Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just returned from St. John and Westin. Will be happy to answer Qs.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Jana

Just returned from St. John and Westin. Will be happy to answer Qs if I can. We have received a lot of help from members of this board in planing our trip for which we are very greatful !
We've spend eight days mostly in St. John with day trips to St. Thomas and Tortola.
I will try to post a more detailed report in a few days. In the meantime, if anyone has specific immediate questions, I will try to help.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Mike

Am staying at the Westin in St John in July with 2 kids, ages 6 and 10. Firstly, how was the Westin - so many different opinions on this site. Were the accomodations clean and pleasant? How was the food and service? Did you have any experience with the kids camp? In retrospect, would you rather have stayed at Caneel Bay? Any recommendations on snorkeling beaches, restaurants, anything other special experience on the trip. I'm looking forward to your trip report. Thanks in advance.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Jana

Mike,
We don’t have children, so we did not really pay attention to any of the children’s programs they may have at the Westin. We did see quite a few happy children there, so I would assume it is a child-friendly property. They have a great pool there. The property itself was nice and clean. It definitely is not a Ritz, but it is acceptable. The service was average. I expected more of a Westin property in terms of service. I will give more details in my report in a few days. As far as food at Westin: we had breakfast once – the breakfast buffet – and at $20.00 per person, I consider it way overpriced for what you’re getting. Limited selection and questionable quality. I would definitely not recommend the breakfast buffet there. We also had lunch once at the pool café (fish sandwiches and burgers) and they were excellent ! They also have tasty smoothies which the waitress can bring to you onto the beach. We did not eat at Chloe and Bernard’s (Westin’s upscale dinner restaurant) so I cannot comment on the food there. We only went to see it and hostess appeared to be very pleasant and intelligent. It seemed to more of an adult restaurant. To answer your question about Caneel: Yes, I would have loved to stay there if I could afford it... We toured the property a bit but not extensively. Caneel seems to have MUCH better service -- more professional (and happy) employees from what I could tell from my limited experience there. It also seems to be more adult oriented. It is a beautiful property.

Old May 11th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Jana

Please check this post for more details:
"St. John trip report: adventures with BUDGET car rental and Westin’s manager on duty"

Old May 11th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Jana

If anyone has questions for me, to make things easy please post them under my "trip report". Thanks.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:45 PM
curious

Jana
happy to see I was wrong!! Ignore that previous post-HES the wone with the problem! My question is, having had the day trip to St Thomas was that somewhere you would like to return to? Did it compare with St John?