Kristen: Help me with GC wedding!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:03 PM
honeymooner14

Hi Kristen,
I know that you are getting married in Dec. on Grand Cayman, and this is one of the 3 or so islands my fiance and I are considering having the wedding. I know you have told me that Cayman Weddings basic wedding package is $600. What does this include? Is this what you are doing? Where are you having your ceremony? Any help with letting me know about your plans might help me with mine. Thanks so much!

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Honeymooner! I'd be glad to help you with what I can.

I am doing the basic package for $600. Here is the blurb on what it includes..

"Stroll down the isle on a red carpet sprinkled with tropical flowers. Choose to be married on a private vegetated beach or tropical garden gazebo. This package includes the Governor's 'special license', all legal documentation, marriage officer and decorative marriage certificate, which you will sign on a decorated table with linens."
US$600.00

We are doing ours at sunset on their private beach on the north end of 7 Mile Beach. I believe you also have the choice of Smith's Cove. You can also hold it on the grouds/beach of wherever you are staying. I considered this but then I thought there might be too many other people around. I guess it depends on where you are staying too. Have you thought about where you might want to stay? I have researched accomodations to death so if you have any questions...

Hope this helped! Feel feel to email [email protected]
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:52 AM

Here is the web site for Cayman Weddings...

Francine and VernonJackson. officiate. And the 2 people I have been dealing with while coordinating everything (actually, it as been a very simple process)are Kristen and Brett.

Also, they have a chapel where you can get married (in case it rains).
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:59 AM
honeymooner14

Hi Kristen,
Thanks so much! I am researching EVERYTHING to death, too. It has taken me months to narrow it down this much. Even though I have never been to the Caribbean, I feel as though I know everything about every island. I don't know where we are staying yet. (Our wedding won't be till Aug. 2004). I go back and forth between the Westin and Hyatt (I am a resort person) but they both have such mixed reviews. So, maybe we will do a condo, who knows? Are you still booked at Villas of the Galleon? Anyways, I want basically the same thing as you -- wedding on the beach at sunset. My fiance has been married before, although this is my first, and neither one of us could see spending so much money on a traditional wedding, just for one day! So, we are doing 2 weeks in the Caribbean, one for the wedding with our families, and then one week on another island. (We are thinking maybe Jamaica or Aruba for the honeymoon -- 2 very different islands, I know!) So, the $600 is basically for the location, paperwork, and marriage officer, right? That's exactly what I need. Anyways, your help is great.

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM

Hello-- We just returned from the Grand Cayman(See my post labeled trip review). We saw a wedding taking place at smiths cove. It was catered or put on by "The Grand Old House" a popular restaurant there. We snapped some pictures of the wedding and I would be happy to scan and e-mail them to you if you send me your e-mail address. Dizzy
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:14 AM

Yes we are still booked at VOG but I am wavering...I think I may wnat to do the resort thing (definitely Westin) but I would also like to have a patio, kitchen (fridge), living area especially with friends and family down so we aren't all crammed in a hotel room when we meet before dinner etc... I'm also considering Casa Caribe and Chrisytopher Columbus.

By the time you get married, the Ritz may be finished!

I vote for Aruba for your honeymoon! We went last Seprember and loved it!!! Stayed at the newly renoved Radisson...great resort.

When I get back in December, I'll be happy to send you photos of our wedding if you're interested...
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:14 AM

Dizzy...would you mind emailing me those photos too? Thanks

Also, any advice on accomodations??
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:50 AM
honeymooner14

Dizzy...Thanks! I will e-mail you and let you know my address, those pictures would be great.
Kristen...I am going to e-mail Cayman Weddings this morning. What type of service are you having them perform for the actual ceremony? We are hoping to maybe write our own vows...Anyways, where are your friends and family staying? Why would you chose the Westin over the Hyatt -- because it's directly on the beach? I will look forward to your pictures and trip report in December!

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:03 AM

As far as the cermony, we're still deciding about the vows etc...otherwise it think it's a standard service they perform unless you request something different.

I say the Westin because I hear from everyone that it's the best hotel on the best stretch of beach. More so the beach I guess (because Hyatts are always nice hotels). Plus I hear that the Hyatt beach gets super-crowded because of the cruise ship passengers (since the Hyatt is further South). Plus you don't have to cross the main drag.

My fiance works with someone who stayed at the Westin and he said it is the best place to stay (resort-wise) on the island. Until the Ritz comes I guess...but I'm sure that will be super-expensive.

Will it be just the 2 of you at the wedding or will you have guests?

