the resort but with the bay as calm as it is you really don't miss it. Also, there are kayaks, sailboats and other watersports you can use for free. <BR> <BR>As far as going into town you are VERY close to Spanish Town($4 cab ride). There are some different restaurants you can check out there but overall it is not a typical town. Not much shopping, no real town center. Renting a boat is a fun activity to visit other beaches and resorts. <BR> <BR>As far as it being stuffy. I would say it is a quiet resort. People go there to get away and relax not play pool volleyball, etc... You won't be disappointed at LDB.

x Jul 31st, 2001 05:35 AM

Does Little Dix offer windsurfing?

penny Jul 31st, 2001 08:05 AM

I think so, Caneel their sister property does.

Judi Jul 31st, 2001 04:42 PM

My husband and I have been to LDB three times in the last 10 years. What others have said is true: no pool, wonderful 1/2 mile long beach perfect for children, many other beach options (the Boston whalers will take you to whatever beach you want and pick you up at a specified time), child-care program. If you are looking for a wild time, this is not the place. If you want laid-back luxury, excellent food, awesome snorkeling (including terrific half-day trips), this is THE PLACE. One caveat: not all rooms are air-conditioned. It's worth the extra $25/day. People with kids are all housed in one area (the North end of the resort). Hiking trails where you'll see wild goats are close to the rooms. Oh, they do have tennis courts, if your kids play.

sharon Jul 1st, 2002 07:39 AM

Can you rent a boston whaler at Little Dix Bay? What about Caneel Bay?

chris Jul 1st, 2002 07:50 AM

Am heading for LDB in August -- have heard kids are housed at north end of resort but wwhen I called, I was told there is only an east or west end. Would like to be AWAY from young children -- can anyone advise???????<BR>Thank you.

Chris C. Jul 1st, 2002 11:38 AM

Dear Chris,<BR>We were at LDB this past May and loved it. The beach is fantastic and offers great snorkeling right off of Little Dix's shore. <BR>We don't have kids but they have a great kid's camp and program. The place is not overrun by kids by any means and they treat everyone with courtesy and are very welcoming.<BR>Spanish Town is not really a center for shopping or walking. I would suggest going to St. John for the day or Tortola for shopping. <BR>LDB is builing a pool (you won't need one with that beach)and bigger spa. I would go back to LDB in a heartbeat and I liked it much better than Bitter End and Caneel Bay.<BR>No stuffiness - just casual elegance.