Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just returned from COUPLES NEGRIL.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-returned-from-couples-negril-278281/)

Angela Dec 8th, 2002 09:17 AM

Just returned from COUPLES NEGRIL..

Any questions I will answer!!!

Mary Dec 8th, 2002 09:50 AM

We are going to Couples Negril on Jan 4th for the first time. I do have a few questions. Could you tell me if we should request a room upgrade when we get there? How did you dress for the evening? More casual or dressy? Did you have any spa services? Is there anyone in particular a person should ask for? Lastly, did you take the bus from Montego Bay and if so how long did it take? Thanks for any help you can give.

Angela Dec 8th, 2002 10:17 AM

Okay , first the rooms..<BR>we had a regular gardenveiw room, building 4, room 4208, in the middle of all the beautiul palm trees and so on...we also had a view of a few small ponds with beautiful fish in them. I believe the differences in the rooms are as follows, the suites are bigger, and the bathrooms in them are much bigger..but again we were completely satisifed. You are going I believe during the beginning of &quot;high season&quot;, so they may not have any upgardes available once you get there, I would maybe try to do that now, or take the chance and wait! But again, all of the views from what I could tell are stunning, the whole resort is enveloped in lush trees, plants, and it is beautifully landscaped, we fell in love with it. We did not eat at their &quot;Fancy&quot; restaurant, which is the only one you need reservations for (The Otaheite), which requires a collard dress shirt and long slacks, and closed toed shoes for men, and dress pants, or skirt for women. The other placed to eat, The Cassava Terrace, is also great, it is a buffet style, but they do have jerk cchicken and jerk pork made right there on the grill, it is delicious! (I am not big on spicy foods, but the jerk chicken is out of this world!). The Beach Grill is used for dining during the day, which includes cheeseburgers, hamburgs, hotdogs, jerk chicken, grilled cheese..and a few others, also has a salad bar, and drinks...their dress code is pretty lax, women can wear their bathing suits, and just have a cover up , or shorts, thats it (although I saw some without cover ups..lol), and then men just need a regular t-short, and shorts! Yes, they have spa services, it is beautiful there too, I did use them, but I believe they offer massages, nails, hair, all the good stuff! Yes, we took the bus from Montego Airport to Negril, the ride is not bad at all...maybe an hour, or so, depending on traffic getting from airport, and how many time you have to stop to let the cows cross the road, I am serious...lol..they just stand there...lol.. I did not mind the ride , it was interesting to see how the locals live, and boy, most of the houses are so small, and you have to stop and thank god for the things we take for granted here...Everyone at the resort was the friendlist I have ever met...the jamacians are trult beautiful people! Make sure to sign up for all the excurisons, I recommend the Glass bottom boat ride, the Sunset Catamaran Cruise, (those you sign up for at th water sports area), and the shopping trip to Negril, and the trip to Ricks Cafe...anything else specifically you want to know, please ask...Also, the bartenders are excellent there. My favorite people were Yuri (watersports), Franklin (works at the lobby , may be the one to show you around), and even the workers who took care of the grounds...Just be friendly, and say &quot;hi&quot; to the staff, and they are super sweet, you will find yourself saying 'Yaah, Mon, and No Problem Mon, everthing is IRIE!&quot;.

Suzi Dec 9th, 2002 04:06 PM

We were at Couples, Negril one year ago. It was fabulous in every way! Our room was in the 800 building, which I would recommend. It was close to the beach, and we could see the beach from our balcony, and it was in a quiet area of the resort. We were on the second floor. I would not bother with a room upgrade, or paying more for a suite unless you want more space. If you do, then the 600 builing would be perfect in my opinion. One of our favorite things about this resort was the continental breakfast delivered to your door each morning upon request. We had coffee and juice and pastries around 8:00 on our beautiful balcony, then went to breakfast later. All the food was wonderful, especially the Grill at night, and the beach grill during the day. I loved the spa, and enjoyed several treatments while we were there. I would recommend Stephanie, for a reflexology, definately! We dressed in dresses or skirt, slacks, and collared shirts for dinner. Closed toed shoes are a must for the gourmet restaurant, which we really enjoyed on the evening of our anniversary. It was lovely! We took the bus there, and paid the extra money to fly on the return trip to the airport, giving us the entire morning at the resort! It was worth it, the bus ride is a pain.But we've read that it's much better now since the road construction is finished. We'd love to answer any questions. Enjoy!

Jerry Dec 10th, 2002 07:20 AM

Angela:<BR><BR>My wife and I are going to Couples Negril in February, 03, and we do have some questions. So nice of you to offer to give us rookies some insight. <BR><BR>1. How crowded does the beach and pool get. I hate not having enough chairs for the guests. <BR><BR>2. What did you do in the evenings. I hear the place gets kinda quiet at night. Do they have any entertainment at night, or any parties? I don't expect (nor do I want) them to have a toga party like Hedonism, but it'd be nice to know they have something to do at night. <BR><BR>3. Is it safe to walk on the beach at night? Do they have security on the beach at night? Is the pool open at night? <BR><BR>4. We are toying with the idea of using the clothing optional beach, at least for one day. Was it being used? I hear its out in the open. <BR><BR>Thanks for answering my questions.<BR><BR>Jerry

JESSIE Dec 10th, 2002 07:33 AM

I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH WAS THIS RESORT AND HOW LONG DID YOU STAY?

