Reload this Page >

Just retuned from Biras -- incredible

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
jj

Just got back from 9 days at Biras Creek. It was wonderful. I would be happy to answer any questions!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Jim

We are going for 8 days in February. Is there enough to do? How are the rooms? We heard the new management was not providing proper service. Also, is it difficult to get to St Thomas? Ferry? What is your over-all opinion of the resort?

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Don

Are the oceanfront rooms worth an extra $800 for a week or are the garden ones okay? I think they are the exact same size, just one is closer to the water. Thanks.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Susan

We were at Biras in November for our honeymoon. Wonderful place and worth every penny! The food was incredible - gormet 3 times a day! There really is plenty to do. Hiking, reading on the beach, snorkeling, excursions in the dingys, taxi on VG, showering in the outdoor showers. Not sure where the managment rumors are coming from. They were excellent, all staff was very attentive to our needs, always caring.<BR>Getting to St Thomas would be difficult - but who wants to go there when you can stay in paradise!<BR>As far as our overall opinion of Biras, both of us are in the resort industry at 4 star resorts. Not sure what Biras is rated but should be close to 5 star status - very very nice!<BR>We also debated on the $800 extra for ocean front. We went for it and our view was incredible and well worth the upcharge!<BR>Let me know if you have anymore questions!<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Kim

Hi jj,<BR><BR>We were wondering how long you stayed and if you don't mind could you give us a general idea of what your trip cost?<BR><BR>Is it easy to get to Biras - can you give us an idea of the amount of time it took to travel to the resort?<BR><BR>We are considering Biras for a honeymoon but would like to understand all of the costs and the travel commitment before we go.<BR><BR>Thank-you.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:20 PM
jj

Hi - just looked at my pictures from Biras -- it was soo beautiful. Now to answer some questions:<BR><BR>1. We had an oceanview room which was great. You just walk out on to the deck and the ocean is just steps away. I think it was worth the extra money for us, waking up with that view and going to sleep with the sounds of the waves. We didn't see the garden rooms, but I am sure they are nice and I think they are the same size.<BR><BR>We spent about $5,500 for 8 nights - probably about $4,500 for the room/food/taxes... and the rest for excursions (we did many of thoses) and purchases. This was the last week before rates change for the holiday season, so I think it was a good deal.<BR><BR>We took 2 planes from NY. NY-San Juan (3.5 hours) and then San Juan to Tortola (30-45 min). Then we were met at the airport by someone from biras who took us to a boat which took us to Biras. The boat ride was about 30 minutes. <BR><BR>The housekeeping staff was great -- they brought fresh flowers everyday and everyone was really friendly.<BR><BR>There was plenty to do (if you want to). We went on several snorkeling trips -- Wreck of the Rhone, The Baths, Anegada, and a day sail (my husband said that I ran him around too much....)<BR><BR>There is a day trip that goes to St. Thomas mainly for shopping. (we didn't go on this one, maybe if we had two weeks!)<BR><BR>The management was very nice. We did have an excursion mixup at the beginning of the trip, but everything worked out and the assistants were overly apologetic.<BR><BR>The food was great and I am a very picky eater. One night we decided that we didn't want such a large dinner, so we went to this great cafe that is, I think, privately owned, but on the Biras property. It's called the Fat Virgin Cafe - terrific sandwiches and appetizers. Biras will give you a voucher to present to the cafe, so you don't have to pay for the meal.<BR><BR>There were some honeymooners at Biras -- it's definately worth it!<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:25 PM
wondering

jj,<BR><BR>You mentioned that your oceanview room was just steps from the sea. How was the swimming and snorkeling?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:38 AM
jj

You can't swim in the waters right near your suite. You have to bike down to the beach (5 min). The swimming and snorkeling were great. Lots of interesting colors -- coral and fish.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Katie

Why can't you swim on the beach right outside your suite?? The reason we book a waterside suite is so that we can get up in the morning and dive straight in!<BR><BR>Katie

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:37 AM
fyi

Biras is on three bays. The accomodations are one one and the swimming beach is on another. Bikes are provided for the three-quarter of a mile difference. Beach by the rooms is a sunning and walking beach and too rough for swimming.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Delegator

We returned from Biras less than one month ago and we didn't spring for the ocean view room and we absolutely don't regret it. We were in room 1A and could see the ocean through some thin trees. It was less than 10 yards away. And, we could certainly hear the waves. I guess you'd say it was partial ocean view. Not all of the garden views had as good a view as 1A, though. I would recommend not spending the $800, particularly if you can get rooms 1A or 1B!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
sand

You might as well save your money if the extra money doesn't put you right on a swimmable beach... I would be very disappointed to find that I was oceanfront on a non-swimmable beach!!!!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Kat

I'm with you, Sand. Researched this issue very intensively and found three resorts that provide that almost-instant access to swimmable beach: Cap Juluca (been twice); Meridian Club on Pine Cay (T&amp;C, going in April for our first time) and Peter Young Island (haven't been yet). Some of the other T&amp;C resorts have direct swimmable access too but I haven't researched them seriously (e.g., Point Grace, Parrot Cay, etc.).

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Rudy

Having recently been to both Biras and Cap Juluca (instant access to beach), I can honestly say they are tied for our favorite. They are both beautiful, top notch resorts. We were in a Grand Suite at Biras, and it was worth every penny. The view from the main seating area became our television. The suite was huge and very well appointed. We loved the bikes and it is a very short and fun ride to a beautiful full service beach. We would wake up early and make tea in the pot provided in the room, and sit on the balcony and watch the orange glow sunrise. Then we would get to breakfast early and go straight to the beach and relax, swim and read. The watersports are great there and we saw a huge turtle when on a Hobie. The Boston whalers (no charge) are great fun as well, instead of exploring by car, you explore by Whaler. The bikes at Biras are free, not like at Cap where they charge per day for them. I also must say that the food at Biras is the best I have had in the caribbean - anywhere. So while your room not being on a swimming beach is really no big deal, it is just different. Having both types of accommodations, I did not feel that I was missing anything by not being able to swim outside my room. Also the management and service was warm and friendly and teriffic, and very safe - also no room keys. Virgin Gorda is a beautiful island and I highly recommend Biras Creek to anyone looking for casual elegant R&amp;R.<BR>If interested the website is www.biras.com

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
gigi

<BR><BR>Kat:<BR><BR>re: TCI - not sure about those particualr resorts you mentioned, but I honeymooned on North Caicos Island, and our resort (Prospect of Whitby) was just a few steps from the wonderful swimmable water.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:58 AM
GoodBeach

The reason the bikes are free at Biras is to make up for the fact that the rooms are a good distance from a traditional Carib-style beach! The Biras web site is deceptive -- you have to hunt around to be aware that you are a 5 min bike ride away from a swimming beach! It seems that people often post glorious reviews of Biras without mentioning that major point, almost as if they are drumming-up business for the resort.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Rudy

Yeah Right, like I have nothing else better to do. Just from my rave review of Biras, I got a free month's vacation........what a stupid thing to say. Bikes or not, Biras is not hurting for business and is booked months in advance because it is a small peaceful retreat with an accommodating staff. It may not be for you but that does not mean they are deceiving anyone. The resort is on a hilltop surrounded by 3 bodies of water. We thought, along with the many repeat customers, that it was one of the best vacations we have been on. That just happens to be my opinion as a recent guest, and I know I am not the only one that shares my opinion.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:07 PM
jj

I am not a the best bike rider (I actually fell off when we were riding to the tennis courts at Biras), so I was a bit nervous taking the bikes to the beach. Once you start enjoying all of the food, you will be happy to have the bikes to ride in order to work off your meals. I've been to many resorts where the beach is right there, but Biras is not your typical Caribbean resort - -it is very private, things are spread out so you don't feel like people are on top of you. The ride to the beach is fun, you get to appreciate the property.<BR><BR>Rudy -- I am thinking about going to Cap Jaluca in May. How does it compare to Biras? Are there enough things to do (excursions, etc)? Can you take a day trip to St. Barts (sp?).<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Rudy

Hi jj,<BR><BR>Yes you can get to St. Barths from Cap. We did not go there, but you have to take 2 ferries, one from anguilla to st martin and st martin to st barths. I think you get a full day at st barths.(we were on St. barths on a another vacation, we did not take the ferry over, but many people did) There are excursions for snorkeling, full and 1/2 day. I recommend the 1/2 day as anguilla is not a great snorkeling spot. The full day trip includes a BBQ lunch on prickly pear island. We did not like being on a boat for that long so we preferred the 1/2 day. There is Jr's glass bottom boat and Chocolat catamaran . There is also Scilly Cay which is great fun but $$$. Its a little island which takes 30 seconds by boat. They grill fresh lobster and crayfish, killer rum punch and live music. Its a fun middle of the day trip. We rented a car and drove around. The best thing about anguilla is the people. The beaches are beaautiful and Cap is a great vacation. We are returning next year. To sum up Anguilla - Very relaxing, beautiful beaches, great local people, safe and great food. Its different from Biras, you don't eat dinner and lunch there every day, so you really get to explore. It is more expensive than Biras but equally as fun in a different way. I also recommend the romantic rendezvous package - Website www.capjuluca.com

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:23 PM
fyi

There are many many upscale resorts that sit directly on magnificant beaches and then there are those like Biras and even Malliouhana on Anguilla that take advantage of the views and the terraine. Some wouldn't consider going other than beachfront but others would stay in non-beach front facilities and that's why places have ocean and garden view at lesser prices. Peter Island (Young Island is a different destination in the Grenadines) has marina oceanview rooms and you get to schlepp to the beach from them too. Not my cup of tea. I didn't like the biking at Biras but I too prefer the water just inches from my room so I can roll right in! But it sure has enough positives that I would highly recommend it - the accomodations, the food, the staff, the landscape, the serenity, the complimentary Boston whalers and the fantastic snorkeling off their beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -