Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just returned from St. John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-returned-from-st-john-198787/)

Julie Oct 23rd, 2001 02:47 PM

Just returned from St. John

Had a wonderful time and would be happy to answer any questions. Still working on the trip report!

Amy Oct 24th, 2001 05:07 AM

What luck--my husband and I are considering St. John for our vacation and have a million questions. Where did you stay in St. John? We are considering Gallows Point Resort--have you heard anything about it? How accesible are things by public transportation? (We are both just under 25, so we can't rent a car.)Is the snorkeling at Trunk Bay worthwhile? Which beach is the best? Thanks for you help!

nancy Oct 24th, 2001 05:41 AM

My fiancee' and I will be spending our <BR>honeymoon at Caneel Bay..(haven't made <BR>reservations just yet)..have you been <BR>there...what do you think..is it worth <BR>the $$$$. We were going to opt for <BR>a villa but since it's our first trip <BR>we thought it would be better to stay <BR>at a resort and check out villas while <BR>we are there, in case we want to revisit. <BR> <BR>Any info you can provide about St. John <BR>would be appreciated..where to go, <BR>what to see..beaches...did you do any <BR>day trips to the other islands?...how <BR>are the deals in St. Thomas for shopping...(typical girl question) smile..We are both in late 40's so <BR>we want more quiet than nightlife... <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nancy <BR> <BR>

Julie Oct 24th, 2001 07:00 AM

Amy, We stayed in a villa called Dream Catcher through the Caribbean Villas rental agency. It was on a hill overlooking Great Cruz Bay and St. Thomas in the distance. We could see the grounds of the Westin resort from our patio and were only a mile or two from downtown Cruz Bay. The villa was wonderful and had fabulous views. I would highly recommend the Great Cruz Bay area to anyone looking at villa rentals. <BR> <BR>Gallows Point looks very nice and is in a super-convenient location to town. It's one of the few places in St. John where you could walk to Cruz Bay. We also considered staying at Gallows but found that we could get a villa with our own private pool and jacuzzi for only a small amount more, so that pretty much sealed our decision. Nonetheless, I have heard very good things about Gallows. Almost everyone who stays there seems to be very happy with it. If you go be sure to get an Oceanview unit (I'd suggest unit #1, #2 or #3) as opposed to a Harborview. The Harborview units can sometimes get late night noise from bars in Cruz Bay. <BR> <BR>On the subject of renting a jeep--I wouldn't give up just because you're under 25. I'm willing to bet that one of the many (very laid-back) car rental agencies in St. John would be willing to rent to you anyway, and I'm sure I remember someone in a similar situation who posted a while back saying that they were able to get one. Even if you stay at Gallows Point, you will really miss out without a rental vehicle! The island is absolutely gorgeous and there is *so much* exploring that you can do if you have a jeep. It is possible to take a taxi to some of the closer and more popular beaches, but if you want to go to any of the farther-out (and more deserted) beaches, or to Coral Bay you would have difficulty. It is possible to take a bus to some out-areas, but I think it runs fairly infrequently and irregularly. <BR> <BR>Snorkeling at Trunk Bay is very good, but it is also good at many other, less crowded areas. Trunk Bay is the most popular beach on the island for cruise ship passengers. Unless you relish crowds check the cruise ship schedule before you go and save Trunk for a lighter day (Saturday is usually a good choice). The northshore beaches are all beautiful, so it's really difficult to pick a favorite. Trunk is probably the prettiest, but it wins only by a nose. You should also check out Hawksnest, Maho, Honeymoon, Salomon and Francis to name just a few. The last three on this list are probably the least busy. Have fun!

