Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   LaLuna at Grenada--Meal Plan or Not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/laluna-at-grenada-meal-plan-or-not-406083/)

TheresaV1129 Mar 3rd, 2004 05:42 AM

LaLuna at Grenada--Meal Plan or Not?

I could use some help. If I finaly make up my mind on LaLuna in Grenada or St. Lucia, should I take the MP for an additional $65USD per person which doesn't even include drinks? I've already exceeded our budget, but we feel it should definetly be worth every penny, so we will splurge this time. Has anyone have any opinion on the meal plan as opposed not having it? If we choose not to take it, we would be saving exactly $910USD. With that in mind, our stay is for 7 nights 8 days. How easy it would it be to spend $910USD on food and drinks in LaLuna and/or Grenada?

Theresa

RAB Mar 3rd, 2004 09:39 AM

Grenada has some quite decent restaurants where you could eat well for less than $65 per person per day, without drinks. Also gives you a chance to sample different foods. Unless you have a car, though, you have to factor in taxi fares. There is also the convenience factor. I personnally would not go with the meal plan, but for other reasons than just cost.

TheresaV1129 Mar 3rd, 2004 09:53 AM

So it sounds like it would be more cost efficient along with the convenience factor to take the meal plan. Thank you for your advise RAB!!

SC Mar 10th, 2004 05:10 AM

That is not the fact. A MP with no drinks of $65 per person per day is astronomical compared to eating in good restaurants in Grenada. That's US$130 per day or EC$344 per day.

A lobster thermidor at a good restaurant such as Aquarium or Coconut Beach costs EC$70 per person, breakfast is no more than $EC20 per person at any good hotel, and a lunch would not exceed EC$30 per person in a top hotel or restaurant.

That adds up to me to EC$120 per person per day, and that is an upscale figure.
Now the coup de gras, EC$120 = US$45 per person. That leaves US$20 per person or EC$50 per person per day for drinks, and you have only met the LaLuna cost for food alone.

I think you would much more enjoy the experiences of going to a different restaurant when you wanted and soaking up the culture as well.

You could still stay for meals any day at LaLuna. They advertise for non-guests to come to dinner.

Let's get in in perspective. That extra money every day will buy a lot of drinks or taxis. Nothing is that far in Grenada in the south-west area where you will be.

eileen Mar 10th, 2004 05:31 AM

Hi, we also have La Luna on our wish list, but would definitely not take the meal plan because we would be bored eating at the same restaurant for three meals a day for seven days. Unlike other larger resorts, La Luna only has one restaurant. We have taken the meal plan at places like the Ritz Jamaica because there wasn't much else close by and the resort had four/five different restaurants but La Luna is a different situation. I also hear there are several restaurants on Grenada that should not be missed -- recently the restaurant at Bel Air Plantation has gotten great reviews. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

TheresaV1129 Mar 10th, 2004 09:27 AM

SC you're right. I worked out the calculations myself and compared prices from some of the restarants in Grenada to $130US that we would shell out for MP at LaLuna, which doesn't even included lunch or drinks and there is a HUGE difference. Hardest part is having to give up the convenience, but at the same time I'd think we'd get bored eating at the same place for 8 days like Eileen mentioned. Are these restaraunts a hike to get to, besides the beach house which I hear is a 2 minute walk from the beach?

Thank you all again for the great advise.

JeanH Mar 11th, 2004 05:20 PM

We stayed at the Flamboyant on Grand Anse in January. I got up early every morning and went for a walk. One day I walked to La Luna. I think it took about 30 minutes. It's a beautiful place. So, if you like to walk you can easily add several more restaurants to your option without hiring a taxi. But, I would recommend this for lunch only. That road would be pitch dark at night.

We found cabs to be sort of expensive, especially at night, but then we live in a small town and don't use them regularly. I still wouldn't get the meal plan, too many really good restaurants to pick from. Jean

MButler Mar 16th, 2004 08:11 AM

My husband and I traveled to Laluna in December of 2002. I have a different take on the meal plan. We were on a SCUBA diving package which came with lunch and dinner at the resort. We absolutely loved it!! Breakfast was a simple selection of about 8 items like omlettes, pancakes, fresh fruit and yogurt, etc. Breakfast was good, but dinner was amazing. You get your choice of appetizer, entree and dessert and can choose from any item on the menu. My husband had fresh grilled lobster tail 3 times and also enjoyed the filet mingon. I was more adventurous and tried something new every night. The fish was always very fresh and every meal we chose was extremely well prepared. At the time, my husband and I lived in Manhattan and were used to eating out at many 4 star restaurants. We found the food at Laluna to be exceptional. We spent 8 nights at Laluna, and I couldn't imagine getting bored with their dinner menu. Also, it cost us $20US everytime we took a cab roundtrip to town which really adds up. Some cab drivers refused to take us back to Laluna because the road is so bad and they didn't want to risk damaging their cars. What ever you decide, I am sure you will have an amazing time at Laluna. It is truly a special property.

TheresaV1129 Mar 16th, 2004 09:24 AM

Thank you for your thoughts, we are actually in the process of booking right now. Just waiting for the fax to arrive and we'll be signing it off. We decided not to nickel and dime our once a year vacation and go with the meal plan. We still plan to venture off the resort some evenings for dinner, as well as lunch see we anticipate on a lot of day excursions.

PeggyE Mar 16th, 2004 10:28 AM

We have looked at LaLuna but coming from LAX seems to me a hassle. Any advice on airlines or schedules? Or is it through JFK whether we like it or not?

TheresaV1129 Mar 16th, 2004 12:40 PM

Wish I could help you, but I'm flying from New York.