Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just returned from Ritz/P.R. and St Croix (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-returned-from-ritz-p-r-and-st-croix-70449/)

Jeff Apr 30th, 2000 07:00 PM

Just returned from Ritz/P.R. and St Croix

Just returned from a trip to Puerto Rico and to St. Croix. Stayed at the Ritz in Puerto Rico but spent much time at the El San Juan a few minutes away. Had some reservations about the Ritz, loved the El San Juan and enjoyed St. Croix/Buccaneer even more than I expected. Any questions!

peg May 1st, 2000 03:37 AM

Hi Jeff -- I put a "please tell us more" reply to you under USVI forum question about water and temps on STX... :-) Peg

DeeDee May 1st, 2000 03:31 PM

Would be interested in comments of Ritz PR - is it is oasis close to the airport? where can you play golf? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Jeff May 1st, 2000 04:25 PM

The Ritz--- <BR>Enjoyed the hotel but didn't think that it was up to Ritz standards. The first room had crumbs, yes potato chip crumbs on the bed. There was a Q-tip as well. They changed and upgraded our room and there was an old melon in the honor bar of the new room. Can't make this stuff up. But as we settled in, the hotel was nice, the gym better than hotel usual and the spa was awesome. The pool was good but the week that we went the kids were off from school and in our pool. As the week went on, the kids went home. The best part was that the hotel was peaceful and a ten minute walk from the El San Juan which had a bunch of popular bars, the Palm Restaurant, a Mexican, Japanese, Italian and Southwestern restaurant. The hotel is on the airport. When we took off to go home, we could see the Ritz just over the trees from the runway. It was so loud from the front of the hotel but less noisy from the pool in back. Didn't golf---sorry.

John May 2nd, 2000 07:44 AM

Jeff, <BR>We corresponded via email a couple of weeks back, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. We'll be checking into the Ritz in San Juan a week from tomorrow. Would you suggest switching to the El San Juan? Also, what area restaurants do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

peg May 3rd, 2000 03:54 AM

Hi -- You might check the SJ Grand. Just next door, but should be at least $150 less than the El San Juan if you shop around, and a lovely hotel with several good restaurant (Ruths Chris, an Italian, a Japanese, etc.). I heard rooms at ESJ are very small. SJ Grand rooms are spacious and very nice; pool is lovely, but hot tub only lukewarm when we were there. One caveat--if you're there on the weekend, bar band plays until 3:00 a.m. and can be heard as high up as 4th or 5th floor on beach side of building. We stayed there a few months ago, and had noise/vibration in our 4th floor room... so request higher up or street side. Note that we specifically asked about noise, and were not told about the bar band--so don't take their word for it if they tell you music stops at 11:00, which is what they told us. Otherwise, a really nice hotel, clean, beautiful pool, nice-ish beach (Isla Verde beach is like Miami Beach) friendly staff, etc. You can walk next door to visit El San Juan bars, etc.. I booked on-line and got better rate ($220 + tax at 1travel.com I think) than I could get by calling the hotel directly. Across the street in a small strip mall from all these hotels, and next to Baskin Robbins, is a small restaurant called Ma Casita. Busy with locals and visitors. Inexpensive and pretty good. We ate dinner and breakfast there for a lot less than you can get in any hotel. We thought the red meats tasted funny in PR--bacon and steak both funky--might have something to do with what livestock is fed... Feel free to write to me directly if you have specific questions. Hope this helps. good luck!