Reload this Page >

Just Returned from Pink Beach Club, Bermuda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:47 AM
maggie

Am happy to post a trip report from Bermuda with the hubby.<BR><BR>Arrived home last Wed. 7 Aug 02. This is our twelfth trip to the island -- we've been going every year twice a year for the past six years since we were married in '96. So, ask away. Hubby has to travel a lot to far east, Europe and domestically, so Bermuda seems to always win over the Hamptons or Martha's Vineyard as our summer getaway.<BR><BR>When you visit Bermuda, I would personally recommend their cottage colonies, especially Pink Beach Club & cottages or Horizons & Cottages -- the large resorts tend to offer less personalized service. Yvette took care of us for breakfast (in our cottage), gave whatever we needed for the room, etc., and delivered her rendition for the great weather for the day.<BR><BR>...con'td<BR><BR>...cont'd

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:50 AM
maggie

I'll post more info as the day progresses, but thought I should make a posting as soon as I could before the memory fades.<BR><BR>I'll try to post things as personal as possible, detailing what their website: www.pinkbeach.com or their brochure boasts.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:58 AM
maggie

Well, we began our wonderful journey in the dark, literally. Can you believe we had a power outtage in NY the night prior to departure? That made an even nicer excuse to leave the mainland for Bermuda the following morning. We had to literally leave for the airport in the dark since power hadn't been restored.<BR><BR>Arriving from EWR CO 1924 a whole half hour early (apparently our pilot wanted to get to the island as soon as possible). We were scheduled to arrive around 12:14 p.m. (AST) but were happily to arrive 11:45 a.m. Foot traffic at both EWR & BDA's terminals was unusually light compared to prior trips, so we didn't know what to expect.<BR><BR>BDA's customs agents, skycaps, and taxi drivers upon our greeting were "aimed to please" us upon our arrival.<BR><BR>As soon as we arrived at the Pink Beach Club which is only a short jaunt from the airport (shorter than the others like Cambridge Beaches or the Fairmont Southampton Princess) on the other end of the island. Pink BEach club is located in the the island's premier residential area in Smith's Parish of Tucker's Town.<BR><BR>Another couple also from NYC from the same flight had just arrived minutes earlier and were checking in. To our benefit, both suites were availabe prior to the normal check-in (2:00 p.m.) So, we were whisked away with our luggage to our cottages via a driver.<BR>...cont'd.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Island Girl

Maggie: Were you isolated at Pink Beach Club? Did you go out and explore? Did you take all your meals there? Is there enough there to keep people in one spot?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:08 AM
maggie

We were in Bay Grape Cottage #3 which is one of the smaller cottages housing a maximum of 4 ocean front suites. #1 and #2 are on the upper level; #3 and #4 are on the lower level. Bay Grape Cottage sits atop a coral bluff overlooking within water level the ocean and WEst Beach, one of the two beaches offered on this cottage colony.<BR><BR>I would recommend staying in this cottage since it pretty much stands alone on the west beach. The hubby and I had such a marvelous time swimming with the fish just outside our suite -- angel & parrot fish, native to the island swim within feet from our terrace overlooking the ocean. A school of angel fish 24"- 30" in length to about 4"-5" in depth swam daily with us, who'd appear after 10:30 a.m - 4:00p.m. They are so beautiful -- we managed to come very close to them in the shallow water about 3'. As I piggybacked with my husband, we swam as close as 2 feet from the angel fish, where multi-colored lime green, yellow & electric blue hues illuminated their bodies. This was the most memorable experience yet.<BR><BR>...cont'd.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:14 AM
maggie

To "Island Girl's" questions.<BR><BR>No. We were not alone out there. Pink Beach Club is set up like the traditional cottage colony where the next cottage is quite literally next door, scattered among 16.5 acres. Pink Beach offers guest two restaurants: one casual, the other formal. The Breakers is the casual restaurant which is in the main club house overlooking the heated pool, and the other the Bermudiana is the more formal (jacket & tie required for dinners) inside the main club house.<BR><BR>Because of the location of Pink Beach Club, they are within minutes of downtown Hamilton, so they are not away completely from the main drag.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:20 AM
maggie

To island girl cont'd...<BR><BR>Pink Beach Club is located in the more residential area (more quiet less developed) of the island and is within easy access of both the airport & city of Hamilton yet guests can enjoy just about everything (outside the must-see island tours or landmarks). Amenities and activities include the usual har-tru tennis court & nearby golf course (Mid-Ocean).<BR><BR>I should note that when the friendly faces of the Breakers restaurant comes to your sun hut on the beach and asks you what you want for lunch, remember that a 16 oz. bottle of cold evian will cost you $7.50 per bottle.........YIKES!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:31 AM
maggie

I recommend Pink Beach Club for a number of reasons. #1 would be the island itslelf. We couldn't possibly find a destination with the charm and culture that Bermuda offers as close to NY or east coast as other summer getaways: the hints of English & American influences are great, yet the calm island life hits you ever more as you realize you are inded far from the mainland. <BR><BR>#2. Pink Beach Club is our favorite cottage colony mainly due to its location on the island. Sure Horizons & Cottages is "nice", but Horizons doesn't have direct access to the beach, which has to share its beach access to the exclusive Coral Beach & Tennis Club -- don't forget nearby Elbow BEach resort along with its guests are just on the next section of the beach too. Pink Beach is in the quieter residential area of the island, but is only a fraction of the cost for a taxi ride into town or the airport. For the more adventurous type (driving on the left), Pink Beach even offers scooters for rent on the premises. A bus stop for service throughout the island is within walking distance of the main entrance to Pink Beach Club.<BR><BR>#3. Bay Grape Cottage -- sits alone pretty much on the WEst beach. Sure there's other cottages, but somehow guests stay on the East beach.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:42 AM
maggie

you can order breakfast the night before (fill out their form in your room) for service the next morning by Yvette (in Bay Grape Cottage). Our suite, an ocean front suite, has a separte living room with couch, 2 arm chairs, a tiny refrigerator/bar area. Small square dining table w/2 dining chairs; 4 paneled sliding glass doors which opens to an 8' X 10' open terrace overlooking the ocean. The MBR has a King bed w/the usual 400+ thread count sheets; tiled floors throughout with area rugs in front of the bed & sides. two dresser drawers with a vanity & mirror to the side; two side tables; two sitting chairs and inside the bedroom has two white paned windows which overlooks the south side of the ocean (panoramic) ocean of West BEach; and another two windows overlooking the EAST side of West beach. Both living room and MBR have separate AC units (working perfectly fine) remember to keep the temperature via remote control below 70 degrees farenheit. Otherwise, the unit will stay humid. Low fan speed too. details details.....very important.<BR><BR>The newly renovated bathroom has dual sinks; marble tops; tiled floors and walls; one large mirror; full bath & shower (water pressure more than adequate); lots of bath, hand & face towels; at least four per person. BAth robes (with Pink Beach Crest); iron, ironing board; clock radio; NO TV (but can be rented if you choose). <BR><BR>...cont'd<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:48 AM
maggie

The current '02 rate for our room, Bay Grape Cottage (ocean front suite category) was $575 (MAP meal plan = breakfast & dinner); and $535 BP (Bermuda Plan_= breakfast only & afternoon tea in the Hibiscus Lounge in the main club house)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:53 AM
penny

Maggie, thank you for your detailed report on Pink Beach! We have moped around that area for years, Tuckers Town is charming. We do Bermuda for our summer vacation too!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:26 PM
maggie

Hi Penny!<BR><BR>I remember you from last year's posting re: Anguilla and Cap Juluca.<BR><BR>Bermuda does seem to win our vote year after year, even when the other choices are probably tastier, more thrilling and exciting -- However, for me and the hubby the old standard always wins, at least this year.<BR><BR>We were so sorry to hear about the White Sands cottages' recent closing -- indefinitely. We grew so close to the familial staff -- especially at the Captain's Table. We were told by a taxi driver that the new owner (from NJ) upon purchasing the property (White Sands) immediately brought the place into bankcruptcy and hadn't paid the staff for over 6 months.<BR><BR>Pink Beach Club is also going through some extensive improvements including the erection of another building -- am not sure about its completion. We were happy in our cottage which we felt had no impact on the laborers -- West Beach was at our feet with no care in the world....<BR><BR>Tucker's Town's new development of luxury waterfront homes is nearing completion too -- just received their property layout in the post.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:01 PM
ian

I have been stressing over where to stay next week in Bermuda. I made reservations at Southhampton Princess, and changed my mind because it was too big - although the price was great! I made reservations at Cambridge - but changed my mind because it was too far away. I made reservations at Horizons(only garden view room left)- but changed my mind because it was not on a Beach and you had to pay extra for access to the Beach. Horizons reservationist, Julie, was very understanding and responsive. Reefs was sold out, except for one small room above the front entrance. Grotto Bay had a good package with extensive renovations, but they were sold out for my dates. Now, we are booked at Pink Beach Club, Ocean View room with BPlan because we want to explore restaurants elsewhere. Wish they had a dine around plan, because I hear their food isn't too great. I will let you know when we return how it all went. This is a special 50th BD surprise celebration, and I want it to be very special. What would you suggest for 3 days for 2 adventure seeking adults - other than chill-out and stop stressing about where to stay in Bermuda? Thanks.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:24 AM
Maggie

Hi Ian!<BR><BR>Sorry it's taken so long to respond if you're still doing prep plans for your upcoming BD celebration in Bermuda. I'd only returned to this site this week.<BR><BR>I would personally recommend Hartley's Undersea Walk -- essentially HELMET diving. He should be listed in the official bermudatourism site. I wouldn't miss this outing for your one adventure trip on the island. He'll (Hartley) at most take no more than 10-12 people at a time and will make such an impression on you -- a true environmentalist who truly cares about marine life and the impact we make on them. <BR><BR>You will literally touch a variety of fish with your bare hands -- from angel, parrot, red snapper, fish, etc. The area where he takes you will be to an isolated but private area southeast of the island at Watford bridge (???). I have his brochure here somewhere. Try this link www.hartleybermuda.com<BR><BR>Also, I would recommend taking a horseback ride tour @ Spicelands -- again check the bermudatourism site -- you are taken to the beach in a group, one person/horse along Horseshoe Bay beach, one of the public beaches. It's memorable if you can imagine.<BR><BR>Of course there's always the dining experience. Go for Indian at Bombay restaurant in Hamilton -- try any of their Tandoori dishes, esp. lamb or goat. Have that Mango Lassi drink too!<BR><BR>Other adventures I'm sure to the more adventurous type exist, but for the more casual laid back, but most memorable outings, these won't disappoint. Good luck!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:13 PM
karen

Has anyone on this Bermuda board also been to Barbados? We're making our vacation plans for next July and, even though it's early, I like to gather as much information as possible before I make final reservations. Is there any comparison between the two islands? Is Bermuda good for a family vacation (our kids are 7 and 14)? We're specifically looking for a beachfront villa or cottage and a pool would be nice too. Are accommodations like this plentiful in Bermuda? It looks like such a charming island, we just don't know much about it. Information appreciated! Thanks, Karen