Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ladies! Help me find make-up with staying power for the tropics :) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ladies-help-me-find-make-up-with-staying-power-for-the-tropics-262926/)

Diamonds Oct 3rd, 2002 06:39 AM

Ladies! Help me find make-up with staying power for the tropics :)

Okay, I know I am going to get flamed for the frivolity of this post, but I need some help!<BR>All of you well-traveled ladies please tell me what make-up you use (foundation, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick) that will not sweat off in the Caribbean or come off in the water when swimming. <BR>Thanks a bunch!!!

Melina Oct 3rd, 2002 07:07 AM

Hi there,<BR>If it's important to you, it's not frivolous...<BR><BR>I used to pack lots of makeup when travelling-I wear makeup at home all of the time. In the years since then, I've learned!<BR><BR>I've found that there is no foundation that will stand up to Carib heat/humidity. Leave it home. Let the glow of your island tan be your makeup.<BR><BR>Eyelash curler and a coat of waterproof mascara for special evenings out. <BR><BR> Lipstick is a necessity for me, but usually a light neutral shade, used more for protection against the sun than for appearance.<BR><BR>Take a look around at some of the beautiful women who are native to the islands you visit. It's rare to see them overly made up. I learned to take their cue!!

Diamonds Oct 3rd, 2002 07:22 AM

You are right Melina about the beautiful women! Unfortunately, I do not have their gorgeous skin in varying shades of color.<BR>I tan very deeply everywhere except my face, which I cover in 30SPF sunscreen, so maybe I can find a self-tanner to help with the foundation situation.<BR>Thanks for the suggestions!

myviews Oct 3rd, 2002 08:17 AM

I live in the islands (I am a local person and have therefore lived in the sun all my life) and personally do not have any problem with make-up melting in the heat. Admittedly I do not wear much make-up when I am outdoors but then there really is no need - island life being what it is -casual and carefree. When wearing make-up however, I tend to stick with products made by Clinique, Prescriptives, Bobbi Brown or Mac and have found that, even in the heat, they all stand up pretty well. A think the trick is to stick with the lighter stuff - especially go light in foundation - keep everything light, follow a good cleansing regime especially at night and you should be fine.

Ann Oct 3rd, 2002 10:45 AM

For eyeliner, I would suggest Bobbi Brown's Long Wear Gel Eyeliner. It comes in a small glass container and needs to be applied with an eyeliner brush, but it's the best stuff i've ever come across. It's waterproof and comes in about 6 different shades. I have a bad habit of unconsciously rubbing my eyes during the day, but even so, my eyeliner is still there when I head home from work.

xxx Oct 3rd, 2002 10:47 AM

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. It is the best waterproof mascara made. I've tried every brand known to man from the $55 to the $5 tube and MGL is the very best.

prettytoo Oct 3rd, 2002 01:55 PM

Whatever Revlon products Halle Berry used the nights of the Oscars must be terrific, given her tears, sweat of the hot lights and emotion, I saw nothing melting on her perfect face. I would give their stuff a shot. I would limit it to mascara and lip gloss, though, since all other products block the pores and will cause breakouts. Better to use a hat and a bit of tinted non-comegenic suntan lotion just on the nose, chin and cheeks. Don't go for anything heavier or you will come home with major "zits". After a day or two of sun, you won't need foundation any more because you will have a natural glow and can just stick to a bronzer. I also think powder is very important at night to avoid the shinies.

prettytoo Oct 3rd, 2002 01:56 PM

Whatever Revlon products Halle Berry used the nights of the Oscars must be terrific, given her tears, sweat of the hot lights and emotion, I saw nothing melting on her perfect face. I would give their stuff a shot. I would limit it to mascara and lip gloss, though, since all other products block the pores and will cause breakouts. Better to use a hat and a bit of tinted non-comegenic suntan lotion just on the nose, chin and cheeks. Don't go for anything heavier or you will come home with major "zits". After a day or two of sun, you won't need foundation any more because you will have a natural glow and can just stick to a bronzer. I also think powder is very important at night to avoid the shinies.

Penney Oct 3rd, 2002 01:57 PM

Anoather vote for the cheapo mMybelline - works great!<BR><BR>Be sure to get a lip gloss or stick with a high SPF in it to aviod sun blisters - they hurt!

prettytoo Oct 3rd, 2002 01:57 PM

Whatever Revlon products Halle Berry used the nights of the Oscars must be terrific, given her tears, sweat of the hot lights and emotion, I saw nothing melting on her perfect face. I would give their stuff a shot. I would limit it to mascara and lip gloss, though, since all other products block the pores and will cause breakouts. Better to use a hat and a bit of tinted non-comegenic suntan lotion just on the nose, chin and cheeks. Don't go for anything heavier or you will come home with major "zits". After a day or two of sun, you will have a natural glow and can just stick to a bronzer,with a loose, brush applied powder to avoid the shinies.

