Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just curious -- where else do you like to travel?

Jun 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

I love the Caribbean (it's close and easily accessible from Texas and just gorgeous) so I hang out on this board quite a bit. But I also have a major travel bug and love to travel to lots of other parts of the world. My recent favorite destination was London and I'm planning on going back next year. Sometimes when I'm over at the UK board I recognize names from here. I'm also thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

So, besides the Caribbean what is your other favorite travel destination? Do you seek out other international beaches? Or do you go to places that are completely different? Or do you just stick with the Caribbean for all of your vacations?
Jun 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM

There's life beyond the Caribbean? Really?!

Just kidding. Before I went to the Caribbean I went to Europe a few times but the only international places I've traveled since I discovered the Caribbean have been in the Caribbean. I'd love to go just about anywhere--Asia, Africa, South America--they've all captured my imagination.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Besides Hawaii..I have only traveled in the Caribbean.

I would love to go to New Zealand,Australia,Europe and Alaska..but the Caribbean is the most convenient to me right now while my kids are young.(I live in NC)

Christie
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
KVR

Besides the Caribbean and Mexico our other favorite vacation destination is Las Vegas. We've been several times and usually go about once a year now.

We been to most of the Caribbean Islands that we actually wanted to see. I think we'll expand over to the Western Mexico area. Would also like to see more of the good ole USA.

We would still like to see Alaska, but DH insists he's not stepping another foot on a cruise ship. So will have to figure out another way to see it that's not too expensive.

I've been to London once and have really no desire to see other parts of Eruope. Wouln't mind going to Australia though, but don't think I could handle the long flight.

Jun 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I live in Cayman, but my favourite places outside Cayman include :
- Scotland (Edinburgh / Highlands)
- France (Paris in particular, except in high summer)
- Colorado in summer
- Strawberry Hill in Jamaica
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:41 AM

I am a Vegas girl!!! We try to make yearly "girls" trips, though it did not happen this year. My DH and I were married there in 2003. It is just so much fun and stimulation!

I would love to visit Italy, the Greek Islands, Morocco, Ireland, and every single island in the Caribbean that i have not been to!
Jun 28th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Pretty much we like to go wherever we haven't been to B4, w/ exceptions of course. A good way to see alot in a short period of time is by cruising. I hope we can see the Greek islands next. That is a dream vacation.
Jun 28th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Europe & of course North America. We have only recently started exploring the Caribbean but have been to Europe a dozen or so times. It is a little more difficult now w/two little ones, both for travel & economics.
Jun 28th, 2007, 04:17 AM

The Seychelles/Praslin and La Digue, Buzios/Brazil and Antalya/Bodrum/Turkey are this beach lover's
favorites, beyond Jamaica...
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:18 AM

While my wife and I have been travelling to different Caribbean islands since the late 80s we have also travelled to Costa Rica (highly recommend it), Ireland, Scotland, and Italy (we will return to Rome next June). Since we have just about exhausted the Caribbean as a winter destination we are now considering a tour of Egypt next January with overnights in Europe (Amsterdam or Paris) while in transit.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM

We love the caribbean and have covered many islands. We've been to the major hawain islands as well. Places I really want to visit include Maldives, Ireland, New Yealand.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

mahobaygirl -- dh and I were married in Vegas too (2002)! I have a kind of love/hate relationship with Vegas. I always have fun, but I am so done with it by the time I leave and I always say I'll prob never go back, but I keep going back! It's a good weekend getaway. I've never gone with just the girls, but that's a really great idea. My 2 bestfriends and I do a trip away each year.

My big list:

Italy
Greece/ Greek Islands
Peru -- Machu Pichu
Costa Rica (Belize?)
Alaska (cruise?)
Scotland/Ireland
China
Thailand
Africa (Eastern and Southern)

These are just my MUST SEES before I die, but I'd probably go just about anywhere that isn't ridiculously unsafe. Jamaica wasn't even on the "list" but it just seemed to fit the bill and I'm so glad I went!
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Banff, Canada. This was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I am dying to return but with 2 small children, it will have to wait until they are older.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM

We love Kauai. Last month I was in the French Polynesia and found that to be a wonderful choice. I can't wait to go back there! This winter we are venturing into Mexico for our first time. Hoping that will be a satisfying trip, as well.
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM

It is so interesting (and awesome) to see how many different places everyone who responded has been to. It affirms my feelings that we who travel really have "the bug" as they say. There are so many experiences out there waiting for us - we embrace that - and are always looking toward that next trip! With that said I'll respond by saying although I have "B.A.D." (beach addiction disorder) lately, other adventures, all of which I've loved, were Africa, Germany, France, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico,and the USVI's.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM

I've got the bug bad!
On a quest for the world's most perfect beach-and I've seen a few.
I've been to 78 counties, not yet made it to South America-but going to Peru and Easter Island this Dec.

I love 96% of the places I've been too-only a few I disliked.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

blamona -- where is the world's most perfect beach? and if you don't mind sharing, which were the places you didn't like visiting?
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Laustic: Anse Lazio on Praslin and
Anse Source L'Argent on La Digue
have topped the best list for some time
for off-the-beaten-track beachlover paradises. Nothing, arguablyl, in Hawaii nor Caribbean is comparable.
Jun 29th, 2007, 02:08 AM
owa

tivertonhouse, you know how to dream!! Beautiful, beautiful. Years ago, on the way to Kenya, we spent time going from island to island. Some of our best memories ever.

We want to go anywhere there is good snorkeling. Owa

Jun 29th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Well, I suppose I had better add The Seychelles to my list Although I've heard it's a rather expensive destination, but you only live once right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO