Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just got my profit sharing check for $4,000.00 Where should we travel to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM
inquiring

My husband and I have been to Aruba 3 times. I just got a wonderful profit sharing check so I want to take us somewhere wonderful.<BR><BR>Safety is an important factor for us.<BR><BR>We live in Michigan...will be going to Hawaii next year, so that is out. We are looking for somewhere in the caribbean.<BR><BR>How's Bermuda??<BR><BR>Looking for an upscale resort, romantic settings, that have wonderful landscaping. When I say upscale resort - im talking something in the Marriott's range or higher.<BR><BR>Also we like to vacation mainly for relaxation, though we love all the watersports and sunset cruises. We are not huge partiers.<BR><BR>Thank you very much.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Jennifer

I absolutely love Bermuda.<BR><BR>However, they do not have many upscale resorts. I would choose The Reefs or Southampton Princess.<BR><BR>The Reefs is a little more intimate.<BR><BR>Have fun

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:39 AM
beth

Have you ever considerred Negril, Jamaica, tons of places that are gorgeous, AL or non-al.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM
beth

Sorry, meant to type AI or Non-AI

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:03 AM
fun

How about Nevis. I hear that is one fabulous upscale resort. That is one place that I am going to visit this or next year.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:24 PM
ann

inquiring,<BR><BR>i think you should try turks &amp; caicos. the only problem is that it's a &quot;dry&quot; island and some people are looking for something a bit more lush. but as for sitting on the white sand beach, staring out at the clear, warm, blue water with an occasional dip in, it's absolute heaven. i was convinced to go along with a friend on her vacation, knowing barely nothing about the island and found it to be lovely. there are some great day trips you can take and it's very safe.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:26 PM
x

Cap Julaca, Anguilla

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Kara

It sounds like to me Antigua fits what you are looking for. We honeymooned there last year and really enjoyed it. We stayed at Sandals Antigua. This resort has a laid back/romantic feel to it. The landscaping is very lush/tropical and well kept. Also, none of the buildings are higher than 2 stories, so it gives it a village feel. It has 5 pools/whirlpools spread out throughout the resort which didn't seem to get too crowded because there is a pool for each block. The beach is huge and spread out, you never feel crowded. It's the perfect place to relax, but there are plenty of options if you are looking for something to do (lots of land/watersports). <BR><BR>If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:46 PM
xxx

NO NO NO!!!<BR><BR>What's wrong with you people???<BR>inquiring has $4000.00 to spend and mentioned the words &quot;wonderful&quot; and &quot;upscale.&quot; <BR><BR>I will forgive the reference to Marriott as being upscale as inquiring has not visited the better islands in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>Upscale and wonderful automatically cross all Sandals and every other AI OFF the list.<BR><BR>inquiring, get on the net and check out sites for these resorts:<BR>Four Seasons Nevis<BR>Cap Juluca Anguilla<BR>Little Dix Bay Virgin Gorda<BR>Maroma Playa del Carmen<BR>Paraiso Playa del Carmen<BR>Horned Dorset Primavera Puerto Rico<BR>Casa de Campo Dominican Republic<BR>Grace Bay Club Providenciales<BR>La Luna Grenada<BR>Ladera St. Lucia<BR><BR>This is an unexpected windfall, and you should spend it at one of the best resorts in the world, not at a goofy all inclusive with a bunch of fatties running over you to get to the buffet line.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:52 PM
xxx

Royal Hideway PDC.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Kara

xxx - you need to get over yourself! What is the deal with the fat comment? Just because it is not your taste, doesn't not mean you have to make comments like that. I happened to enjoy the all-inclusive because it was so carefree. I didn't have to think about my finances for an entire week! Now that's relaxing.<BR><BR>The main reason I mentioned Sandals Antigua because I assumed inquiring's price range was around $4,000. We did SA for $5,000 including airfare. Now of course there is Cap Juluca, Four Seasons, etc., but can you do 7 nights including aifare for $4,000? I doubt it. <BR><BR>Inquiring, if looking for more luxury than Sandals, also check out Jumby Bay in Antigua. It is an all-inclusive but it's on the luxury side. It's located on a private island just off the shore of Antigua and I hear it's wonderful.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM
cecelia