Love2Shop Oct 3rd, 2002 02:29 PM

I do not use foundation in the caribbean, it looks too "masky". Instead I use a bit of concealer for under my eyes and since I do not tan my face. I use Clarins self tanning milk for face with spf 25 or 30 I use all Clarins sun Products and highly recommend them. They also make a compact which I love its a cream to powder in bronze with spf 15 in it that does not clog your pores, teriffic! This way I get a slight tan and when combined with the self tanner it looks very natural. I also use Benefit Hoola bronzing powder to give a more matte apperance since the heat can make you look slick. I always use Lancome mascara-the greatest and lip glosses/lipsticks of every color, depencing on what I'm wearing. Another big beauty problem is frizzy hair, Keratase oleo relax hair serum is THE BEST, it keeps blown out hair straight and air dried hair in soft curls, no frizz. I also use Keratase Hair color proctectant, its a spf for your hair that keeps the color so the sun and salt does not damage your hair color. And always bring lots of pretty hair accessories, they can do wonders.

anon Oct 3rd, 2002 02:33 PM

what was that about Halle Berry? Care to repeat it??!!

divine halle berry Oct 3rd, 2002 03:09 PM

She proved the Revlon line stays put! Not that she needs make up!

scubagirl Oct 3rd, 2002 04:06 PM

Love2shop.. where do you find Keratase products in the states.. I used them when I lived in Paris, but can't find them in the states.. any suggestions?<BR>(sorry to get offtopic, but there isn't a valid email address)

Love2Shop Oct 4th, 2002 04:09 AM

I live on Long Island, I buy them in spa/salon close to my home. I believe it is one of the few palces in NY that sells the product. I called the 800#. You can get the number thru 800 toll free info (1-800-555-1212). Call keratase and they will ask you where you live and they will tell you the closest salon that sells the product. If there is not one close to you you can buy the products on E-Bay. Just type Keratase in the search bar.

fyi Oct 4th, 2002 04:29 AM

The Jose Eber Salon at The Westchester<BR>Mall in White plains N.Y. sells it. Give them a call -maybe they can ship!

islandgirl Oct 4th, 2002 08:21 AM

I had to add my 2 cents!<BR><BR>I use Revlon's colorstay base, and it does stay on all day. As long as you use a good cleanser you shouldn't have a problem with break outs unless you're allergic to their ingredients. I'm so disappointed becuase I found out Neutrogena products make me breakout - I had high hopes for their tinted moisturizer with sunscreen! It might work for you, have you tried it?<BR><BR>Also, in my opinion, Covergirl or Maybelline's waterproof mascara is the best. Now if I could only take it off!<BR><BR>For lipstick I find the best is a lipliner all over for colour, topped with a sunblock stick for protection and shine.<BR><BR>I've given up on eyeliner. It seems to only slide all over or is so hard to put on I feel like I'm pulling out my eyelashes!!<BR><BR>Other posters are right though, make-up down in the islands is much lighter than in big cities.<BR><BR>Good luck and enjoy your holiday!

Daniella Oct 5th, 2002 06:26 AM

Since we're talking about breakouts and nice skin, anyone ever use proactiv? any suggestions? please don't yell cause I'm getting off topic but ladies we know how important it is for us to have nice skin. any other recommendations? i heard the birth control pill "diane" was really effective but for someone who wants to get pregnant it's not really an option.

Allison Oct 5th, 2002 06:58 AM

I just got married in St. Lucia and used Dermablend. It is a company by Estee Lauder. You can buy at Ulta, QVC and Dept. stores. It is great...covers whatever you need....minimal or full coverage and it waterproof.<BR><BR>I also use Practiv and it does really work.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Diamonds Oct 5th, 2002 01:17 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas!<BR>Ann's suggestion for the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is truly a lifesaver!<BR>Ann, I went to Nordstrom's yesterday and picked this product up.<BR>It took just a very short practice session with the brush to get the look I wanted.<BR>I used it this morning, went shopping, and laid out in the sun in 91 degree heat for 2 hours, took a cool shower and a 1/2 hour nap.<BR>It still looks like I just put it on!<BR>For anyone looking for eyeliner that won't budge, this is it!<BR>Thanks again Ann.<BR>I decided to go with:<BR>Neutrogena bronzer/self tanner.<BR>A diluted bit of Revlon Color Stay or Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation with a sheer powder. <BR>Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, Great Lash waterproof mascara.<BR>Max Factor Lipfinity - all of the above to be applied sparingly of course :)<BR>Thanks again for all the help!