Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Leaving Boston in January for warmth.. HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/leaving-boston-in-january-for-warmth-help-952031/)

jdvc1389 Sep 28th, 2012 10:05 AM

Leaving Boston in January for warmth.. HELP

My boyfriend and I have been trying to book a trip somewhere warm enough to tan and swim in January. We are probably staying 4-5 nights and are on a limited budget.

We looked into AI resorts and they seem to be the most bang for our buck, especially considering we are flying all the way from Boston, but we are open to other suggestions. I have stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya (Mexico) and Iberostar Rose Hall (Jamaica) and really enjoyed both.

We were thinking of doing PR or DR but we have no idea where to even begin looking for a great deal. Anyone have any good experiences or suggestions to share?

Bassguy66 Sep 28th, 2012 10:21 AM

I think if you give a little more info for what your needs are it would be easier to suggest a place. Starting with Budget....then what your "must haves" are....like beach, watersports, shopping, food, etc.

KVR Sep 28th, 2012 11:53 AM

There are not any AI resorts in the PR like what you will find in Mexico and Jamaica. There are a few hotels with AI plans.

The DR is one of the areas like Mexico and Jamaica known for their AI resorts. If you liked the Iberostars, that chain is in the DR also.

Also, look at Cozumel. Great bang for your buck. Cute town and great snorkeling.

RoamsAround Sep 28th, 2012 12:50 PM

We need to know how "limited" your budget actually is. You see those types of terms ("limited" "affordable", "most bag for your buck" are meaningless unless we have a dollar point of reference. we also need to know of your budget includes airfare or is it just for accommodations.

Lot's of AI's in the Dominican Republic, Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen so begin your search there.

suze Sep 28th, 2012 03:11 PM

If you're looking at lower priced All-Inclusives I would start with Punta Cana DR, Negril Jamaica, and the "mayan riviera" of Mexico around Playa del Carmen.

With such a short vacation I'd also consider where you can get a nonstop flight (if anywhere).

islebethere Sep 28th, 2012 08:48 PM

For 4 to 5 nights, Grenada might not be practical. We're in Boston and love Grenada, but getting there is a pain from here.

sharona Sep 29th, 2012 05:18 AM

Head south young man... er woman. Personally I find the more northern islands too cool in the dead of winter. The water is cool and the wind can be downright chilly. For a limited budget and ease of travel from Boston (I'm in Boston, too) I would look at Aruba. It's far enough south to find warm air and water. You can sometimes find a direct flight and it's one of the less expensive islands. There's a huge variety of restaurants to fit every budget and you can often find reasonable air/hotel package deals.

KVR Sep 29th, 2012 06:57 AM

Though I love Aruba, I have to disagree that it's one of the lesser expensive Islands. Air and a regular hotel package from my departure airport in Texas runs double + for what I can get an AI resort and air for in Mexico. Then you have to add on food and drinks in Aruba. They only reason why we have not returned. It's also a 5 hour direct flight from Houston, while Mexico is only 2 hours. Aruba really needs a good 7 days or more due to the long distance.

I know you said you have already been to Jamaica, but look at the Jewel Dunns River in Ocho Rios. A much different area and a great couples only AI. We stayed 5 nights last December and got a great price. Pools and ocean temps perfect for swimming, and the weather beautiful. We really enjoyed our stay.

However, depending on what your "limited budget" is, I still contend Cozumel would be your best bet price wise.

diann24 Sep 29th, 2012 11:33 AM

I agree with KVR on most what he said. however flying from Boston to Aruba non stop is about 4 hours or so. not so bad. I doubt you will go any place in the Caribbean for less time providing it is non stop of course. Difficult from Texas to get non stop but from the east coast easily done--for a price! Other than that Aruba is not always so cheap although you can eat cheap with typical chains TGIF Wendy's etc. if that is what you want. I would try to look into applevacations.com and see what they might have in package deals. Mexico, would be my first choice for al AI I am not a fan of the DR but for the time frame and price you might get lucky there. Your time frame is high end season. Also check into cheapcaribbean.com People are saying they are finding great deals there but do try and get non stop for 5 days. good luck.

sharona Sep 29th, 2012 01:28 PM

Aruba is popular with Bostonians and you can often find air/hotel package deals. And outside of all-inclusives I still think Aruba is an affordable destination. We've been to quite a few islands and Aruba is far from the more expensive ones. You don't need to rent a car and there is a large range of dining options. Jet Blue has non-stop flights from Boston. Plus Aruba is far enough south to be assured of warm weather and water in January.

In addition to the resources diann lists above you might want to check Jet Blue Vacations:

https://www.jetblue.com/vacations/?i...plan_vacations

You can find some good air/hotel deals there.

But I do agree that some AI's in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR will give you the best bang for the buck. It would be helpful to know a dollar amount rather than "limited budget." Limited budget might not mean the same thing to me as it does to you.