Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ku vs. Frangipani? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ku-vs-frangipani-330550/)

alanb Mar 26th, 2008 07:58 AM

Ku vs. Frangipani?

We are a married couple (mid-fifties) planning a week in Anguilla for Feb 2009 -- we have previously stayed at Cap Juluca (and loved it), but now looking for more reasonable prices for 3-to-4 star quality place to stay -- any opinions from people who have stayed at Ku or Frangi recently?

janiekins Mar 26th, 2008 09:25 AM

Hi alanb,

I am also interested in going to Anguilla for February, 2009. I have never been there before. Also a trip for my husband and myself - both 50.

Looking for reasonably priced recommendations. Did you love Cap Juluca? Did you find it outrageously expensive?

alanb Mar 26th, 2008 10:37 AM

We went to Cap Juluca during July, when prices were more reasonable (still high, but you get what you pay for). Prices during high season are crazy. The Tripadvisor website has many reviews you can read. The service was wonderful, and we loved being able to open the wooden folding doors each morning facing the beach and have breakfast on the patio (delivered to you each morning, you fill out order the night before for fruit, pastry, choice of beverages). Anguilla has superb beaches, and so many great restaurants you'll have trouble choosing among them.

Callaloo Mar 26th, 2008 12:11 PM

Stayed at Ku 2 weeks ago (hence, paid high season rates). At high season rates, I found Ku to not live up to its rates; the quality of room you get is more on par with the low season rates, which are 50% less.

It all depends on your expectations, though. We expected a little privacy and seclusion, and discovered instead that our next-door neighbor (literally, 3 feet from our patio in the oceanfront unit we'd booked) was Uncle Ernie's. Evidently, Uncle Ernie's is daytripper central, so it was non-stop action all day, and our view was of dozens of beach umbrellas. Luckily, this changed by late afternoon, but we ended up choosing to spend our days elsewhere. (The beach is quite lovely, but I don't like crowds.)

Also, while the resort amenities are as advertised, and the staff and service are quite lovely, the rooms themselves need updating. The furniture is sparse and dated; the shower took ages to drain; the kitchen fittings were cheap and badly put together, etc. Our mattress made us dread going to bed at night, but I recognize that is a matter of personal preference.

ALR Mar 27th, 2008 04:31 AM

We stayed at Frangipani last August and really liked it. It has new owners, new management, and is in the process of being completely updated. The service may not be on par to Cap Juluca (which I love) but it's nice to have the kitchen if you book a suite (which is all new with beautiful granite) and a washer and dryer. There is a restaurant and bar and two (one new this season) swimming pools. It's a small resort with only about eight units so it's very quiet. We've rebooked for this summer.

alanb Mar 28th, 2008 06:44 AM

topping

Becca Mar 28th, 2008 07:19 AM

My husband and I haven't stayed at Fragipani, but we have stayed at both Cap Juluca and Ku. We chose Ku during our second trip to Anguilla because we were looking for a more reasonably priced alternative to Cap. Ku was okay but the only real benefit was the price. The beach was nice, but we didn't really care for the rooms or the resort itself or the location - all the restaurants we like are on the Cap side of the island. When we go back to Anguilla, we'll just pay the extra money and stay at Cap - after staying at Ku, we came to realize that Cap is worth every penny.

Wazzy Mar 28th, 2008 07:23 AM

My daughter & I stayed at the Ku 2 years ago in May/June. We loved it! We found it to be very clean, room furnishings were fine, & on a beautiful beach. We did rent a car so we did go to a lot of other beaches. A great deal too at $200.00 a night!

TPAYT Mar 28th, 2008 10:01 AM

Besides "Ku" look at "Shoal Bay Villas" next door. Yes, it is a bit older, but very well run with a wonderful staff. With our balcony right on the sand (or first floor that walks right out on the beach), it was one of the best places we ever stayed.

Have a car and go to Cap, etc. for dinner. It's not as fancy, but I much prefered being right on that gorgeous beach. Uncle's Ernie's is far enough from the vills not to bother you.

MaryD Mar 28th, 2008 12:18 PM

Frangipani is beautifully redone & close to the west end restaurants that are so wonderful. Shoal Bay East is always going to be more crowded & have more families than Meads. It also has great beach bars & snorkeling off the beach if that's what you're after but if you want a gradual "step-down" from Cap, than go with Frangi.

Kelly1212 Mar 28th, 2008 06:02 PM

My husband and I stayed at Frangipani in December and loved it. As previous posters mentioned, the rooms are newly renovated with flat-screen TVs and granite counters. Management and service was top-notch. And Mead's Bay is beautiful and very serene compared with Shoal Bay East.
We weren't crazy about the restaurant at Frangipani, but considering there are so many fantastic restaurants nearby (try Mangos), it hardly mattered.
The nice thing about Shoal Bay East is you have more restaurants that are nearby. But with a car, that wasn't a big difference.
I highly recommend Frangipani.

alanb Apr 1st, 2008 10:23 AM

Frangipani and Shoal Bay Villas are essentially sold out already for the President's Week vacation week in Feb. 2009 (except for suites at Frangi going about $900 per night) so it look like we will try to go to Ku. Does anyone know if there is a big, noisy construction project underway near Ku?

ALR Apr 6th, 2008 11:28 AM

Another resort to check is Serenity on Upper Shoal Bay. Go to www.serenity.ai. We stayed there and enjoyed being able to walk to Shoal Bay East during the day even though it id mean driving to the West End for most dinners.