Reload this Page >

last minute trip after Christmas w/ a 13 yr old daughter

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter has written her Christmas list and on it is "want to spend vacation time alone w/Mom in a warm place." I am just glad she wants to spend time w/me, esp. traveling. I am getting interested in the warm vacation part of her request and an thinking of taking her somewhere in the Caribbean between Christmas and New Years, 1/26 - 1/1.

Where should I look for a warm destination that will keep a 13 (14 in early Feb.) girl happy w/sunning, swimming (and would love some snorkeling), other activities (she is very active and gets bored easily) and shopping? Is it too late to plan a trip for that busy time in late Dec.?

I am open to any and all suggestions. We would be leaving from D.C., either IAD, DCA, or BWI airports. I had originally booked that week in NYC but we go there fairly frequently and this sounds more interesting. I have only been to islands off of Mexico (Cozumel and Isla Mujeres) many yrs. ago, BK (before kids).

Please don't slam me, this is my first Caribbean post although I am very active on the U.S. and Asia boards.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
emd
Original Poster

oops, I meant 12/26 and 1/1.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:28 AM

It will be VERY tough to find a place this late. There's normally a minimum of a week. Christmas week & President's Day week is the busiest time in the Caribbean.

Where will you be coming from? You can try some of the places in the Virgin Islands (usually easy to get ot & shopping, beaches & lots to do) as well as Sint Maarten.

What kind of budget are you looking at?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really is late to be planning a trip for that extrememly busy week. At this point you might want to contact a travel agent with one of the bigger companies like Liberty Travel and see what, if anything, is available.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:05 AM

I played around a couple of places, it's going to be tough-even if you're flexable (2 days before/after/) They only airfares I could find were $1000 to $1800 per person! (The lower side leaving on Christmas evening, or 26th evening.)
The only packages I could find were to Punta Can Dominican Republic-and were $3000 per person!
I did not play around every single island-I know in the past, DR seems to be the only place avalaible last minute for the break. I tried Mexico, no luck. I tried St. Martin. I found you airfare to Turks and Caicos, didn't look for rooms.
You are going to have to inlist in a travel agent-good luck! and let us know if you find anything!

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:10 AM
emd
Original Poster

OK, thanks everyone. If I can pull anything together, I am thinking more of Mexico now.

blamona, when you said you tried Mexico without luck, did you mean for flights?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM

emd: try kayak.com-will direct you to best website for airfare.
I came up with DCA to Cancun on your dates on Mexicana airlines for under $1600 for both of you. ($780? each) Cancun is the hub for Cozumel, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, even Akumal and some other places. The more choices, the more luck you'll have finding a room.
Let us know what you find!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM

I also played around Expedia.com
Real Playa Del Carmen package (air, hotel and ALL Inclusive) runs about $3150 for both.
If you play around expedia.com on vacation packages, you can find Cancun for around $3400 for both.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:38 AM

hi emd, if you are considering mexico take a look at locogringo.com they connect to most of the all inclusives and hotels between cancun and tulum. and their site has more information in one place, with respect to this area, than any other i have found.
i looked at tntvacations and they have packages avail. from 3616 to 5916 to mexico. for punta cana, dom rep from 3300 to 5226. both out of ronald reagan. similiar pkgs from dulles.
i would personally advice mexico as there is so much out of the resorts to do. ruins, water parks (xel-ha and x-caret), shopping in playa del carmen or cozumel. dom rep not known as the safest place to be off the resorts property but gorgeous beaches.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM

We often use a website called www.travel.aol.com for their last minute getaways. There are many packages to the Caribbean and Mexico. You might look into it to see if it's something that might work for you.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the larger travel agencies book blocks of rooms and flights for the holidays. I still would contact a good TA.