Julie Oct 24th, 2001 07:36 AM

Nancy, We didn't actually enter the Caneel grounds, but saw part of the resort from the overlook on Northshore road. It looks very nice and I've heard good things about it. Someone told me Caneel is running some fabulous specials since the travel lull following September 11th (rooms as low as $125 a night?). I wouldn't settle for paying their regular rate. From everything I've heard, you will find plenty of peace and quiet there. <BR> <BR>FYI--This was our first time on St. John also, and we had no problems with the villa rental option. I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with your choice. We couldn't believe it when we were driving around the island--there is almost nowhere that doesn't offer a fabulous view of some kind or another. I am a hard-core perfectionist and still think I would have been pleased with 80-90% of the villas we saw while there. <BR> <BR>We spent one whole day just exploring with our jeep, which was lots of fun. The steep, curvy roads are unbelieveable! I know now why everyone rents jeeps. We spent one day snorkeling and hanging out at Francis Beach and another day at Trunk. Snorkleing is good, but different, at each. Drove by and checked out many of the other beaches, as well. Also hiked to Waterlemon beach and snorkeled the cay. We took a day sail on Pirate's Penny to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, to Cooper Island for lunch and to an area near Peter Island for off-shore snorkeling. This trip was awesome and the highlight of our week. Also hiked the Ram Head and Reef Bay trails. Both of these were neat, but we preferred the Ram Head trail for it's spectacular views (be sure to go on a cloudy day when it's cooler). Stopped at Salt Pond Beach on our way to Ram's Head, but didn't have time to snorkel. We also tried Snuba at Trunk Bay which was very cool if you like snorkeling, but aren't quite ready to try SCUBA. <BR> <BR>We only stayed 2 days in St Thomas. Took a taxi tour and saw some great views, but even though Charlotte Amalie is a beautiful harbor, overall we felt the island didn't hold a candle to STJ. Sorry--we did almost no shopping in St. Thomas, so I can't provide a recommendation. Spent too much money on the trip itself to afford diamonds and watches. Be sure to have at least one meal at Cuzzin's while you're in Charlotte Amalie--great food. Good luck with your choice! <BR> <BR>

Gina Oct 24th, 2001 07:57 AM

Hi Julie, <BR>I will be going to St. John in May on my honeymoon. <BR>Where is Dream Catcher and what rental agency did you go through? <BR>I am torn between gallows, the westin, or a villa. <BR>any suggestions? <BR>thank you!!!!

MarkinAtlanta Oct 24th, 2001 10:02 AM

Gina, here ya go. <BR> <BR>http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/dream/dream.html <BR> <BR>

Cory Oct 24th, 2001 11:42 AM

Julie (or others that have been there), <BR> <BR>My fiancee and I will be getting married in May 2002 (like many of the rest of you, apparently!), and we are scouting out honeymoon locations. I really like everything I've read and heard about St. John: the privacy, beaches, natural parks, exploring in a Jeep, etc. I have even looked over the Caribbean Villas rental web site before, though the locations don't mean too much to me, since I don't know the island. <BR>What I gathered from reading your posts, though, was that being close to downtown Cruz Bay is good, since that provides restaurants and more "city" type amenities. But most of the villas will provide great views and privacy. How about the beach, though? Are the villas generally a good distance from the beach? It sounds like maybe it is best to plan on driving to the (secluded) beach of your choice in your jeep, rather than just walking out the back door of your villa onto the sand. Is that accurate? <BR>Also, I checked out Dream Catcher on the web site, and it looks absolutely beautiful. I don't think that we need three bedrooms and three bathrooms, though, and I don't think we can afford the expense. Are there any Caribbean Villas units that you (or anyone else) can recommend that are a bit smaller and more cost-effective? <BR>I really appreciate your help. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR> -- Cory

nancy Oct 24th, 2001 12:37 PM

Message to Julie: Julie...terrific input..thanks so much...I have a clearer <BR>picture now. Also, thanks for the <BR>advice about Caneel Bay, how their prices have been lowered...I think I'll give them a call. <BR> <BR>Not into diamond buying in St. Thomas <BR>but it would be a nice break to ferry <BR>over just to check out the shops.. <BR>maybe pick up a piece of Art by a local <BR>artist or ceramics, etc. <BR> <BR>Can't wait to see the beautiful beaches. <BR>Have you been to any other caribbean <BR>island and if so, is St. John the prettiest. <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>nancy

