Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Last minute - solo, self-reflection, sun, serene (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/last-minute-solo-self-reflection-sun-serene-1107414/)

KatieDC May 15th, 2016 02:23 PM

Last minute - solo, self-reflection, sun, serene

I'm doing some last minute solo travel in late May or early June for 4-5 days. This trip is all about recharging after a aeries of difficult life events.

I've been to several islands (Turks, St. Lucia, Aruba, Bahamas, Grand Cayman) but all lacked the tropical vegetation I associate with island getaways. I suspect I really need to look beyond the Caribbean but I'm an east coast resident and can't spend the extra two days traveling. I don't plan to leave the resort. Below are ideal features that I'm looking for although I know it might not be possible to get them all. I would really appreciate some recommendations.

* Lots of vegetation
* A beach with cabanas or umbrellas, preferably private or at least with some natural variation to the coastline so the resort feels like it's on its own
* Privacy - courtyards, nooks, or other seating areas on the property
* A tranquil, calm, relaxed, zen-like atmosphere that will encourage recharging
* Amazing pool - infinity, cabanas, vegetation, or something else that adds interest (mulitple pools would be even better)
* Spa (not required but a bonus)
* Amazing customer service
* Budget is under $600/night

Thank you!

WWK May 16th, 2016 08:07 AM

Three resorts on the cliffs in Negril, Jamaica come to mind: TENSING PEN, ROCKHOUSE, THE CAVES.

I think all offer transportation to the beach just below the cliffs. Full disclosure: In over 30 trips to Jamaica, I've always stayed on the beach, but for what you'd like, the cliffs are probably a better fit. And it's not hard to get to the beach from any of the properties I listed above.

If none of those appeal...and if you would consider Mexico, LIVE AQUA in Cancun has everything on your list: It's a gorgeous adults-only AI, with an uncrowded stretch of beach, cabanas on the beach, seven pools, spa, gym, wonderful staff. Have been many times.

IF that sounds good, look at the AQUA SUITE, which has whirlpool bath in the room, small living area connected to the bedroom, and huge deck overlooking the property.

suze May 16th, 2016 09:43 AM

Funny what jumped to my mind agrees with one of those above.

Look at www.tensingpen.com in Negril Jamaica.

WWK, I've only been to Negril 3 times (each many years apart) and always stayed on The Cliffs there.

Or here's one in Puerto Vallarta that might fit the bill
http://casakarma.net/

KatieDC May 16th, 2016 11:29 AM

I definitely want beach front and will look at Live Aqua.

WWK May 16th, 2016 02:07 PM

Also look at IDLE AWHILE on the beach in Negril, a very small boutique hotel on the best section of beach. It's so small that it fills up quickly, and may not offer the kind of privacy you're looking for? However, it's set in a garden with straight on water views. AHHHH....

blamona May 16th, 2016 02:35 PM

Although over your budget ($795, but look for specials) it is All inclusive, has a tropical pool, spa, and the "tropical" look you crave (views to Union Island are like a mini Bora Bora!)

Palm Island Resort in Grenadines. Try to go 7 nights, it includes air from Barbados (otherwise add another $590)

So what you want does exist!

WWK May 17th, 2016 08:26 AM

suze,

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I checked out the website for casakarma. It looks so amazing! Have you stayed there? Would love to go!

suze May 17th, 2016 09:12 AM

i'll make a new thread and we can chat about Puerto Vallarta. it's my go-to place but i think would be too busy for what this poster is requesting. Plus it's way way WAY cheaper than $600/night -lol!

Tabernash2 May 17th, 2016 07:23 PM

That's a good idea. I'd like to know more about Puerto Vallarta, suze.

suze May 18th, 2016 08:14 AM

hola Tabernash2, Just click on my profile. I have many 'trip report' threads posted for Puerto Vallarta. Since I visit 1-2x/year and have been since the early 90's ;-)

I would have suggested it for this person, because I think it's perfect for relective solo getaways, but seems she seeks more solitude. While PV is one lively, vibrant, authentic, hectic, noisy, busy town.

Tabernash2 May 18th, 2016 08:53 AM

Thanks, suze. (Will do after the WEDDING this weekend. Eeeeek)