Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Negril, Jamaica. Any questions??

Old Dec 19th, 1998, 11:24 AM
Carl

Stayed at Rockhouse and Legends Resort.(E.P.)
Will be glad to answer any questions as best I can.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 02:20 PM
rita

hi carl we would like to visit negril on or about the 16th of january 99. am interested in your comments on where you stayed prices food activities location and such. we are two single women travelling and would like to be somewhere where the atmosphere is lively nightlife but on the casual side as opposed to a couples romanitic sort of place any input you have would be appreciated. we are both in our early thirties if this helps thankyou

Old Dec 23rd, 1998, 07:13 PM
Amelia

Hi Carl,

Is there a section of the Negril beach that is more family oriented and where you are not likely to see people in the buff. Can you name some hotels in that area? Thanks.

Old Dec 25th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Diane

Charela Inn tries to be "family" oriented, although as there are many Europeans who vacation in Jamaica, you may find topless bathing more than totally nude. The C/O places in Jamaica are more likely to be at the all inclusives, but some smaller hotels, (like Firefly) are pretty "relaxed." European children are apparently used to it.

Most folks on the beach were "suited" when we were last there. Not nearly as much nudity as St. Martin/Maarten. I really think of Negril as more of an adults' trip. Bahamas, Cayman Islands, and some of the other British influenced islands are more prim, as are Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and the Latin Caribbean.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 03:18 PM
Carl

Sorry to take so long to respond to your questions but I was especially busy with the holiday. As far as nudity goes, I was surprised by the lack of nudity. I did see a few topless women, but not nearly as much nudity as I expected from the previous comments of others who visited Negril. Although, I must say I am in no way offended by nudity. To each his/her own. Legends was a modern, clean, basic resort. Very reasonably priced although I know you'll pay quite a bit more if you're going in the high season(Dec 15 to April 15). It was right in the middle of all the action. There is live reggae 2 "doors" down at DeBuss 3 nights a week and you must try their jerk chicken. It's the best on the planet. A short walk the other way are Risky Business, Roots Bamboo, and Alferd's. All of which have live reggae at least several nights a week. The Rockhouse is in the west end of Negril. It's much quieter and laid back in this end. No beachs, but stunning cliffs. The setting at the Rockhouse is quite unique. I recommend that you check out their website at www.rockhousehotel.com. The only problem was that we were placed in the a villa which was right next to the Pickled Parrot, a great place next door with a water slide, but a little noisy (not much) in the evenings. However, most of the villas are well removed from this area. I'd highly recommend a dinner there even if you're not staying there. The food is quite good and the atmosphere is great, b4 or after dark. Other rec'd restaurants are Just Natural(great breakfast), Piarates Cave and Chicken Lavish in the West End. Sweet Spice in the "town" area of Negril. On the beach, the previously mentioned DeBuss for jerk chicken, Cosmos for outstanding seafood, Sonya's Patties for the best Jamaican Patties I've ever tasted, Spring Park for breakfast and dinner. Drinks at Legends are 2 for 1 from 4 to 6 or 7. Highly recommend a day trip to YS Falls, Black River (you'll see crocs on the tour and Lover's Leap, incredible view, 2000 ft sheer drop. Take a flashlight for the beach at night and travel in at least pairs and it's no problem. Also take plenty of insect repellant. Enjoy!!

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 02:15 PM
Kellie

How long did it take to get to YS Falls? Was the road windy (I get car sick). Do you climb the falls like Dunns River or just look and take pictures?