Kingston Airport?

May 2nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Kingston Airport?

Hi all,

I am trying to plan a get away in November using miles on American. I can easily get flights to the Kingston airport, but not so easy to MoBay. So, where would the closest nice beachfront resort be to that airport? I have never been to Jamaica, so I am not familiar at all, except for my trusted Fodors guide that I read!! Any help/insight is appreciated.
Thanks
Carol
May 3rd, 2006, 02:40 AM

Look into Port Antonio .... Amazingly lush and beautiful , romantic cove beaches , uncrowded .....
May 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi faithie
How far is PA from the airport and any recommendations on places to stay? We like to be beachfront, walk onto the sand.Do not like large resorts, smaller but upscale boutique type places. We would probably not do much more than park ourselves and enjoy where ever we land. Any tips? Thank you for the reply!
Carol
May 3rd, 2006, 03:59 AM

Plan on 2-2.5 hour drive from Kgton to
Porty on the coast road. If you're headed for Port Antonio, link up with
DERRON'S car rentals who'll have a car/driver for you at airport, drive you over to Porty; the rental car's then your's for the duration of your holiday; with departure with driver/car
back to Kingston. Porty has no AIs/big resorts -- it's a wonderful 'backwater'
still relatively unspoiled and the lushest, most green parish on island. Winifred, Long, Boston Bay and San San are the prime beaches -- but upscale
boutique accomodations are few, and none allows 'walk out your door onto
beach' setting. We'll be launching
pages in about a month's time on a luxe villa, the former estate of Molson beer/Canada owner, that's a 2 min.walk
down path to San San beach. Most of the other luxe villas and small hotels are either back on hills, 10-15 min.to ocean or on Blue Hole Lagoon/no beach.
Treasure Beach, 3-3.5 hours drive from Kingston on South Coast/driver services also available, does have quite a few
beachfront places, without AIs. See the community Web site at http://www.treasurebeach.net
Either area is a good intro to real
Jamaica.
May 3rd, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tiv,
I will read into these areas, the drive(to TB) sounds long(3-3.5) and we really won't sacrifice the proximity to the beach(PA). I guess I need to think long and hard of going into Kingston. It seems when flying into MoBay, the drive/place to achive what I want is more logical. I usually plan things far enough in advance to use the miles, but due to changes in jobs etc., we can go somewhere in NOv, and I have been one of those on the fence about Jamaica for a long time. Thanks for the input.
CArol
May 3rd, 2006, 04:40 AM

Port Antonio and Treasure Beach are much , much , nicer areas than Mo-Bay .... Perhaps your thinking of getting to Negril of course . We spent hours on the beach in Portie , just a little walk to get there .
May 3rd, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Well I had thought of staying on Negril, or I like the sound of Jamaica Inn in OR, I am just so confused!! After a day of traveling, we prefer to just get to the resort kind of quickly and just simply chill, be rather lazy! The return is the worst part, the drive, 2 hours at the airport, 2 flights with delay inbetween--we are not the hardy traveler types I suppose. We just got back from Cayman, and stayed on the east end, which is 45 mins from the airport, and I would say that is about it for me, 45-60 mins from the airport. Guess I have to keep working on flights to MoBay? Can I find several places to choose from that are smallish(100 rooms or under) 30-60 mins fro there? Thanks for yoour help!!
Carol
May 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM

If you decide to fly into Mobay, a drive to Negril is worth the time (60 min. ride). The beach is soooo much nicer than Mobay, and Ocho for that matter. Try Coco LaPalm as a nice non-inclusive resort. Owned by a family from MN, they keep it up to our US standards, but encourage their guests to get out and try to local flavor. Check their website for more info.-www.cocolapalm.com You'll see my new entry in their guestbook. Jamaica is an awesome destination, so get off the fence and go!!! You'll be glad you did!

Chesney
May 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

If you're going to drive to Treasure Beach you might as well drive to Mobay or to Ochie. Ochie is about 2 hours out of Kingston. Mobay is about three and a half.
I second Tiv's suggestions for Portland. If laid back is what you want, then Portland is the place for you to be.
I googled "Portland Jamaica" and came up with this villa. Check it out...just a TASTE of what Portland has to offer!
http://www.bluelagoonvacations.com/

If you fly in and out of Kingston, you can still drive up to Mobay along the north coast. On your way back you could drive along the south coast and stop in Treasure Beach for a night or two. That way you see the "entire" island!
May 3rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the last 2 posts, but driving around is not really my cup of tea! As I said, we like to get to the resort and just chill there. Any other places we get to would be by foot on the beach. I would like a beachfront smaller, upscale resort, where I can walk onto the sand from my room. So, the villa looks nice and all, but there is no sand, and it is not a resort, thanks tho.
Carol
May 3rd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Carol,

I really encourage you to consider Jamaica Inn. It is probably closer to a 90 minute drive from MBJ...but the inn will send a cooler in your car, with Red Stripe or rum punch ;-) You'll hardly notice those extra minutes, and JI has all that you are looking for.

I'd suggest a Premier Verandah suite (#'s in the 40's) where you slide over the balasturde INTO the sand

Wonderful staff and great food. If you click on my name, you'll find my report from Spring 2004.

Good luck with the planning !

Marion

May 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

Well then, if you're not willing to endure any kind of a drive at all, Mobay it must be. Ocho Rios is even further away from Mobay than Negril is. I suspect it's more than 90 minutes...closer to two hours.

Half Moon might suit you well if price isn't an issue. It's about 15-20 minutes drive from airport.
http://tinyurl.com/gs3qy

Or you could do Sandals Royal Caribbean or Sandals Mobay or Breezes Mobay. All Inclusives and right on the beach. Breezes is also close to town and is located along the "Hip Strip". Breezes is about 5 minutes drive from airport.

