Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just got back from Grand Cayman (second trip). I'm open for questions!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:55 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone:<BR><BR>Just got back from second trip to Cayman. Had a blast--even better time than the last! Stayed at the Nautilis cottages again. Right on the beach and lots of shade for those who burn easy (plus lots of sun on the beach for those who like to tan, too). In my opinion, it's the perfect spot! If I can be of any assistance to anyone, please let me know. Be glad to help in any way I can!!<BR><BR>Tia
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:20 AM

Tia<BR><BR>Do they have a website? I am looking for a condo type place, not too expensive. Can you tell me what else you liked about it?<BR><BR>JK
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:29 AM

Hi Tia,<BR>Leaving next Friday for GC. Any &quot;must dos&quot;? How is the shopping? Any bargains? Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Yes, they have a website. Try: http://cayman.com.ky/com/nautilus. It's quite pricey, though. The apts. are from $200-310 I think/night. We stayed in the studio for $75/night. A bargain!! It is SMALL, though. All we did was slept and showed there, so it's perfect for us. Stayed there twice, but the family (in laws) stayed in the apt. and it was wonderful. Very nice and lots of room. Well worth the money, esp. if you can split it with someone else. They're two bedroom units.<BR><BR>The shopping is expensive!!! Nothing on the island is cheap, except alcohol and only when you're leaving as you can get it duty free. Food is esp. expensive. Georgetown is fun shopping, though!! The english bakery downtown is a must stop!! Good stuff!! Snorkeling is out of this world and right by the beach, too. Reefs at Cemetary Beach are wonderful, but a bit of a swim and a little current on the way back. You can't go wrong in Cayman!!<BR><BR>Tia
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM

Tia - We are cruising the Western Caribbean on RCCL-Explorer and will stop in Georgetown for 1 day (8 hours actually). We have 4 teenage boys with us and want to do several things: 7 mile beach, visit Hell, and StingRay City. We are thinking that we can do all of these if we rent a car so here are my questions. Does 7 Mile Beach have public access or must you be a registered hotel guest? Can you tell me where to find out the admission cost to Stingray City if you just drive up to it and don't book an excursion? Thanks, Marty
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

There are several areas of 7 Mile that have public access. There is a beach next to the governors house which is public. A little farther north there is a large section of public beach that has changing rooms/bath rooms available. You can also go to Royal Palms which is a beach bar - there is public access there plus you can get some food and/or drink. Stingray City is not someplace you can drive to - it is in the middle of the North Sound. There are tours available from the ship but your best bet would be to book with one of the tour operators when you get off the ship. Whoever you go with could drop you off, after the snorkel trip, at the beach and then you could taxi back to the ship. I wouldn't go out of my way to see Hell - if you are in that area, I'd stop but it's not worth a special trip. Enjoy the rays and the beach.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:50 AM
kep

Last January we took our three boys 19,16 and 12 at the time on a Western cruise that stopped at Grand Cayman. I booked the 3 stop snorkel/stingray tour with Capt Marvins over the internet for about 30%less than the ship trip. After the snorkling ect we had the driver of the mini van drop us off at seven mile beach then we walked back to the dock along the beach. We had lunch at the hard rock cafe which was about normal price for what we had. On a previous trip we had lunch at the Peninsula outdoor patio and it was so expensive! We were in Gr Cayman again this month and rented a car, a bit of a pain as we wasted time by having to be shuttled to the airport to pick it up and drop it off. Also there was a time difference which made our short visit even shorter. Karen
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:44 AM
Tia
Original Poster

I agree with the above posters, I would not rent a car. They drive kind of crazy there and on the other side of the road. It just seems it would be a pain for only 8 hours. I'd book an excursion from the ship. I'd do it just to save the hassle. However, if you want to book it yourself, go through Captain Marvin for sure. He'll take you to the shallow sand bar where you'll be able to walk in the water vs having to swim the whole time. We went with another charter the first time we went to Cayman. That particular charter didn�t go to the sand bar, but rather to a deeper area. The rays came around, but not a lot of them and you couldn�t really interact with them as the water was so deep.<BR><BR>I know that if you book a trip with the ship, you�ll be able to stop at all the hot spots such as Hell, Stingray City, 7 Mile Beach, etc. Hell is really nothing special whatsoever. We checked it out on this last trip. If it�s part of your package I�d go for kicks, but if you rent a car and are strapped for time, skip it. It�s nothing special at all. Better to spend your time on the beach snorkeling. You won�t be sorry!!! We saw two huge (five foot minimum) nurse sharks about 3 feet from the beach if that along with tons of lobster, flounder, puffer fish, rays, etc. It was fabulous snorkeling this past trip. Lots better than the last time we were there. Hope this helps!<BR><BR>Tia
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM

We are leaving on Friday. We are so excited. What is the dress at most of the restaurants for dinner? ALso, do you need reservations at most places? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:19 PM
Tia
Original Poster

Most of the places we went were sundresses for the ladies and for men a nice shirt (maybe polo) with dressy shorts or pants. They call it &quot;smart casual.&quot; Dressy, but not overly dressy. All the places we went, such as the Warf, Papagayo, Cracked Conch, you need reservations definitely. Others, such as Libertys, you really did not. To play it safe, I'd make a reservation.

Wish I was going back. We had such a fun time this last trip. Hope yours is just as good as ours was!! Safe travels.

Tia
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I agree with the other posters. Hell is worth about 5 minutes interest. All it really is is a tourist stop with the opportunity to buy junk!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Tia-
We just got back too and the one thing that was very obvious this year from previous trips is that the island is less busy. We didn't make reservations all Easter week except for Friday night (BTW, don't waste the $49 U.S. on the seafood buffet at the Marriott--hands down the poorest meal of our week) We had a great time swimming, snorkeling, etc. but the thimble jellyfish were in full control of the Coral Gardens and Stingray City. We stayed at Discovery Point Club and never saw one at 7MB.

Great meal at the Cracked Conch, Pappagallo's, Wharf and the Italian bistro in front of the Hyatt---Pizzeria something. We had one bad experience---Chicken Chicken made one of our teenagers violently ill, but the other 3 of us survived it just fine.

MY BIG COMPLAINT: even in the nicest places, far too many people are getting away with sloppy beach casual attire--we had a family of 8 in beachwear sitting next to us for dinner at the Wharf. I personally don't go to dinner at GC in shorts and my wife/daughter also dress for dinner. Just wish more would enforce their published dress codes.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Hi Tia &amp; all,
I am seriously considering the Caymans for next year's Spring break w/family including 2 teenage sons.
I checked out the Nautilis, seems like it is a place we would consider.
Did you see the Anchorage?
Did you rent a car?
Were you able to walk to any restaurants from the Nautilis?
Any further info you can think to share re: the Nautilis would be great!
Also, a flight from where we live to the Caymans is between $6-700 pperson.
When I price out package deals offered elsewhere, they don't seem to be any better of a deal. Do you book your flights far in advance or wait to see if airfare will go down in price? Just wondering...
Thanks for any tips!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:46 AM

RandyK,
How did you like Discovery Point Club? Would you stay there again? How was the beach in front of Discovery Point Club? Was it a good place for families?
Thank you for any and all info on this place!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 01:27 PM

HI TIA,
MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO THE CAYMAN'S, BUT I AM UNSURE WHERE TO STAY. ALL OF THE BIG RESORTS I HAVE READ ABOUT SEEN TO HAVE A LOT OF NEGATIVE THINGS WRITTEN ABOUT THEM ON THE FORUM'S (HYATT,MARRIOTT,ETC). ANY IDEAS WHERE WE CAN STAY WITH A NICE BEACH, POOL, DIVE SHOP, AND OCEAN FRONT ROOMS? I ALSO WOULD LIKE A BALCONY OR A PATIO OFF OF MY ROOM. ALSO, HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE TURKS AND CAICOS?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
KIM
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 02:49 AM

Randy,

Sounds like your trip was a good one. Although beachwear would appear to be unacceptable at the upper end restaurants, listing it as your &quot;BIG COMPLAINT&quot; for the week sounds a tad snobby. I agree with you, people should (NOT) wear bathing suits to nice restaurants, but it ceratinly wouldn't ruin my meal, let alone be my &quot;BIGGEST COMPLAINT&quot;....chill out my brother...there are worse things to worry about while on vacation. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but your commment really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's just clothing bud...get over it.

Kim,
There are so many choices when it comes to the hotels &amp; condos. Don't let a few bad reports scare you. I'm not saying don't give them merit, but don't think that you can't find a place that will suit you just fine. I'd suggest looking at www.caymanvacations.com. It list most of the hotels &amp; condos on GC. A condo is definitely the way to go. Use the map provided on the site I listed, then look at some of the condos further north on 7MB...there are some great choices.

Tricia, I'm not familiar with Nautilis, so I can't be much help. Again, the site I listed above for Kim may be of help. I'd definitely rent a car no matter what. It gives you the freedom to go all over the island, and check out all the other areas that may be of interest. Plus, if it rains, you can usually drive away from it. Airfare is funny, it seems to change all the time. What we do to try and save money is book the flights first, based on leaving mid-week to get cheaper fares, then booking our condo. We do this usually about 9-12 months in adavance.

Peace...Scott
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Tia
Original Poster

I'm posting my trip report below. I think this may answer some questions. If anyone has any furhter questions, just post. Be glad to help.

Tia

Trip Report:

My husband and I took our second trip to Grand Cayman last week. We had an even better time than we did on our first visit. We stayed at the Nautilus Cottages. I?d highly recommend them. The proprietors (Frank and Beth) were wonderful on both trips. Very accommodating. They go above and beyond to make your trip and stay with them the best possible. They are very nice people. They offer two apartment units (2 bed, 3 bath) for approx. $300 night in high season (well worth it!!). They also have another cottage, but I?m not sure how many bedrooms. It is quite big. It?s approx. $200+/night. However, the bargain is the studio. We rented it for $75/night and it?s literally right on the beach (7 Mile in West Bay). It?s very, VERY small, but we only slept and showered there, so it was great for us. We saved on the studio, therefore we splurged on everything else!!!! The studio has no a/c, but two ceiling fans which worked out great both times we stayed there. We weren?t hot at all. I don?t believe the cottage has a/c either, but I could be wrong. We found the place through a relative that had been staying there for years. When I was looking to set something up for this trip I discovered a web site through a Cayman travel site. I just did a search for Nautilus Cottages on Yahoo.

The first couple days the sea was quite rough. We snorkeled one day, but the water was a bit cloudy. We decided to take the bus into George Town. The bus is another bargain?much cheaper than a cab ($2 CI or $2.50 US each way). For an extra $1 they?ll drop you off at your door. No need to wait at a bus stop. Just flag one down as they drive by. Just figure out what you?ll need?the #1 or #2. It?s very simple and reliable to use. They?ll drop you off at the bus terminal in GT and you can wander around all you like. Do stop at the European Bakery. It?s WONDERFUL!!! We got plenty of pastries to last us our whole trip. Good coffee, too. It was too rough for the ships to come in the day we went, so it was not crowded with people as it had been on our last trip. Things are expensive on the island, but it?s fun to shop around.

The rest of our time was spent snorkeling on 7 Mile Beach. We stayed near Cemetery Reef. We basically just snorkeled near our studio apt. We saw TONS of cool fish, two sharks, ten huge lobster, eels, crabs, sting ray, etc. We did not go back to Sting Ray City on this trip. It is a place you don?t want to miss, however!!! Very cool. Captain Marvin is a good guide to go with. Go to the sand bar vs. the deeper area. Much better interaction with the sing rays where you can stand in the water vs. needing to swim the whole time.

We ate at Liberty?s (great buffet on Wed., Fri., and Sun.) In West Bay near Hell. $15 CI and well worth it. We got to try turtle, curried lobster, jerk chicken and pork, ribs, BBQ chicken, Mahi Mahi, other fish Cayman Style, and so many others I can?t remember. It was very good. We ended up going twice this time. The other three nights we ate at Corita?s Silver Sands in West Bay right by the public beach. WONDERFUL!!! A bargain for local seafood dinners: $8 CI, $10 US. Good desserts and shakes, too. Very friendly people, too. We really enjoyed eating there and will definitely go back again. Oh, how she can cook! Delicious red bean soup, too.

We took a walk to Hell on this trip as we did not on our last. It was really nothing special. I?d skip it if you are short on time and take in something else. It was kind of fun and we took a few pictures. I had a chat with the Devil in the gift shop and bought a postcard and stamps. It was a bit of a joke at our last trip, so we felt we had to go this time. We did get to interact with a chicken and her babies while there which was cool. I snapped a few pictures which turned out really nice. No one believes me when I tell them the chickens are literally everywhere on Cayman! It?s funny to hear them crowing at all hours of the day/night. Actually, it was quite soothing to listen to them and the waves while falling asleep at night. I haven?t slept that good since I?ve been home!!! I wish I was still there!

If I can answer any specific questions, please don?t hesitate to let me know or drop me an email as I?d love to help!!!

Tia.

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:20 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip. I am a thirty something female travelling on my own to GC in June, staying at the Hyatt. Any recommendations for restuarants where I won't feel out of place on my own? Is everywhere full of couples and honeymooners? I would like to make friends but don't want to be hassled. Is it safe to walk around in the evenings alone?
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Tia
Original Poster

I'm not really sure about places to eat near the Hyatt. On our last trip, we ate at the Warf which is near there, but as you say it is a place where couples go. Also the Papagayo is very good as well, but that would be a drive or a taxi ride for you. I wouldn't not go out to eat somewhere nice just because you're by yourself, though. I go out by myself. You're your own best company!!! Another good place (not as fancy or as many people) is Liberty's. They have a good buffet. We really enjoyed a local place, Corita's Silver Sands. Not a lot of swooning couples there!!! My husband and I did walk at night alone. The furthest we went was maybe two miles or so from where we stayed. I felt safe. There were lots of other people walking around, but I wasn't alone, either. It is sort of dangerous with there being no sidewalks in that respect. Maybe carry a flashlight or wear running type shoes with those reflecters on them. We just tried to be extra careful and watch the oncoming traffic. Just be smart about being out alone and you'll be fine. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Tia
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:56 PM

AZTess-
We booked our condo again this year through caymanvacations.com and were completely satisfied. We booked late for spring break (February) because we had expected to go to a second home in Hawaii that we own. Unfortunately our home burned to the ground on 1/20 and so we had to scramble. We worked with Ian Logie at caymanvacations.com and he suggested Discovery Point. We wanted at least second floor and a 2 BR/2 bath ocean side. He was able to quickly e-mail us 4 options.

We've used caymanvacations.com each time we've visited Cayman and they have never disappointed. Their descriptions are accurate and they've always been helpful to us.

Scott66---the clothing issue is just one of taste. No one could go to an upscale restaurant in the US and expect to be served dinner in bathing suits. What they wore wouldn't have mattered so much if the 4 children in this party hadn't spent the entire meal running back and forth between their table and the feeding station that the Wharf has for the tarpon. These kids must have run into our table and jostled us a dozen times in 2 hours---not what I wanted for a dinner experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -