Reload this Page >

Lighthouse Pointe rooms, Our Lucaya, Grand Bahama

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:53 PM
steph

Hi, I've done a search already on Our Lucaya, and am not sure what to think. The reviews are so mixed. Many complaints about waiting to check in, waiting for food, lots of waiting. <BR><BR>Is there a difference in the service depending on which part of the resort you stay in? We like the sound of Lighthouse Pointe rooms, is the wait to check into those long? Is it really so bad that it might be worth spending more money to fly to and stay on another island altogether? I like the price of this resort, the price of air tickets to Grand Bahama, and the relatively short flight time to get there. Is the inexpensiveness of it all too good to be true?<BR><BR>Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Danny

Steph,<BR> The check-in time required depends a great deal on how you get to GBI. If you come in on a plane load full of, say, 300 people, chances are a large number of them are going to end up at Our Lucaya. That means a long line of people checking in. That means up to an hour of waiting in line, and that happens in ANY hotel in the world when there are that many folks trying to get in at the same time. If you change your plans and move to something like the Bahamia Resort (soon to be Royal Oasis, run by Holiday Inn) you will find the same thing, because another very large group of the original 300 will probably be going there, since it is far and away the second biggest resort on the island. I do not agree with complaints about service I've seen in some postings. Yes, there are times where you may become frustrated that things are slow, but that's true throughout the Bahamas. One of the things I tell people to be prepared for when going to the Bahamas is that the Bahamian people do NOT rush to do anything. Never have and never will, and that's something that is not unusual anywhere in the Caribbean. We have experienced our own frustrations at Our Lucaya but nothing that would prevent us from going again, and we do NOT get the benefit of a reduced package because our trips are during school vacation weeks when prices are never lowered. If you are interested go to my web site at http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm and take a look at the extensive trip report I posted there from our February trip (on the links page), or view a lot of GBI via the 100 plus pictures posted on two different links. Amateur site but it at least gives you an idea of where you are going. Lighthouse Point is easily the most isolated of the three hotels at the resort and the most expensive. I don't think, however, that the type service you will get is going to be different because you are there. Almost all of the restaurants are centrally located in the resort (close to the Manor House, where EVERYONE checks in) and Breaker's Cay, the high rise in the center of the resort. The one place we were told by reliable people to avoid is China Beach. Their service is supposedly not only bad, but filled with rude employees. That's just one of several nice, but very expensive, restaurants in the resort. We did not experience problems at Barracuda's in Reef Village, Willy Broadleaf's in Breaker's Cay and had excellent service (almost like being nagged to death) at Churchill's Chop Shop at the Manor House and Portabella's up near Lighthouse Point. If you can stand not being waited upon hand and foot, and immediately, in most places, including those outside the resort, I think you'd love it. <BR><BR>Danny<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:04 PM
steph

Danny, thank you for so much information! I checked out your website. The entire place looks HUGE! Almost too huge. I'm glad to have seen the pictures. We have 3 very well behaved (smile!) young children who we would take with us, and I'm afraid the distances between things would get very tiring for their little legs, and for us when we end up carrying them. We don't have a 3 seater stroller! I don't want to feel worn out on a trip like that just from dragging the kids everywhere. We're a very active family who can handle lots of walking, but it might get to be too much, esp. staying at Lighthouse Pointe. It looks the nicest, and seems to be closest to the sand, and the infinity pool looks heavenly. Hmmm. Lots to consider. Thanks again for your help!<BR><BR>Steph

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Danny

Steph,<BR> Our Lucaya has free shuttle transportation going all day long from one end of the resort to the other in the form of limousine type golf carts. Check with the bell captain when you get there to see how often they run and where you can grab one if you want to get from one end of the resort to the other. Look up a bell guy named Olsen (one of the tallest and older of them all). Tell him Nancy and Danny mentioned to you that he would take care of you in this regard. <BR><BR>Danny

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
me

Reef Village is the family friendly area of the resort. I agree with service in the Bahamas. Very laid back and relaxed but 9 out of 10 times it is very friendly. You culd expect this anywhere in the Caribbean.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:23 AM
chris

i just got back from our lucaya last week, and i have to say, i did not have a great time. i am from the west coast and maybe i am spoiled by hawaii, but i doubt i would ever go back. our room that breakers cay was great, great view. i have to admit, i go on vacation for several reasons, one of which is to eat great food (no dieting!!). the food there, although not awful, was just a little off everywhere we went. from the restaurants at the resort, to the market place across the street. fat man's nephew was the first place we went, but is was downhill from then on. i am not trying to bash the place, but most of the people i incountered, especially outside the resort, seemed annoyed that we were there. anyway, for what its worth, if you live on the west coast, i'd stick with hawaii.