Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just Fantasy Now But Thinking Of Best Island with Easiest Travel from ATL, Lush, Beaches, Some Interesting Town Life, With Kids

Just Fantasy Now But Thinking Of Best Island with Easiest Travel from ATL, Lush, Beaches, Some Interesting Town Life, With Kids

Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take advantage of being close to the carribean now that we are living in Atlanta for a while. (From California so when it comes to tropical I have only been to Hawaii).

Looking for easy flights/short flights.
I like lush vs. arid
Some mellow beaches for kids
Not into big resorts or mega tourist infrastructure
I liked what I read about Trinidad because we would enjoy some of the mesh of cultures and local vibe while walking around but it is a longer flight so I am ruling it out for now.
USVI I worry would feel a bit too "close to home" would like to feel like we are in a different country.

Just would love to help narrow down some ideas so that I can start to move from fantasy to reality in next year or so.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Barbados is vibrant with a British-Caribbean culture, lovely people,and a huge variety of hotels, beaches, sightseeing for everyone. From ATL, American can get you in by early afternoon. Grenada is gorgeous on a smaller scale, and Martinique is a department of France, very lush and interesting. And there is always Jamaica.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Don,t believe you will feel like you are still in the US if you go to St. John USVI

Lush jungle,fantastic soft white sand beaches.Only 2 small rustic towns. We have been to the furthest northern part of Australia near the Barrier Reef and St. John makes us feel the same-----away.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Further to my comments re St. John. You are in a spot where you can take short day trips to various parts of the British VI--either sail or motor.

The beaches and clear warm water are the best ,in our opinion, that we have encountered in 50 years of worldwide travel,---this includes the South Pacific.Red Sea, Mexico,and Far East.

Even though you will have all the feelings of being in a far away land, this is still a US territory. Important these days , we think, in the context of security
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Delta is just started flying directly into N. Eleuthera with small jets in the Bahamas. The island is small very safe and perfect for a quick getaway. Several nice places to stay on island and several very good to excellent restaurants, some nite life and shopping and one of the 10 best beaches in the world.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Delta also flies direct from ATL to Guadaloupe. There's a Club Med there with a great kids club, and the predominant language is French.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Easy from Atlanta on Delta ? How about daily non-stops to the Cayman Islands, under two hours from ATL. Doesn't come much easier than that (and lots easier/shorter than suggestions of Trinidad / Barbados...Barbados is over 1,000 miles from Cayman... the Caribbean is a big place !)
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I will file away....
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Since you want lush vs arid, I would NOT recommend Cayman Is. It is flat and not lush . I imagine you're picturing hiills, lots of trees and vegetation, palm-lined beaches.

I would recommend St John. I've never felt (3 trips there) like i am "too close to home" The "vibe" is completely different from the mainland.