Search

St John vs St Thomas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St John vs St Thomas

Can anyone help me decide between these 2 islands. I found beautiful villas on both, probably prefer the one on St Thomas, but it seems people on here prefer St John. The villa on St Thomas is on the eastern tip. Is St Thomas not safe? I want an absolutely carefree vacation.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM

There is no contest. Go to St. John. If you feel the need to go shopping or be in a crowd ferry to Thomas for the day but you'll be much happier on St. John especially if this is for your honeymoon
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM

Yes most definitely for a more carefree vacation go to St. John.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Even if I am staying in a private villa on the eastern most tip of Cabrita point? What makes you love St John so much more?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:26 PM
az

spent a week on east side of stt last year not too far (about 5 min drive) from red hook--absolutely wonderful! quiet, secluded, safe, spectacular ocean/sunset views, NO traffic/crowds, proximity to beaches/market/harbor/ferry. there WERE a lot more people at red hook, but we went there only to replenish food/drink/supplies. there is a very good deli in the marina market at r. hook.
can provide specific details on villa if you're interested.
you'll have a great time whereever you decide to stay.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM

St john is much quieter, more laid back.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

az: please fill me in about the villa you stayed in. Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:11 AM
az

go to: http://www.mclaughlinanderson.com/
select stt under island destinations. then select villa cayenne from drop down menu. this site provides pix/video/map/rates/availability etc. etc.
cayenne is located on beverhout point overlooking jersey bay. it is particularly secluded. we were concerned that our guide had gotton lost when she took us on the narrow one-lane road leading to the villa through dense foilage. then we emerged on top of the point with a panoramic view of deck point (to the east) and jersey bay (to the south) spread out in front of us. unlike some of the stt villas which are situated in beautiful coves, cayenne sits up high on the point and provides an unobstructed view east, south and west. since it is at the end of the one-lane road, there is NO traffic. yet you are only a 5 min drive from red hook, secret harbour beach/restaurant, ferry, stt yacht club,etc. it is almost essential that you have a car if you stay there; most taxis will have trouble finding it.
the villa is spacious--we hosted a wedding reception there--exceptionally clean, and fully appointed. the color scheme is also wild. it was brand new last november, so it is in very good condition.
we have dealt with mclaughlin anderson on several occasions, and they are a first class operation: friendly, professional, attentive to detail, etc. their guide meets you at the airport and takes you to the villa, so there's no chance you will get lost.
hope this helps;let me know if you want more info.
enjoy.