Julie Oct 24th, 2001 02:41 PM

Gina--As far as the resort vs. Gallows vs. Westin question goes, I think it all comes down to money and whether you prefer being around others or being by yourself. I am somewhat of an introvert. I don't go on vacation to meet and hang out with other people (although if we meet some nice folks that's fine too) I go to spend quality time with my fiance. I hate staying at hotels or resorts, wanting to use the jacuzzi, and finding it already full of strangers. Hot-tubbing just isn't something I want to do with people I don't know. I also don't like to use the pool when it's full of kids, and that seems to happen to me more often than not. Given all of this, resorts just don't do much for me. There are probably lots of others who feel differently about this, so I guess it's a personal decision. <BR> <BR>The Westin is located just outside Cruz Bay and the grounds looked very nice to me. Supposedly it has the biggest pool in the USVI. Its beach is man-made. While it's not a bad beach, I wouldn't want to spend much time there given the multitude of other fantastic beaches on the island. Since the Westin has a kid's program, my guess is that you will find more families there. I have heard that the resort food is only so-so. <BR> <BR>Gallows is a small complex of apartment-type suites. Each unit is individually owned (so the decor will vary). It has no children's program that I am aware of and probably attracts fewer families. Its pool is small and its beach is really just a small rocky area that provides a good entry for snorkeling. The views are fantastic and as I've mentioned, it is walking distance to town (sometimes helpful after a night of drinking Bushwackers at The Beach Bar). Gallows is generally cheaper than a villa but I'm not sure how it compares to the Westin. There is a good restaurant (Ellington's) on site, but no health club, spa services, etc. that I am aware of. I believe the suites have daily maid service. <BR> <BR>I would go the villa route if you can afford it, but again that's just my own personal preference. Skip the cooking thing and eat your meals out. I like having a whole house to stretch out in as opposed to a room with a bed, and even though we spent most of our time at the beach it was really nice having the pool for a quick dip before bed, or when we just felt too lazy to go out. I really don't need someone to make my bed every day, so we didn't care much about not having maid service. If you're really set on the resort option (and have lots of $ to spend) look into Caneel Bay. It's quite pricey, but most people prefer it to the Westin. I hope this helps! <BR>

Julie Oct 24th, 2001 03:10 PM

Cory, Your supposition about driving to beaches is correct. The really terrific beaches on St. John are spread all along the north shore in the National Park area. Because it is National Park land, there are very few private homes on this side of the island (in fact, I'm not even sure how the few that are there got permission to build). Most villas are on the south shore of the island. If you stay near Cruz Bay, your drive to the nearest beach shouldn't be more than 10 minutes or so. It's difficult to get too far away from the beach since the run pretty much the whole length of the north shore. East End and the area near Salt Pond Bay would probably be the farthest, but even there there are some smaller, lesser known spots that are nice. Beware of villas that have a long stretch of unpaved road leading up to them--even though the actual mileage to beaches may not be far, the time it takes to drive a mile of dirt road filled with pot-holes can add significant time to your trip. Any villa on Reef Bay or Fish Bay will probably be less accessible. <BR> <BR>Dream Catcher is actually on the lower end of the villa price scale. If you want to pay less, you would probably have to give up the pool, the jacuzzi, or both. I'd be sure to have a pool if you go in the summer. A jacuzzi is probably better in the winter months when evenings are cooler. Very few villas have fewer than 2-3 bedrooms, but that doesn't seem to make much difference in price. Rental agencies charge by the number of persons in your party as opposed to the size of your villa. If it's at all possible, go in the off-season to save lots of money. We definitely couldn't have afforded this trip in January. Check all the villa rental agencies' websites. BookItVI (www. bookitvi.com?) and Destination St.John (www. destinationstjohn.com) are two others that I can remember off the top of my head. Gallows Point is one option that's generally cheaper than a villa and still very nice. We almost stayed at Gallows but changed our minds at the last minute. Remeber also that you can save lots of money on food if you're willing to eat in at your villa. Good luck!

Julie Oct 24th, 2001 03:14 PM

Nancy, We've been to the Caymans, Jamaica and Cozumel on a cruise. Jamaica was pretty too, but for beauty St. John beats them all by a landslide!

