Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Leaving for T&C in 3 days. Any last min advise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for T&C in 3 days (yays!). Two families with 3 kids total, ages 3-7 yo. Staying the the Alexandra resort. Any recommendations on the restaurants? Ideally, we'd like to eat at places that would have creative, interesting food and still be able to bring kids there (our kids are very used to restaurants, being NYC kids).
We are not planning to rent a car... should we?
We are staying right on the Grace Bay Beach which we heard is the best on the island but are there any other beaches worth visiting?
Any other recommendations/suggestions would be really appreciated!
Thank you,
Anna
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 02:07 AM

Yes to car. Although fun to walk around during the day, there are some dark stretches at night so after dinner you'll need transportation. Taxi cost more. You'll also need a car to explore. The kids will get get giddy at Sapadilla and Taylor Bays. They are shallow for hundreds of yards. They'll be so excited running through through the water and sand bars.

Take them to Coral Gardens (car again, although you can walk, kinda far with little ones). To learn to snorkel. The rocks and reefs start in shallow water and clear patches of sand, so they can stand a little and just stick head in. Like Finding Nemo. When they get braver they can get closer to the real reef, or if scared still start seeing fish around their comfort zone.

Restaurants all take kids except Anacaona. They usually do prefer you take them ealier than later. (6 as opposed to 7:30 for example). Mango Reef at Alex has live music Tuesdays and Fridays, and sometimes set up tables in the sand (kids love that)

Hemingways at Sands resort has live music many nights. I've seen kids dance while parents dine.

Bay Bistro is close by and excellent to eat too. If you don't see a kids menu always ask, most chefs will make something for kids.

Kids also love Tiki Hut, go Wed night for the ribs special. big Als hamburgers just opened in Saltmills too. Huge burgers so have them share(or get sliders)

If water is calm (you'll see if there are breaks on the reef or not from the beach) take an excursion with Caicos Dream Tours or Island Vibes. Catamaran power boats to uninhabited Cays with stunning beaches. Kids can look for iguanas and giant red starfish.

Alex probably had leftover beach toys the kids can borrow. If not at right of IGA Gourmet supermarket entrance sells all kind of beach toys including cheap noodles.

Please post a couple of pictures when you return, I need a fix!

8-)
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your response, blamona! My husband is a diver, any tips for him by any chance? Also, for the car, do you think we need to pre-book now or we can rent it once we are there?
Thanks so much again!
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:23 AM

You can rent once there this time of year

I like small groups for diving, Flamingo Divers is excellent. I also like Caicos Adventures.

West Caicos is great for diving, it's where most dives go.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I also recommend renting a car. Diving is easy, even if it is on the left, because there is not much traffic except downtown. One cab ride (to & from) a day will usually cover the cost of a car.

Blamona always has good advice on her favorite place.

I'd like to add "The Conch Shack" and/or "Horse Eyed Jacks" (right next to each other) for lunch or even dinner. Very casual and the kids will have fun choosing a conch shell or trinkets right on the beach.

Another good dinner choice is "Baci" for outstanding pizza in addition to delicious regular dinners. Good view on the water and lots of families.

Also you could check which nights they have music at Ocean Club West (where we stay) as the restaurant deck on the beach is very good for kids with a nice kids menu.

If you want more high end, our favorite is "Coco Bistro." Hard to get in, call right away when you get on island. We've been there many times and always see tables with kids at them. Gorgeous setting in a palm tree area, excellent food(if high priced) and a very cute cat "Coco" coming around the tables looking for pets and treats---that is if you like cats.

Another higher end (after all you are used to NY prices) is "The Deck" at Seven Starrs. They also have live music, check which nights, and we seem to see lots of kids dancing around. It's more casual food. They do have a gourmet restaurant but it's very quiet.

Yikes! I'm getting carried away. You asked for creative, interesting food. For fantastic French food try "Le Bouchon" at Regent Village. The tables are outside and the food is outstanding. Again, when we were there we sat next to several tables with adorable, well behaved children.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Some excellent recommendations here - my island boys like them all ... asked one of them the other day 'what's our fav local restaurant?' - his response - love hangin on the beach at Bugaloos dad - https://www.facebook.com/bugaloos.conchcrawl?fref=ts and the coconut conch fritters are da best!