Last minute warm Thanksgiving travel ideas????

Sep 17th, 2002, 04:37 AM
NotTheEarlyBirdThisTime

Last minute warm Thanksgiving travel ideas????

Before you bash me, I will tell you I just posted a similar post on the US board----but we just haven't had any luck thus far, & we would also love any good ideas to the Cariabbean...
We have decided last minute to get away over Thanksgiving to somewhere warm, our family and friends of ours, total number of people 8.
Unfortunately everything is looking more booked than we anticipated.....(tried Cancun, with horrible flight results.....also tried Florida....not too many good options there either.) We do usually plan ahead to avoid this type of situation (booked our New Year's Negril, Jamaica trip months go) but if we can wing it, we would love to be somewhere warm with our family over Thanksgiving, do want to throw in the towel yet.
Any ideas for a warm destination, children ages range from 12-14 for both families....Enjoy sun and fun activities. Should also mention we wanted to go Sat-Sat to avoid Thanksgiving rush. The Sat before to the Sat after Thanksgiving.
Thanks in advance!

Sep 17th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Jennifer

Where are you leaving from?

Sep 17th, 2002, 05:05 AM
NotTheEarlyBirdThisTime

Yes, Jennifer, sorry I should have stated that as well-we are leaving from Minneapolis, MN.

Sep 17th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Nancy

Hi Not,
Many of the airlines/travel sites don't release their good fare sales and lower proces for accommodations for Thanksgiving until they are sure they can't book anymore trips at full price for the high season.
You kind of have to gamble and keep checking the prices.
The good news is that you do not have your heart set on any particular place there, so you can jump on a good deal when it appears.
Traveling with 8 may make it more difficult to find something, but keep checking the sites. We regularly wait until Oct. to book for Thanksgiving, and usually have success finding what we want.
Good luck!

Sep 17th, 2002, 05:27 AM
lawren

You picked a really tough week! We go to St John that week. Booked the villa in February and still had to go the 22nd through the 29th to get good airfare.

There still is one very nice villa with 4 bdrms available:
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/gifthill/gifthill.html

But the airfare is nearly $900/person from your location on those dates! OUCH!

Have you looked into Puerto Rico? We have had a great time staying in Palmas del Mar in Humacao. They have condos there, 3 mile beach, golf, tennis, horseback. At least you stand a chance of better airfare....

Just a thought.
L

Sep 17th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Jennifer

I checked into a few options. One that I thought might be great, would be a cruise on Royal Caribbean's new Explorer of the Seas. This ship is great for adults and kids. They have rock climbing, ice skating, movie theaters, basketball courts, etc. Tons of things for everyone. It is one of the newest and largest afloat. If a family of 4 were to do this with airfare, cruise, taxes and port charges the total would be around $5100 for the family. This might be an option for you, depending on what you are looking to spend. I did see several other cruises that may be less also. Let me know if you need more details.

Sep 17th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Bird

Thank you all for your suggestions!