Inquiring - I bet you read this post and just go to another site! You probably think what awful, mean spirited people frequent this sight. Well, we are not all like that. If you like Aruba, you would probably like some of the resorts xxx posted, but some will definitely be much more than $4000. Royal Hideaway should be close to that and if you liked Aruba, PDC would do. That is a great resort. Jumby Bay would be great too, but I think it would be closer to 6000 for the week. (I just got there 2003 rates in the mail.) Maybe Palm Island or Galley Bay in Antigua. Never been to Bermuda because we love to travel in the winter and we like to go somewhere very hot. Good luck. Planning can be fun!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Rene

We love Antigua, also. If you are not looking for a lot of informality, try Curtain Bluff. It sounds like you would feel comfortable in that atmosphere. Some people find it to be a little pretentious. Due to the tradewinds, the rooms are pretty comfortable for sleeping at night. The rooms are spacious with upscale furniture. The bathrooms are also very roomy with dual vanities and bidets. Very serene resort with a beautiful beach. Fresh food at the restaurants and an extensive wine list.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:33 PM
cd

Since you are going to Hawaii shortly, why not try the &quot;bank&quot;. Trips are great, but, savings are important too.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Nancy

inquiring,<BR>For $4,000.00 (including air during off-season) I have stayed at three of the resorts on xxx's list that are considered by many to be &quot;the best.&quot;<BR>Four Seasons Nevis, Maroma south of PDC and Ladera in St. Lucia.<BR>For another $1,000., I stayed at Cap Juluca and Horned Dorset Primavera.<BR>I shop carefully for airfare, and we live on the East coast, so I can usually get flights for $300 to $400 pp.<BR>In my opinion also, most true luxury resorts are not all inclusive, and the three Sandals properties I have toured would not come close to approaching the level of accommodations and service to be found at any of the resorts on xxx's list.<BR>That's just my opinion, but I have stayed at and been to some of the top resorts in the Caribbean, and those are only observations as I see them.<BR>I'm sure no matter where you choose to stay you will have a great time.<BR>Congrats on your tidy sum of money to have a nice vacation with! Most companies are cutting out a lot of those types of perks, so you are fortunate.<BR> <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Paradise

If you truly want an unbelievable vacation try St. JOHN USVI. I guarantee if you stay on this island you will fall in love. I have been to almost all of the islands in the Carribean and this is by far the most beautiful/lush/friendly island!! I would recommend that you rent a villa for the week. There are many in the 2,000-3000 range that are sensational with breathtaking views. A good site to learn more is usvi-on-line.com. The beaches are incredible, the people are very nice and the land is stunning. I'll be heading back in May. Take care

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM
jeepers

I agree with the St. John post. My wife and I just got back and it was the most beautiful island we have been to by far!!! We stayed in a villa overlooking Great Cruz Bay. We can't wait to go back. Half of the island is a national park, which makes it even more inviting. If you go definitly try the Stone Terrace restuarant.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:08 AM
3rd vote St. John

We also returned 2 weeks ago from St. John and rented a villa, it was amzaing and a beautiful island. The only other two islands I would recommend would be Bermuda or St. Barts.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Sonia

You might look into staying at the brand new Marriott Hotel in St. Kitts. You can sail to Nevis for the day and hike the rain forest etc. Have dinner at one of the plantation hotels. You will need a car to tour the island. <BR>You could even split your vacation between St. Kitts and Nevis staying at Qualie Beach Club or Hurricane Cove Bungalows in Nevis (you can get fabulous views from Hurricane Cove).

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:16 AM
xxx

I have not been to St. John but a good friend of mine honeymooned there last year and loved it. I have heard nothing but great things about the island, and after seeing pictures...I have not doubt it is paradise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -