Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   last minute vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/last-minute-vacation-631252/)

krl Jul 16th, 2006 05:52 AM

last minute vacation

Hi,

My husband, 19 year old daughter, and myself are planning a last minute vacation. We wanted to go to the BVI's for 5 nights...have got air into Beef Island. The hard part is figuring out where to stay. After doing lots of research, still unsure. We are looking for a place where we can chill out and relax on a nice beach and also use as a home base for exploring the island. We would love to stay at a place where we have access to watersports (sunfish, hobie cats, kayaks) and tennis courts. I have looked into Long Bay Beach Resort, but after reading posts, am concerned that we can't swim in front of the resort. we also would like to stay in a place on the water. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. We are going the end of this month. Thanks!

traciedee Jul 16th, 2006 07:17 AM

Try the Lighthouse Villas in Cane Garden Bay. You can walk to several bars and restaurants and the beach is suppose to be great. We are going in Nov and it looks like a perfect base to explore other islands and beaches. Lighthouse appeals to me as I have heard it is nice, it gets good reviews, has a/c, tv and internet connection. But most of all because I like the idea of just being able to walk to dinner and a drink on the beach at sunset. You can rent water toys on Cane Garden Bay at a couple of different places.

Moglet Jul 16th, 2006 09:42 AM

I tend to agree with traciedee that Cane Garden Bay may be the best location for you. However, if you intend to hire a car then there are many more places open to you - most beaches etc are within a short drive. Take a look at Sebastians Seaside Villas or their rooms on the beach in Apple Bay - great place to stay and within 10 mins drive to Cane Garden Bay for watersports and 5 mins over the hill to Long Bay and their tennis courts (BTW, the tennis courts at Long Bay are available to non-residents for a small fee). There are a few restaurants in Apple Bay such as Coco Plums within walking distance. If you would prefer to be in Cane Garden Bay then, as well as Lighthouse Villas as previously mentioned, check out Agape Cottages - they also get very good reviews.

If you choose to stay at Long Bay, just walk towards the west of the bay for better swimming - less rocks. Smuggler's Cove for good swimming and snorkeling is just a 5 mins drive from Long Bay or a 20-25 mins hike along an unpaved road.

Hope you have a great time wherever you choose to stay.

krl Jul 16th, 2006 03:56 PM

Thanks for your response. Another question: Is there a ferry over to JVD from Tortola? Where would we catch it and about how much does it cost? Thanks for all your help.

Moglet Jul 17th, 2006 12:08 AM

The ferry from Tortola to JVD goes from the West End ferry terminal. You can view the ferry timetable on www.bviwelcome.com, click on Ferries on rhs and then scroll down to New Horizon. Round trips cost $20/pp

krl Jul 17th, 2006 08:25 AM

Thanks so much for that site...got the schedule now.