Last minute trip to PR. I have a question.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute trip to PR. I have a question.

We are planning to go to Puerto Rico for 10 days in a last minute trip, from July 13 to the 23rd.
Is Vieques crowded this time of the year?
We are planning to go to S Juan and 4 days to Vieques, and we are concerned that we may not find lodging or car rental easy...
Many thanks for any response.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:34 PM

July is "off season" for tourism in the Caribbean and while San Juan is generally crowded all year round (as are most cities) you should still be able to find lodging and rental cars fairly easily. As for Vieques, it should be even easier to find accomodations and a rental car as it is usually never very crowded, even in peak season. You should have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM

We made last minute plans this past weekend to Vieques for July 4th for 7 days. The island must be slammed because I called more than 5 rental car companies and they were sold out as well as accomodations. Got lucky with one Martineau's Car Rental though. He had 2 cars left! And you do need a car. The fun hotel, Bravo!, is small so I would make reservations now for hotel, car and the air over -- small planes so only a handful of seats anyway (Cape Air, Vieques Air Link, Flamingo Air, Sunshine, MN Aviation and others). This website has a newsletter that is very helpful with lots of phone numbers.

www.enchanted-isle.com/vieques

Click on Vieques Events and you'll get their newsletter.

Have fun. We leave in less than 48 hrs and really looking forward to the trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses.
We are also looking foward for a well deserved vacation...
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Just wanted to point out that although July is the "low season" for tourism from outside, July is peak season for internal tourism. Puerto Rican families will be out in throngs heading to the beach all through July (there's quite a few official holidays in PR in July). It will be a lot easier finding lodging and car rentals in San Juan (where the locals don't vacation) than in Vieques (where locals go for vacation). So, yes, expect Vieques to be more crowded than usual and expect difficulties in getting lodging and car there. Start looking for reservations now.