Laura Oct 24th, 2001 07:46 PM

Hi Cory, <BR> <BR>Check out this one. It's only $200/night in the off-season. <BR> <BR>http://www.carefreegetaways.com/enzos.html <BR> <BR>

Ally Oct 25th, 2001 06:38 AM

Hi Cory, <BR>Here's another villa for you to check out..Meritage Cottage. It's a 1 br with King bed and kitchen. It also has a hot tub, but no pool. (If it's real hot out, throw bags of ice in the tub and cool off !) I have not been there yet, but plan to next Nov. The web site says it air conditioned too, which is nice to have, just in case. Also, it says it's a five minute walk to a private beach! And it's only $1,300 in May! You can seach for it using your favorite search enjine, or type in this long address: <BR>http://www.seaviewhomes.com/Bedrooms...e_cottage.html

Cory Oct 25th, 2001 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I have a lot of places to follow up on now, and they all look great. <BR> <BR>Has anyone ever stayed at Caribbean Villa's Periwinkle? It sounds interesting. Just curious if anyone out there has any personal experience with it. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all the help! <BR> <BR> -- Cory

K Oct 25th, 2001 10:30 PM

We have stayed at Gallows Point several times and of all the places we have stayed, (which have been numerous as we have been to the Caribbean at least 10 times in the last 8 years) Gallows Point is our one of our favorites.

mcg Oct 28th, 2001 04:57 PM

Definitely go for Caneel, stay on Scott Beach in units between 57 and 68, and enjoy the best beach in the carribean with a view of St Thomas, the sunset, and a great all day show of charter yachts sailing by. Happy Honeymoon.

pete Oct 28th, 2001 07:23 PM

We stayed in an Ocean view loft unit at Gallows Point (in bldg. #3) in April 1999 and had a great time. I highly recommend it. The view from our unit was beautiful, we were right over the water. The unit itself was clean and very comfortable, it was nice to have the full kitchen, living/dining room and then separate sleeping loft. We also had 1.5 baths. The unit was nicely decorated, white wicker furniture, saltillo tile floors, tv & cd player, well-appointed kitchen. I think the biggest advantage Gallows has over any other locations is the ability to walk into Cruz Bay. It was great not having to worry about driving home (in the dark, on the left side of the road) after having drinks. I will definitely stay there again. Ask about A/C, our unit didn't have it and it wasn't a problem (the breeze was strong) until the last night when I was sunburned and couldn't cool off. It would have been nice to have the option of using A/C. I think they've put it in most units by now though (they had it in all the lower level (garden) unit bedrooms when we were there, and I think that one of the management companies, Suite St. John, has put it in the units they manage. <BR>If you're looking for more privacy, a villa is a great way to go, you'll just have to drive into town for restaurants etc. We stopped by the Westin and Caneel just to check them out. Caneel's location can't be beat--the beaches are beautiful, and it's right in the national park. We didn't get to walk around the grounds though, they keep people who aren't guest in the front part of the resort (therefore, try to reserve a room on one of the beaches further into the resort property). We did walk through the westin, and they have a huge pool, tennis courts, etc., but their beach is man-made and not nearly as beautiful as the national park beaches, and the westin is about a 10 minute drive from Cruz Bay. It's in a residential area of St. John.

cyn Nov 2nd, 2001 07:21 AM

Cory: I used Caribbean Villas to book our villa this past May for our 1 year anniversary. We stayed at a villa called Happy Moon which was about $1500 (with tax) for the entire week. It's small (2-bedrooms) but very quaint and extremely private..It's up in the mountains with a spectacular view of the island, very close to Maho Bay. It also has a pool with a private deck that splits the kitchen/living room quarters from the bedroom quarters (which are housed separately). I loved that little villa and the owners kept it EXTREMELY clean. They also fully stock the kitchen with all kinds of spices and every appliance you need. We cooked many of the nights we were there. It's close to all the North Shore beaches but you DEFINITELY need to rent a jeep to climb up the STEEP driveway. The villa is actually fairly new with screens on all the windows so we had no bug problems (which is can be a problem with the older homes because their screens are not in good condition). The bedrooms each have sliding patio doors which offer great views of the island and Coral Bay.

karen Nov 11th, 2001 12:02 PM

Hi all,<BR><BR>I read on Fodor's all about your help for trip planners to St. John. <BR><BR>I have a few questions that maybe you could help me out on.<BR><BR>1. What side of the road do cars drive on? I read that it is British style - the reverse of the US, but since St. John is a US Virgin Island, I wanted to check that out. Also, do you know if any of the jeeps are automatic to rent, or stick only?<BR><BR>2. I can't decide between staying at Caneel Bay or Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda. Can you give me any more details about Caneel? I read the Fodor's rave and reviews, and people said the service was really downhill.<BR><BR>3. Lastly, any recommendations on restaurants on St. John?<BR><BR>Thanks!