Just Returned - Grand Cayman Marriott

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Torryn

Just Returned - Grand Cayman Marriott

Hello, all,

Everyone gave such good advice on Grand Cayman, thought you would like to know my observations during our recent 7-day trip there.

Travelers: Husband, 2 1/2 year old, wife (me)

Hotel: Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort - Nice hotel, not luxurious, but deluxe. NO beach - it is all gone. At high tide, water laps up on the walls of the hotel. Sandbags are underneath the sand and you can see the bags from your balcony if you have oceanfront, which we did. The cool thing about the beach is that you can walk out into the beautiful warm waters and you have beach sand under your feet, not rocky at all. Some people drag lounge chairs next to the beach wall while the water laps up under their chairs. The hotel has a free huttle to the new Holiday Inn pool and beach (nice roperty) for guests. Balconies on the hotel are teeny tiny. The ocean VIEW balconies are wedges - we had one of these rooms booked but when we overlooked the parking lot and saw a slice of the ocean from our wedge balcony, we opted to upgrade. Food is exceptional. The Grille serves a buffet breakfast in the morning that is a bargain considering the cost of the island. The Peninsula restaurant is very expensive. We ate their once as a treat and the food was exceptional. The concierge (two are always availables) desk is fabulous - quality recommendations and the sweetest people on earth. As you may know, a US $ is worth 80 cents to the Cayman Dollar (CI) dollar. This doesn't help things as food is very expensive on the island.

Tours/Trips: THE BEST trip was on Captain Marvin's boat. Be sure to take the full-day tour, starts at 9:00 gets back in at 3:00. You dive for conch and eat it for lunch, you also eat fresh lobster, snorkeling on the barrier reef, and swimming with the stingrays, an event you can not miss. You get to take home a beautiful conch shell at the end of the trip. Also went to the Turtle Farm. Though some on fodors say it is not worth it, we found the farm very interesting.
Hell is not worth going to, but the other side of the island where there are blowholes, shipwrecks, Rum Point, are all fun. We booked a small touring van (a total of five of us plus tour guide) and viewed the island over 5 hours. (The tour company is owned by Captain Marvin's daugher.)

Food/Restaurants: We found The Champion House (close to Georgetown) a GREAT place to eat. Good food (the jerk chicken and curried goat were both fabulous), good service and great prices. It is a locals restaurant and they were very nice to our little guy. We also ate at The Almond Tree - didn't like it - not good service, overpriced food, and the food was too cosmopolitan for us. We like to enjoy local stuff.

Shopping: My husband and I have been looking for quite a while for two diamond anniversary bands. We bought them at Diamonds Direct (small shop in Georgetown) and saved about $1,200. Can't tell you if the gold and other stuff has good value.

Westin: Toured the Westin resort and LOVED the pools, beach and lobby area. Didn't get to look at the sleeping rooms, but the property is very nice.

Would we go again?: Yes

Any questions, just let me know and I will try to answer.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Lori

Can you tell me more about what you saw at the Holdiay Inn. Are the balconies there small or where you referring to the Marriott? How's the beach... is there a lot of rocks? Exactly where on West Bay Road is the Holiday Inn located? i.e. next to....

Thank you for your help

Lori

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Torryn

Hi, Lori:

Sorry, the balconies are very small at the Marriott. My sentence structure in my review was not the best. The beach is lovely at the Holiday Inn. Can't remember the balconies, sorry. The Inn is next to the Westin. It's a good location.

- Torryn

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 07:49 PM
jackie

I think you are in error - the new Holiday Inn is not next to the Westin. It is next to Indies Suites which is down the road about a mile from the Westin-towards West Bay.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Jody

I think the Villas of the Galleon are beside the Westin.