Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Know of any secluded, boutique hotels in Carribean?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a really nice, secluded place anywhere in the Carribean for a quick getaway from NYC sometime in the next 2 months. Something like Pink Sands, Ti Kaye & Tiamo Resorts.

Specifications:
1. Ideally, a place where we can just take a 3-4 hr. non-stop flight fr. NYC to the resort. Most of these secluded, luxury places are hard to get to.
2. Beachfront
3. Beautiful, clean, white sand beach
4. 250/night or less
5. preferably "adults only" resort (not a necessity)
6. Nothing crazy or busy or loud
7. Secluded, quiet, romantic & laidback.

THANKS!!

Feb 24th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but I can't think of any resorts in the Caribbean that fit your criteria in that price range in high season. It's more like double that. The places I have been that were a best value for high season are Shangri La Caribe in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (not quite luxury but in the price range and meets a lot of your criteria) and Curacao Marriott (it's a 2 1/2 hour flight from Miami) so doesn't quite fit your travel time. Also look at Sibonne in the Turks and Caicos.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:18 AM

I'm not sure your secluded boutique hotel exists. The problem is that the resorts that are just a 3 or 4 hour flight away are the most popular and, consequently, the least secluded destinations. The few that might qualify (Point Grace, Cap Juluca, etc.) will cost much more than $250 a night. Perhaps the three resorts you've mentioned (Pink Sands, Ti Kaye & Tiamo Resorts) will fit the bill.
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM

other than the hotel price www.maromahotel.com on the mayan riviera sounds just like what you are seeking.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Consider the Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel in Puerto Rico, it fulfills alot of your criteria (except price: are you serious??)
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I flew non-stop to Jamaica from ORD in around 3+ hours. The Montego Bay airport is a few hours drive from this place but they send a private driver to the airport for you and he stops for lunch during the drive. I think there might be an airport in Negril if you're willing to pay to avoid the drive although I doubt it'll be N/S.

http://www.rockhousehotel.com/about/...php?page=rates
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Here's one that may meet your requirements. I had forgotten that Delta flies non-stop from JFK Airport to Grenada a couple of times a week.

On Grenada, you might consider the La Sagesse Hotel (http://www.lasagesse.com/) on Grenada's south shore. La Sagesse is located on a beautiful, relatively secluded beach and it is definitely not crazy, busy, or loud. It's not luxurious by any means but it is great in its own low-key way and their rates will come within your budget. The rooms are very nicely decorated and are just feet away from the beach. The hotel also has a good restaurant that charges reasonable prices and its within walking/short driving distance of the swankier Bel Air Plantation Resort which has an excellent restaurant. La Sagesse's owner/manager Mike is very good in answering e-mail inquiries.
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM

The Rockhouse is likely to be booked solid (didn't realize you wanted to go in the next 8 weeks).

Catch a Falling Star is half the price and really great -- I loved staying here. Hot breakfast and Jamaican coffee served on your private veranda overlooking the ocean in the mornings, included in these low prices. Down the road from Rockhouse which you will still visit for their restaurant and bar/lounge.

http://www.catchajamaica.com/thesagittarius.htm

Feb 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM

The Curacao Marriott had a fair number of children and was quite busy around the pool and the beach the 2 times we stopped by. Both were not school breaks either.
If you were to go there avoid the Portofino dining room.
You might find 2-3 places in the Abaco Islands that meet your criteria if you go after April 16th. Search the Forum and several will pop-up.
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Oh, and the only children I saw the week I was there (in late March) were local. Strange, didn't even notice that until right now -- no one brings their children to Negril which is quite nice. I was a bit wary of a lot of drunk spring-breakers but there were hardly any there at all which was a wonderful surprise, for me anyway. The local vendors were a bit depressed saying that business was way down as a result, forgot why they stayed away last year.
Feb 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, I understand that $250/night is really wishful thinking for a luxury hotel this season. I've checked around and those are summer prices at the most! We've been to Maroma and it's heaven! Totally booked thru Sept! Considering LaLuna Resort in Granada now but hesitant to fly Air Jamaica which is the only plane that flies non-stop from NY.
Feb 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Equinoxa

Don't dismiss Aruba from your list. If you can wait until the last week of April then you can get the Tara Suites at the Bucuti Beach hotel - well thought of here and on Tripadvisor - for $245 a night.

It has 2-7 of your wish list.