Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Lavender Hill/Cruz Views (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/lavender-hill-cruz-views-162025/)

atc_atlanta Jan 12th, 2003 03:06 PM

Lavender Hill/Cruz Views

I realize there are older posts on these two places to stay, but I was hoping someone who recently visited St. John might have some input. We are trying to decide between the two and would just like some more info (have seen the websites and pictures, but eyewitness accounts tend to be more accurate). One account I read said that LH can be noisy - any opinions? We will be visiting in May but have found limited availability in most places (cheap rooms at the Westin are gone, Estate Lindholm is booked, etc). Thanks for the input!

Sherri Jan 12th, 2003 04:58 PM

We are going to St John in a couple of <BR>weeks. What criteria are you looking <BR>for, ie. pool, views, proximity to Cruz<BR>Bay, etc?<BR>Email if I can help.

atc_atlanta Jan 13th, 2003 05:29 AM

Thanks Sherri! I am interested in learning more about the locations and condition of the 2. I know LH is close to town - is that good or bad (never been to St. John). Is it noisy in town? (Remember, I live in a very big city, so noise is in the eye of the beholder in this case. I don't want to hear traffic jams, but a fishing boat unloading would mean I'm on vacation!). Is Cruz View so far out of town and up the hill that it wouldn't be a good idea? What types of views at Cruz Views. Do these places appear to be clean and in good condition? I don't think there are any &quot;unsafe&quot; areas in Cruz Bay, so I guess I'm not so worried about the neighborhoods. My travel agent did warn me that there is a cemetary just below LH. That doesn't really bother me, though. It's above ground, so there could possibly be some neat architectural things there.<BR><BR>In addition, I'm sure all of us checking the boards would like an update when you get back for restaurant info, BVI charters, etc. This board has been a HUGE help to me in figuring this trip out. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!!! And thank you for your help. Don't worry about it if you never see these 2 places - it wouldn't bother me a bit if you are out enjoying your vacation!

Mary Jan 13th, 2003 05:47 AM

I've stayed at both places and my preference would be for Lavender Hill primarily for convenience sake. It's a very easy walk into town so you don't need a car to go to dinner or shopping etc. The only nights there was a noise issue are the two nights a week that Fred's has live music and that's only till 1am. It wasn't an issue for us since one night we were at Fred's dancing and the other night we could hear it but it wasn't so loud that it disturbed us. Fred's is about 3 blocks or so away from LH. The units at LH are slightly better maintained than Cruz Views.<BR><BR>All that said, I like Cruz Views also. You are further away from town but that does mean it will be quieter. The units are clean and well equipped. You will definitely need a car to go anywhere if you stay at Cruz Views but you will also pay slightly less than at LH. Each has it's good points and you'll most likely be happy at either one.<BR>Have fun!

Sherri Jan 13th, 2003 05:33 PM

Email me and I can give you some details. Sherri

atc_atlanta Jan 15th, 2003 08:30 AM

Mary, which unit did you stay in at Lavender Hill?

joan Jan 19th, 2003 02:27 PM

Just returned from St John. Stayed in 3rd floor Unit #3 at Lavender Hill. Were there New Years week and it was noisy, but an absolutely fabulous location and view! We were so happy to just sit on the deck and watch all the ferry boats and had the best view for sunset anywhere. Then after dark, just walk into town. Late night music in town was noisy and ferrys start up at about 6:30 but you really don't mind because of the great spot!<BR>Joan

Sherri1 Feb 27th, 2003 05:57 PM

We're back after 10 days on St John. Any questions I can answer?<BR>Sherri

tropicon Mar 7th, 2003 10:13 AM

I have never stayed at Cruz Views, but I am very well informed on Lavender Hill. Noise from town does reach the units, but I find it enjoyable as long as it doesn't go on all night (like during Carnival!)Units that face town will be most susceptible to the noise! However, the spaciousness of the units along with the convenient location over ride the inconvenience of any noise from town IMO! I pull the hurricane shutters, turn on the air conditioner, and ignore everything else!