Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Leaving Sunday! Any word on storm damage in Negril?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
The Bride

Help! We're leaving on Sunday for Negril, and I can't find any info on possible storm damage there. I'm hoping that's good news!<BR><BR>Any first-hand info on this? While we're at it, what are the top three things we should do while we're there?<BR><BR>Thanks for the help.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
tweedy

Before you get ready to go, I would get in touch with the resort to make sure they are operating fully. The island did take a hit from the storm but not sure how severe.<BR><BR>Hope you have trip insurance, because there is another storm headed in that direction now as well.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:13 PM
fyi

www.wunderground.com/tropical <BR>http://stormcarib.com<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:48 PM
tivertonhouse

Talked to island this am, as I arrive Monday.Most storm damage was in Clarendon and St.Catherine parishes --in the mountains near Mandeville, quite a ways from Negril. A few trees down on the South Coast main roads, some strong water,but no big mash-ups or ground seas. Keep an eye out tho on the next one, Lily. Go to www.jamaicans.com for top 10 lists and overviews in archives.<BR>I'd do a day trip to YS Falls/Black River with lunch at Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse or snorkeling at Font Hill Sanctuary. Contact Carolyn Barrett of Barrett Adventures in Bluefields Bay<BR>[email protected] -- for a great island-wide private guide service that goes way beyond the obvious. Check The Gleaner/the national newspaper/online for latest weather updates -- and then ingore them all and have a great trip.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:09 AM
tivertonhouse

Lily/Lili,now over the Barbados/ Leewards, is projected to loop up over Haiti/The DR and Cuba, avoiding Jamaica.<BR>The backseas from Isidore in the Gulf<BR>may bring some wind and rain to Negril,but nothing major -- and it's warm rain. Kyle is a concern only to Bermuda.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Lisa

I wouldn't be so sure. The latest from <BR>Stormcarib.com:<BR><BR>September 24, 2002 12:30PM EDT -<BR>Over open waters Lili has crossed the island chain (the center of the storm went over Mayreau, just in between Canouan and Union in the Grenadines, see the earlier map I made). The reports from the special hurricane correspondents indicate that most of the damage done by this tropical storm was north of the center. Barbados had considerable damage, as well as the northern and eastern side of St.Vincent. One of my correspondents sadly had to report at least 4 casualties on St.Vincent (though I haven't had any confirmation of that). In any case, cleanup is in full swing, and for the islands things should be back to normal soon.<BR>Now Lili is over open water, with the warm sea surface temperatures there is lots of energy available to strengthen. It is now with 70 mph very close to hurricane strength. Despite the high SSTs, Lili is not expected to become a major category 3 hurricane, mostly because the storm is not that well organized and has a quite a-symmetrical look.<BR>Where will it go...? The official 3 day forecast brings the storm over Haiti in about 2 days, though a more westernly track is very well possible, so people on Jamaica should be on alert as well. Also, this storm covers quite a large area. The outflow of this system is currently causing gusty weather over the northeastern islands like Antigua, St.Maarten/St.Martin, USVI and BVI, and soon Puerto Rico as well.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
tivertonhouse

Thanks for update/been watching Lili updates online/ja reports like a hawk but am still headed down Monday as long as AIR JAMAICA is flying.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:06 PM
The Bride

Thank you all for the information. I suppose if we have to stay in the room the entire trip, we'll be able to find something to do!<BR>We're headed down, too, as long as the airline is flying!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:32 PM
tivertonhouse

Bride:The road between Negril and Sav might be rough but the falls at YS will be at their strongest and most incredible -- a good time to visit, even in the rain. Stop at Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse en route for some pumpkin soup and bluecrab cakes. Pack a lightweight slicker and some waterproof boots or what Jamaicans call 'high-water boots' and have fun. The rains gonna make it difficult for Jamaican politicians running for re-election this year on the ' Pothole-Free By 2003'<BR>previous campaign promise....

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:18 AM
BuDNiP

Tivertonhouse,<BR><BR>Has the elections been called for and a date set? How is the PM race shaping up ?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:36 AM
beach lover

elections are set for wednesday oct. 16th<BR><BR>check www.jamaicagleaner.com or www.jamaicaobserver.com for details on the race

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:01 PM
tivertonhouse

Jamaica seems to be taking this one rather ho-hum since the choices are all too familiar, as is the economyJ,Goldie and Eddie. It's like a rematch of Gore/Bush/Nader. PJ the odds-on re-electee, tho changes at the parish level...