Also, we are going to the Reef Grill for dinner afterwards (best restaurant on the island I hear...that and Smugglers Cove).
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM
honeymooner14

Kristen --
We will have guests, just close family, probably anywhere from 8-12 ppl. Definitely want to do a nice dinner afterwards, but haven't researched that yet, although I've heard a lot about both the restaurants you mentioned. I'm sure the Ritz will be super expensive, although the other Ritz hotels I've looked at other islands (St. Thomas, Jamaica) really aren't that expensive in the off season, which is when my wedding will be. Not too much more than a Hyatt or Westin. Anyways, from what I've heard, the Ritz is still aways from opening. I thought on their website it had a date of Fall 2004. Will you and your fiance be staying in the same place as your guests, or will everyone chose their own accomadations?
And like I said, we are thinking Aruba or Jamaica for the honeymoon, so any advice/tips/info. you have on Aruba would be great!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:50 AM

We will have about 8 - 10 gusts down as well. Evryone is staying someone different...my parents at the Marriott because they ahve points, one friend and her husband at the Westin because they are splurging and making this their big yearly trip, another friend will be at the Hyatt because they want a resort but can't afford the westin and my brother and his fiance...wherever thay can find a cheap rate!

But I plan to do soemthing like plan a stingray city trip with everyone...hopefully we can get a boat for just our party...

I will reply about Aruba in your post above...
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
honeymooner14

Kristen,
Thanks for your reply to my Aruba/Jamaica thread -- that will be another tough decision! I can't wait till you get back from your wedding so I can hear all about it!
If you get your Aruba pics scanned in, let me know, and I'll send you my e-mail address.
Do you know which condos are on the "main drag" of 7 Mile (by the Hyatt, Westin, restaurants, etc..)? I was looking at Aqua Bay, but have heard here that they are further down away from everything.
What sort of dress will you be wearing?
By the way, does that $600 basic service include the $200 fee it costs to get married in the Caymans? Does it include basically everything (paperwork, license, etc...) you need?

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I also wanted to stay at Aqua Bay but like you said it's so far from everything anmd we'd like to be able to walk to certain things.

The nicer condos along central 7 Mile beach would be Plantana, Villas of the Galleon & Casa Caribe. Lacovia is another option.

My dress is a knee length white strapless. I found it at
The "White House" not sure if that store is in all areas.

The $600 does cover the $200 fee. The %600 icludes everything. They require a depsoit when you book and then you pay the rest when you arrive.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:03 PM

congrads! I got married on a cruise ship but also checked out the islands try looking on the boards at www.ultimatewedding.com there is a destinsation wedding section with loads of information good luck
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Hi Kristen,

My fiance and I finally decided on Grand Cayman as the island for our destination wedding. From what I've read, you're buying the wedding package from Cayman Weddings. Do they have a website? How would I contact them? How did you decide to go with this company?

Also, we're trying to decide on places to stay on GC. We heard The Reef Resort was a nice place, but it's on the east end of the island. Besides the Westin, do you have any suggestions of where to stay?

Can you please tell me more about your wedding plans? I would really appreciate any help that might help with mine. Thank you!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I'm sure Kristen can help you better, but here are some of the wedding planners and web sites for GC:
Celebrations
www.celebrationsltd.com
Grand Old House
www.grandoldhouse.ky
Cayman Weddings
www.caymanweddings.com.ky/
Heart of Caymans, Ltd.
www.heartofcayman.com
Also, Trisha's Roses 345-949-2423....The Wedding Mart 345-949-6446...Bevandale Island Wedding 345-949-3435
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Thanks Robin! Have you been to GC before? I'm trying to decide where to stay on the island.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Taya, no I haven't been to GC yet but we are going for a week the weekend after Thanksgiving. We made reservations at Plantana, a condo located on Seven Mile Beach. Go to caymanvacations.com, they have many great pictures of the hotels and condos/villas. If it's a nice beach front you are looking for, don't stay on the south end of seven mile beach (closest to George Town). The beach is eroded badly around the Marriott and I have been told the further south it's rocky, lots of ironstone. From the Hyatt north, the beach is wider, lots of white sand and less rocky areas. The Ritz Carlton is opening up supposably, in Jan. or Feb. 2004. That would be a great place to stay! http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/g...n/default.html
The condos or villas are another option if you want privacy. I have learned from much research that SMB is the best beach location and close to many restaurants and shops/grocery store. Rum Point is away from it all, George Town is where the cruise ships come in with hordes of people daily, usually to shop or tour the island. Where were you looking to have your wedding and what month? And Congratulations!!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Robin, thank you for giving me a summary of the island locations. I was having a hard time trying to figure out which part of the island to stay. My fiance and I were planning to get married next year in June and we wanted to make sure that all our guests would have something to do besides sitting on a beach. We're thinking of having a simple ceremony on a beach and then a nice dinner with all our guests (about 20).

At first, we were thinking that the Ritz would be nice since they also have wedding packages available, but then when we went on the website, it said that the hotel was opening Fall 2004!

Now we are both leaning towards staying at a condo rather than the Hyatt and Westin, but aren't sure if we would miss out on anything if we stayed at a condo. Is privacy pretty much the reason why you decided to stay at condo instead of a hotel? By the way, the pictures of Plantana are gorgeous!

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Robin...we'll be in GC the same time as you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -