Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Kids' ID for travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/kids-id-for-travel-335627/)

pickles Jul 10th, 2003 08:45 AM

Kids' ID for travel

Thought I'd share what I've learned so that it might save someone else some trouble. We have 3 minor children and we're going to the Cayman Islands soon. You don't have to have a passport to travel there, but I'm definitely going to invest in them for the kids after this (to expedite them at this point, because this was a very last minute trip, would cost about $150 per kid, and that's going to the post office - no middle man).

In NC, you can get a government-issued ID card for children from your local drivers license bureau. You must bring with you a birth certificate with the raised seal, social security card and something to prove their address (with their name on it) - like a bank statement from an account in their name. I'm sure requirements vary by state and I don't know the cost yet as I'm still gathering the necessary info.

Hope this helps someone else. I really wish, even though I didn't see the need, I'd gotten them passports just in case - especially after 9/11.

terric Jul 10th, 2003 01:25 PM

interesting note. We are going to Jamaica in August and I was just going to use birth certificates for my 2 kids ages 12 and 15. Does a passport speed things along? We are in PA -does anyone know if such a thing as this type of ID is available here?

pickles Jul 10th, 2003 03:48 PM

The problem, as I understand it, is that it's not so hard to maybe get into Jamaica or Grand Cayman, but harder to get back into the U.S. without proper documentation. If you've got time (4 to 6 weeks) to get a passport without having to pay the expedite fee of $60.00 or so per kid, I'd say that would be your safest bet - you know you won't have any trouble traveling with a passport. But you don't have to have a passport for Jamaica - they also accept birth certificate and govt. photo ID, so you could go the same route I am. I just called the Drivers License Bureau, and asked if they did the ID's.

terric Jul 10th, 2003 04:21 PM

thanks- I didn't realize getting back in was so hard. we are traveling on Air Jamaica and I've heard they make it easier to get in and out---any truth to that?

pickles Jul 10th, 2003 06:18 PM

I don't know. My husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon fourteen years ago and traveled with our birth certificates and drivers' license and didn't have any trouble. Since then, we've had passports. It looks like everywhere at least requires birth certificate and government-issued ID card, if not a passport, and, needless to say, I didn't have either for the kids. I'm one of those who doesn't like to take chances, but it will be interesting to see what they do check both coming and going.... When I called our airline to see what the requirements were, they said just a birth certificate, so I may be over-prepared. Maybe someone else will chime in who's more of a world-traveler than me with more info....

gail Jul 11th, 2003 03:50 AM

I am not sure what a government issued ID would get you - other than proof of ID. As with a driver's lic., which only says you can drive, not that you are a citizen, wouldn't a state-issued ID just be proof of who you are, not citizenship.

A birth certificate should do it for kids as both proof of ID and proof of citizenship for places not requiring a passport.

That said, if someone needs an ID for kids in Massachusetts, (also issued by Registry of Motor Vehicles) one must be at least 16 to get one according to their website. So that leaves out most kids anyway. (Of course - may vary by state)

tamara Jul 11th, 2003 05:37 AM

Young children traveling with parents with ID, need only have a birth certificate. My grade school kids have School Picture ID's. Be warned, the customs agent may ask your child some questions about their birthday, parents names or birthplace. My 7 year old was asked where he was born, he said, in the hospital, the agents grinned and said " that's what I'd expect from someone his age". He then asked where his mom is, and my son hugged me and said "right here".. we were passed right thru.

Now I have passports for everyone just to be on the safe side.

pickles Jul 11th, 2003 05:58 AM

Thanks for the additional info. Everything I read (in Fodor's and on other websites) kept saying for the Caymans you'd need a passport OR birth certificate and govt.-issued photo ID card. It never specifically referenced minors and whether requirements for them were same or different. In NC, they issue ID cards to children under 16. I also had their school ID cards, but wasn't sure that would suffice. I just didn't want to get somewhere and not have my bases covered....

cartera45 Jul 11th, 2003 06:52 AM

Recently travelled to jamaica with 13 year old - only needed birth certificate for her - no picture ID needed. Her last name is different from mine so I did take notarized letter from her father but no on asked to see it.

caribtraveler Jul 11th, 2003 10:05 AM

That's intesting (the govt issue id).
Anyway, we got a passport for our 15-month-old.
It's so easy to get one, I'd advise everyone to do that. With a passport, you know for sure you won't have any problems.
Terric: when you say "I've heard they make it easier to get in and out", do you mean Air Jamaica?
If so, that's not true. An airline doesn't have the authority to do that.
Hope you all have a great vacation.