Ladera to Jalousie - Logistics Question

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladera to Jalousie - Logistics Question

We will be staying a couple nights at Ladera then moving to the Hilton for 7 nights. We would like to see some of the sites (any not to miss?) and stop at the grocery store on our way to the Hilton. Has anyone done this or have recomendations for a driver? Should I set this up in advance or will I be fine setting it up the day before. We will be making the switch on a Sunday if that makes a difference.

Also, we would like to take the helicopter back to the airport from the Hilton. Again, should I schedule this prior to leaving for St. Lucia and what company?
THANKS!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:59 AM

Arranging a car from Ladera to Jalousie should probably be done with about a day's notice. When we used the helicopter service to Jalousie, we went round trip, so natrually it was booked in advance. Jalousie has an office on site for the helicopter transfers and tours, so you could probably wait until you arrive to arrange your departure airport transfer. Or, just get in touch via email or phone with the Jalousie before you go to arrange the one-way transfer.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:34 AM

Hi Mindy,

I would take advantage of the complementary shuttle to Soufriere from Ladera before you leave for the Jalousie Hilton. The name of the grocery store in Soufriere is Eroline's. If you wait until you are staying at the Hilton, you will have to pay for the transport to town.
Sunday hours posted in a magizine I have are, 8:00am to 1:00pm at Eroline's You will also have a frig. at Ladera that you can keep anything that you get before hand.

Actually the shuttle to Soufriere, when we were at Ladera was a water taxi that you take from the Jalousie Hilton beach. Ladera may also offer a land taxi there, but this I am not sure of.

Ladera is located right above the Jalousie Hilton. The drive from Ladera to the Jalousie is quite short, and you will not be passing through any town, etc. it is just a mountain road straight down to the Jalousie.

Also take advantage of getting over to Anse Chastenet's beach while you are staying at Ladera. This is complementary also. Since you will be staying at the Jalousie later, you will be able then to enjoy the Jalousie's beach.

I think you will be happy with any of the drivers that are available thru, Ladera or the Hilton. They all seemed to be great guys. We used many of them. One thing you can do is talk to them yourself at the entrance of the Jalousie, when you want to go somewhere. Quite a few of the hang around the entrance waiting to be called. You get to the entrance with the shuttles at the Jalousie. You can usually get a better price then the standard thru the resort.

Have a great time!
Will you be going soon?
Donna

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Donna, we are going November 14-22. Maybe I'm not asking my question correcty, but what I had planned to do the day we transfer to the Hilton was to spend the morning at Ladera and then around noon, hire a car to take us to the botanical gardens and drive-in volcano (or other?) and then stop at the grocery in town right before dropping us at the Hilton. We are going to have to check out of Ladera around noon and then check in at the Hilton around 4, so thought this would be a good way to spend the afternoon. Is this not a good idea? We would also like to do the rainforest hike that ends up at the waterfall to swim, but could do this another day if too much for one afternoon. Anyway, sounds like the grocery closes at 1. So, maybe we should go to the grocery either Saturday or early Sunday and just cart everything with us to Jalousie. It is also possible that we could get a later check out a Ladera or an early check in at Jalousie. I feel like I'm rambling and I believe I wrote the longest sentence in history in this post. Anyway, if you have any tips on St. Lucia, Ladera or Jalousie, I'd love to hear!
THANKS!
Mindy
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:35 PM

Please post a trip report when you return. I would love to hear about both places.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM

Mindy,
That does sound like a good idea you have. That way the driver will take you right to the store and wait. With the Shuttle from Ladera you would be just dropped off in Soufreire to do what ever you wanted and then you would be picked up later. As Soufreire can be an intimidating place for some people, you are sure to be more comfortable, with a driver taking you directly to the store. A friend of mine did this when staying at the Jalousie and just kept the groceries in the taxi, when they did a bit of touring. Of course keep in mind if you intend on buying perishables.

The botanical garden and volcano would also be great to see at this time also. As you probably won't be spending a whole lot of time there and they are close by.

The rain forest hike with a stop and swim in a waterfall would involve more time and you may want to consider, doing that at another time. The driver/guide will let you know what you will have time for.

Ladera, will help you arrange a driver/guide to do this for you. Ladera and the driver/guides are very accomodateing to guests.

They also have guides that will take you on hikes from the property. Just let them know what you want to do and they will help you arrange it. There is a local named "Jah" spelling/? that does great local hikes.

If you would like to e-mail me I can forward some info. of posts I had done before.

[email protected]

Donna