Angela Dec 10th, 2002 07:53 AM

We went at the tail end of &quot;low season&quot;, so it was not all crowded, until the last few days it did fill up. You are going at a time when it is considered &quot;high season&quot;. so keep in mind, it will probably be near capacity. I was able to find beach chairs, with no problem, just try to get there a bit early (9am or so). As far as the pool being open at night, I believe it was, but honestly I did not use the pool once...lol..the beach is stunning, the grounds are lush, and the staff is out of this world. I did see Security during the day on both ends of the beach, you can walk onto other resorts properties, but you will need to give them your room number. Hmm, the clothing optional side doesn't seem to exist in just ONE spot...lol..I saw topless people scattered throughout the whole beach area, even a few up at the pool area also topless....so feel free to bare it...:)<BR><BR>As for nightlife, it is a bit quiet later at night, they have a piano bar, a disco party, a party on the beach..(you will find a listing of all these in the wooden book in your room), you may also sign up for various excursions (sign up at the lobby and also at water sports desk.) 1. sign up for the Sunset Catamaran Cruise (so romantic), 2. shopping trip to downtown negril 3. the glass bottom boat ride. a little hint, make sure to sign up for these when you get there, as they do these on certain days! We walked the beach at night, and you may encounter a few locals trying to see you some &quot;ganja&quot;, just politely tell them &quot;no&quot; or &quot;yes&quot;...lol , and keep going. It didn't bother me too much, since they are just trying to make a living. We also took the bus ride from the airport to the resort, which was about an hour, and the ride was fine...the roads are finished, and you get to see how the people live, and the country side. I suggest doing it that way, instead of chartering a flight, you get to see how they live. Make sure to try to the jerk chicken and pork it is fabulous. Also the service is a bit slower than you may be used to, this was fine with me, as I enjoyed the beautiful scenery and people. Very relaxing! Make sure to say &quot;HI&quot; to Yuri (in watersports), and Franklin, (up at the front desk), but everyone is sooo sweet...Any more questions, feel free! Have a great trip..

Angela Dec 10th, 2002 08:12 AM

Jessie,<BR><BR>We stayed 12-2-12-7, 2002, It was the most beautiful vacations I have ever taken. If you are in love, this is the place for you and your other half..lol..Everything there is wonderful..Their pictures of the rooms and grounds and beaches are is EXACTLY how EVERYTHING looks...(Couples.com). We got a &quot;deal&quot; on it, because the hotel we were supposed to stay at was closing temporarily for rennovations, but I believe this resort runs about 2400.00-3000.00, for a 5 night, 6 day stay, also depending on where you are flying out of....please feel free to ask anything...but I will tell you, this reosrt is a FANTASTIC dream spot!!!

sukie Dec 10th, 2002 09:33 AM

Hi Angela, so glad to hear that you had such a fantastic time-we are leaving in two weeks, how was the weather? did you ever need like a sweater at night? is it humid right now or just perfect? how were the bug-a-boos? You have me so excited now!

Angela Dec 10th, 2002 09:50 AM

hi, Oh, you are so lucky, you will LOVE it...lol..it is heaven on earth! Okay, well, it was very sunny early, then towards afternoon , it did tend to cloud up a bit, (but was still in the 80's, beautiful!)....ya know, the sun was in and out for a bit...but I couldn't have asked for better weather. The humidity was not too bad, we had a lot of beezes going, so it was totally bearable..and the water was perfect....I have been back for 2 days, and I don't see any signs of bug bites...yet..lol..some say the &quot;no see-um bugs&quot; take 4 days or so..but nothing yet! We were not on the beach too much at night, so that is probably why we didn't get bit...I did have a bee fly in my hair and get stuck...lol..but it found it's way out...lol...anything else you need to know, I am here to answer and have a great trip....Everything will be IRIE!!!

Sukie Dec 10th, 2002 10:33 AM

Angela you rock- thank you, thank you, thank you, I thought I was losing my mind. We got back on a Saturday, and I only had a couple bites and then like the following Wednesday is when these bites starting appearing. I researche dit here, but only saw &quot;about&quot; the no-see-ums, not the delay thing that you pointed out. Oh well, I guess the good news is that you are not really bothered while you are STILL ON vacation, ha.

Sukie Dec 10th, 2002 10:36 AM

I should have clarified, that we got back from Sanibel Island a couple weeks ago on a Saturday, we don't leave for Jamaica for two weeks. Sorry I am new at this.

Angela Dec 10th, 2002 01:22 PM

Oh, thats okay..lol..I am new to this also, I was just posting messages, so if people had questions, I could most likely help them out...

jessie Dec 11th, 2002 06:58 AM

Thanks for the information i am looking to go on a all inclusive vacation with my husband in feburary or march depending on when we can both get off of work. we wanted to say from a wed to a sun do you think this is enought time to relax. I think so. well thanks for all the information.<BR>Jes

Patrick Dec 11th, 2002 11:09 AM

Angela - thanks for your info. <BR><BR>Mary - me and my wife ( Barbara ) are going down to Couples the same time as you. From all that we have read on the internet over the last few months, this place looks like the best overall AI around. If you see a guy at the pool bar with a dark blue bathing suit getting stupified with scotch ( and maybe an occasional pina colada) - that'll be me!