Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just returned from Swept Away Negril (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-returned-from-swept-away-negril-86346/)

Keely Sep 12th, 2000 09:38 PM

Just returned from Swept Away Negril

Would be happy to answer questions.

sb Sep 13th, 2000 04:55 AM

Hi Keely, could you point out the highlights and the negatives of staying at this resort? I have my heart set on it for my next trip! Thanks

Keely Sep 13th, 2000 09:34 AM

Highlights: Magnificent beach and lush grounds. Romantic atmosphere. Wonderful staff - warm, professional, helpful. Fantastic fitness facilities. Abundant selection of healthy, delicious food - not to mention that incredible Blue Mountain coffee! Also, this was our first all-inclusive experience, and not having to deal with money decisions all day long was just great. <BR> <BR>Drawbacks: Not many. Some of the rooms we saw needed refurbishing with regard to lighting, faucets, and the like. Room quality varies -- there are terrific as well as mediocre rooms in all 3 cagetogies (garden, atrium, & beachfront). No drawers for storage, only shelves, and some rooms had very small shelves. But you don't need a lot of clothes here! It is very casual and laid-back. <BR> <BR>A drawback for some people might be that rooms are sometimes not made up till 4 or 5 p.m. Room service is limited to continental breakfast. Though the resort is luxurious, it's not the Ritz-Carlton. No TVs, radios, or clocks in room (some would consider this a drawback, but for us it was a plus). Similarly, there's virtually no night life, but we liked this. There's a show every night after dinner, and if that's not enough, there are plenty of places to party in Negril after dark. <BR> <BR>One more thing: Swept Away has changed their couples-only policy and now admits singles over 18. A few of the singles we saw were kind of obnoxious, but they were in the minority. <BR> <BR>I would recommend this resort for couples of any age who want to enjoy each other and the environment and stay fit during their vacation. We had one of our best vacations ever. Somehow all the factors combined in just the right way and we had a real renewal of our relationship. We were definitely "Swept Away"! If you have more specific questions, you can e-mail me privately or post them here.

nedra Sep 14th, 2000 07:44 PM

Could you describe the difference between all the rooms please? Garden suite it is the cheapest but are they nice?

Keely Sep 18th, 2000 12:34 PM

Beachfront & atrium rooms are in villa-type houses. Garden rooms are mostly 4, 6, or 8 to a building. They have smaller verandas. One couple told me their room was VERY dark even during sunny days. Another couple said they liked their garden room because it was quieter. The accommodations are in 3 rows, from the beach back to the road. Most of the garden rooms are the ones nearest the road, though a few are right near the dining room. <BR> <BR>The atrium rooms are in the middle. Some do have partial views of the beach. And some of the beachfronts are rather small. <BR> <BR>Garden rooms are slighly different from the other 2 categories because they're plain, square rooms with plain square porches. That doesn't mean they're not nice. All the roons are pleasant because they're very tropical, with wood louvers instead of glass windows. They're simple, with tiled floors and wooden shelves instead of drawers. Every room has a verandah with comfortable wicker lounges or chairs. <BR> <BR>There's an area in the middle of the grounds where they do weddings, and a room right near there, where you can hear the fountain all the time, would be a nice choice. <BR> <BR>So we met people who were happy with their garden rooms. One couple we met were in the process of upgrading to an atrium, and she told me she got a better price doing so at the resort that she would have if she had booked the higher category in advance from her travel agent. Good luck. I'm pretty sure you'll njoy your garden room. On the whole they're lovely. And the folks at the front desk are very helpful and try hard to make people happy if there are any problems. <BR> <BR>