Sunset Beach Resort and Spa (about 15-20 mins. drive from airport):
http://www.sunsetbeachjamaica.com/

Rose Hall Resort & Country Club (20-30 mins. drive)
http://www.rosehallresort.com/

These are all very close to the airport and have the beach right at your doorstep. They also have taxi services right at the hotel if you wanted to go off property.

There are also a number of smaller hotels along the "hip strip" (Gloucester Avenue) in Mobay: Doctor's Cave Beach Hotel, Gloucestershire, El Greco are some that come to mind.

The Ritz and the Holiday Inn Sunspree are also right on the beach and are both close (20-30 mins. drive) to the airport.

Hopefully this helps.
May 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Jamaica Inn is a very good intro to island:very welcoming, elegant,upscale but not offputting nor stuffy, decent beach, no AI sensibility/'big hotel or resort' vibe whatsoever. A good place to decompress. Via Kingston, a driver
set-up by JI -- or check the Kingston-
MoBay internal connector flights as it's distanced about the same from MoBay. With 2 hours travel time, Port
Antonio might still be the ticket. Or
Round Hill, just outside MoBay, if a little more stoosh and pricey. Again,
also check luxurylink.com for specials/
auctions on all above properties.
May 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Marion: thanks for the confirmation that JInn would be a good choice, is the beach to die for? How would you reate the bathrooms, (some not so good comments on trip advisor). I will read your report, and thank you so very much!

JAGIRL: thank you again for your sharing your knowledge of Jamaica. Some of the places you mention in MoBay are quite large, as I said I am after smaller, so I will look at the ones you listed, thanks!!

Tiv: Are there any places(sm. resorts) directly on the beach in PA? The drive from Kingston to JI would be how long? The flights would be to hlep get to MoBay and stay there, right? I appreciate all the info, I have been looking at my fodors guide map, but it is tough to judge the drive time to places. Guess I am used to tiny islands!!! Info is much appreciated!!

Thanks,
CArol
May 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

You might want to look at
1) Coyaba
2) Royal Decameron
3)Sandals Inn (right across from the beach, but close to the airport and close to town)

May 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM

Ask Tiverton about this one:
Great Huts.
http://www.carolynscaribbeancottages...xgreathuts.htm
You can also do a Fodors Forum search of Portland or Port Antonio. You might find something there that might be up your alley.
May 4th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Distances in Jamaica are greater than they seem on the map and for a first-timer a private driver/guide is the way to go. It just makes a vacation a vacation, and a far faster way to de-stress and decompress. ALSO: The first
place you go on island is very critical since every parish on island is radically different -- and the usual
tourist areas of Negril, Ocho Rios and
Montego Bay are really cities which
Port Antonio and Treasure Beach are not. Porty is a very Anglo-Jamaican mired-in-the-50s market town, lush with vegetation and gardens running rampant.Treasure Beach is fishers/farmers -- dry savannah
plains with mountains behind and a wild coastline of beaches.

Venturing on a different path may be more indelibly rewarding for your first
visit. And Porty might be a good choice.

The drive out of Kingston around the coast is a dramatic one, really spectacular views.

You do have to walk or drive a bit to explore the beaches -- but it's no ordeal whatsoever/this is country, not commercialized resortlands. Frenchman's is the picture postcard beach everyone has seen in ads/it's a fantasy that's also a reality. The beaches here are
wilder and a greater variety. It's JUNGLE, rainforest -- and you don't have to go far inland for spectacular waterfalls, river trips, coffee plantations, the Blue Mountains. It's very laid-back.Finding luxury US style is hard in Porty/the white fantasy villas side-by-side on the Blue Hole channel are now being offered on a special on luxurylink.com. Great Huts in Boston Bay might be too basic for you -- the two-story Bamboo Tree House being the most finished and intriguing, still with creature comforts. US$125/night for 2. Cook available. It's NOT a resort but a private compound of accomodations run by a very philanthropic doctor and wife.
Villas: Beyond those on the Blue Lagoon/Blue Hole, Tiamo, Belmont, Tranquility are quite good. Smaller hotels:Goblin Hill, Fern Hill if reopened, Rio Vista.

IN MOBAY:Coyaba, just outside MoBay,
a resort but small, is now on
luxurylinks.com on a special about
US$1600/2 for 5 nights incl breakfast/dinner which is not a bad rate. If you can deal with far more basic but a superb beach, Time and Place on the other/Ochie side of MoBay
would be at least half that.

Pick one place/area as your destination
rather than trying to travel far between destinations during a week's stay/as it is, you'll only begin to
scratch the surface.

Since you've time, bone up further with
the Rough Guide to Jamaica and Lonely
Planet Guide to Jamaica -- each with a take different from Fodor's.
May 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM

Jamaica Inn would be a great spot . As well as Half Moon , Round Hill , Golden Eye ....
May 4th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again both faithie and tiv, I will look at these possiblilites. I at least have realized that it is a very large island, and all the places I have been to have been rather small!! So I have to narrow this down!! I am reconsidering Barbados as well, and I can easily get the flights, even tho it will take longer to get there. I was going to do only 5 nights, but could go 7 as well, whereevr we end up.
I reallly appreciate the time you put into answering me!
Carol
May 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you end of in Mobay, I would suggest Coyaba Beach Resort. It's a member of the "Small Luxury Hotels" and Elegant Resorts of Jamaica. Others, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if she flies into Kingston, couldn't she get a flight over to Mobay or Negril for that matter, to save time driving to the other destinations? Just a thought. This would open your choices up a bit.
I hope this helps.