Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Ladera in St. Lucia. Who has been there or is going?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently found this place talking to a friend.

I am really interested in going.

I'm concerned about it raining. What happens then?

Also what is a plunge pool. Plunge? I picture something that doesn't allow you to swim.

Do they have room service?

I just want to hear all about this place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

bumping in hopes someone sees it
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM

Ladera is amazing. What a view.

The plunge pools are bigger and deeper than a jacuzzi, but not big enough to actually "swim" in.

They do have room service. Visit their website.

http://www.ladera.com/index.html
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:25 AM

It is funny you are asking about what happens when it rains because we didn't think about it before we went. The bed in our room was placed far away from the open wall. Yet, we had such heavy rain with strong winds one night that our bed got completely wet. It wasn't fun to find ourselves in the wet bed at night. We were there in the end of November/begining of December. We had a fantastic view from our room but we also heard our neighbor having a quicky before dinner one time. My opinion only but I think there are many resorts which are nicer than Ladera and located right on a beach. In order to get to a beach you have to take a shuttle and then wait for it when you are ready to go back. Twice our shuttle did not come at specified time.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Just as an addendum after seeing Pat's post, I do agree that Ladera is not for everyone.

I think the resort's big draw is the location and the novelty of the "three walls with a view" aspect.

I do not consider it among the best places I've stayed in the Caribbean, but I am glad that I stayed there and experienced it.

I have also stayed at Anse Chastanet, and for the difference in price involved, I would pick it over Ladera due to the beach access, dive shop, good off shore snorkeling, and excellent food.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM

We spent a week at ladera at the end of Nov/beginning of December and you should be able to find the trip report by searching here.

The plunge pools at Ladera are literally that...a dipping pool somewhere to cool off rather than somewhere to swim. However, in our experience(in a couple of rooms) the plunge pool was too cold to use.

We didn't have room service and because there are no phones if you want anything you have to walk to the office/reception area which reduces the "luxury" factor.

It rained while we were there but I find troprical rain enjoyable and we didn't have any problems with it...incidentally we saw no mosquitos.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Hi

My husband and I stayed at Ladera a few years ago for our honeymoon. It was the most romantic experience of our life. We absolutely LOVED Ladera. But it is not for everyone. There is the 4th wall missing so there is weather to consider. It did rain a few times where we were there but at the time we were eating a meal, sleeping or in the pool so we simply did not care. We did take some books and travel games in cash we "got rained in" but it never happened.

We did go over to Anse's beach but it is black sand with lots of cigerrette butts in the sand and you have to be careful of all the boats coming ashore. We preferred the Hilton beach. We rented a jeep and drove everywhere so did not have to rely on shuttles though.

I do ahve a trip report and pictures if you would like to see them just email me at [email protected]

good luck on your trip!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

so happy I asked.

I think it would be fun for a night and a few days. But, I don't believe this is a week long stay.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM

I stayed for 3 days in October for my Honeymoon.

Quick comment on the plunge pool at Ladera and the Jalouse. The Jalouse was a plunge pool that you could just stand or sit in due to it being really small...

At Ladera we got upgraded to a really nice suite that had what I would call a small swimming pool. While you can't do laps in it, you could actually swim the length of it... (if so inclined.)