Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Kauai or St. Lucia, Which one for a first time visit, first?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:43 AM
Tom

Message: I understand this may be a general question, but if you had a choice, <BR> which one would be your first time vacation to, Kauai or St. Lucia? <BR> <BR> 1) Kauai and St. Lucia both have wonderful sights, rain forests, mountains, <BR> volcanos, waterfalls, beaches, and places for diving. <BR> <BR> 2) St. Lucia has All Inclusive Resorts, Kauai does not, the biggest difference I <BR> noticed. <BR> <BR> Thank You for your opinions, <BR> <BR> Tom

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:26 AM
Phil

Having been to both, I'd pick Kauai, hands down! <BR>In my view, St. Lucia is dirty, the people are not all that friendly, and I'm not sure how much there is to really see. <BR> <BR>Kauai is beautiful, the people are friendly, and there are plenty of things to do (Waimea Canyon, the Na' Pali Coast, etc.) <BR> <BR>Go to Kauai.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
KJ

Hi, Tom: <BR> <BR>Consider this: <BR> <BR>--Diving is better in St. Lucia. <BR>--St. Lucia is third world country and Kauai is the US. This means driving is extremely dangerous in St. Lucia and roads are tricky. If you want to go out on your own, definitely do Kauai. <BR>--Beaches on St. Lucia not that great relative to Hawaiian islands and most Caribbean islands. If beach is important, do Kauai. <BR>--Depending when you are travelling, weather may be an issue. Check when the rainy season is for both locales. Also if you are staying in Princeville resort area of Kauai, rain and wind can be a big concern. <BR>--Travel time. Depending on where you are coming from, this could swing your decision. <BR>--St. Lucia always described as "lush", but I must say I was roundly unimpressed in that department. Just does not compare to the grandeur of Hawaiian islands. <BR>--You probably do not want to go all-inclusive on St. Lucia (so many good restaurants), but I understand it is easier to budget that way. <BR>--Disagree with Phil in that I thought people in St. Lucia were very friendly in general. <BR> <BR>I think you need to better define what issues are most important to you (cost, diving, whatever).

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:34 PM
lorraine

Been to both-Kauai .... <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Kim

We loved St.Lucia , I have never met nicer people then St.Lucians and Jamaican.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Anonymous

KJ said it best! K A U A I!! (Of course, if you like extreme poverty and crime, then by all means, choose St. Lucia!!)

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 07:04 PM
ANDREA

I a have been to both....both are beautiful...but hands down I would go back to Kauai

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 05:03 PM
freewoman

Have to agree hands down with Paul. <BR> <BR>KAUAI. It is a wonderful place. <BR> <BR>Of course, as I posted on another post,I would not return to St. Lucia if you paid my way, gave me money to spend and paid me for my time. It is, by far, the worst place I have ever been. I did a year's worth of research before I went and there are those out there who will swear by it. Different strokes for different folks. One of the things I like to do is rent a jeep for the week and explore the island I am visiting. <BR> <BR>This was delightful in Kauai and we wasted our money on the car (they did not even have a jeep) on St. Lucia. Their roads are practically undriveable during the day and at night you take your life in your own hands. It should be unlawful for the rental agencies to rent anything other than four-wheel drives. If you do decide to go there, take my advice and take the helicopter from the airport to your hotel.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:24 AM
Agree

Kuai!! <BR>I agree if you chose St. Lucia take the copter from the airport!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Anita

Hi, Tom! Only because I HATE flying, I'd choose St. Lucia. However, if I didn't mind being in a plane for what would be a 13 hour trip for me, I'd do Kauai. Also, if money were an issue, I'd definitely do an all-inclusive, which would, I guess, leave you going to St. Lucia, since there's no all-inclusive resort (that I'm familiar with) in Hawaii. I had NO problems with anything when in St. Lucia. I'd love to go back to Hawaii, but the flight isn't worth it to me.