Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from Tortola/Frenchmans Cay, any questions?

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:09 AM
rick

Any questions? Willing to help.

Old May 8th, 2000, 08:07 AM
RJ

Going to Frenchman's in Nov. for honeymoon. Would love to hear full trip report if you've got the time. Specifically, any recommendations on snorkel trips, good spots to drive to (did you do the Jeep-included package?) and/or good places to eat. Hope FC lived up to its reputation!

Thanks in advance.

Old May 8th, 2000, 08:24 AM
rick

RJ, I am actually in the process of typing something up to share. I am also trying to find my desk under all the papers so I will probably have something by Tuesday the 9th of May for you. In the meantime, Frenchmans was a great choice, I will elaborate a bit more later. If you want seclusion, quiet, but closeness to get around to everything you cant go wrong. Yes we did do the tour that included, 3 day Jeep, breakfast everyday and Sunday bbq. After having been there, I wouldnt do anymore as far as including dinners with the package. The food was great but we personally like to explore and try different things and there are alot of great restaurants on the island. We did just add 3 more days onto the jeep rental which you can do privatley with National who is the company they use. Talk soon.

Old May 11th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Adele

Thanks for the report on Frenchman's Cay, especially after the nasting posting on this board a short time ago.

We're going with the whole family (3 kids, ags 6,11 and 14) and decided to do the package which includes 2 lunches and 3 dinners, mostly for convenience and it will probably be more economical feeding a family that way. Do you have any recommendations on other places to try for dinner that might appeal to families? A friend who recently went said Callaloo (sp?) at Prospect Reef was wonderful.

Old May 11th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Nicole La

Please forward your full report to me as well. My fiancee and I are trying to find a honeymoon spot in the BVIs.

All comments and suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Old May 11th, 2000, 11:35 AM
rick

Adele & Nicole, the report that I wrote is down further under "Sloppy Trip Report - Tortola", it was down near 49 last I checked. I would tend to agree with you Adele that the meals included will be good with the family. Also dont forget you have a full kitchen to cook if you choose. There is a good grocery store on the main road that leads into West end about 5 minute drive from Frenchsman, same road as leads to Roadtown. It isnt huge but good for beers, soda, water, snacks ,etc.. The Riteways larger store are in Roadtown I believe. I am sure you will be able to get lighter fare for the kids off of the FC menu.

Which bashing were you referring to of FC? Was it the one where the person referred to the towels being soiled and the managers telling them to F*&%^$#$ off.

If so, they were way off. The place as I have described is not resort like; it is kind of rustic if you will but what the heck do you want for $130 US when you take out the extras included in the package.

The managers have had an awful time recently which may explain part of the persons complaint with the property. The managers have a 19 year old son who was recently shot in St Thomas and thus paralyzed from the waist down forever. He was visiting the island and will never walk again. I certainly can understand why Pam & Terry would be upset and probably not on their game, cant you. Anyway.

Other family restaurants: Jolly Roger was good, Shell museum we heard was great for breakfast. I cant imagine any of the others would be bad. Just stay away from Sugar Mill, Brandywine types because they are very pricey. I will tell you where dinner was pretty cheap and good was Bombas shack across the street. They have a BBQ, Johnny Cakes(fried dough-soak up the booze), for $10 and it is alot of food. Kids could probably share a plate. The shack gets lively later but you could eat before hand probably up to 8pm without the huge crowds.

Good luck

Old May 15th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Sharon

We also just returned from Frenchmen's Cay. Had a great time, considering that we were going away without kids for the first time. The resort was very quiet, none of the roosters that we heard on other parts of the island. There was a loud all night party the first night we were there, but we were assured that was a once a year event. We missed air conditioning and at first was surprised that there was no television, but that turned out rather pleasant. We had an ant problem in our villa while we were there.
We took a great day sail/snorkle trip on Patouche II and enjoyed meals at Pussers and Sugar Mill. We did the day trip on the ferry to Virgin Gorda and the baths. It was $30 per person including taxis, lunch and the ferry. By afternoon the baths were deserted and very enjoyable, great snorkeling very close to shore. We especially enjoyed Brewers Bay beach, very secluded. We did the package deal at FC and thought their food was good and were glad we had the jeep. For a quiet get away and relax time we thought it was great.

Old May 17th, 2000, 02:08 PM
joan

Adele:

Take the kids to the following:
C&F (or is it C&K?) - a family takeout or dine in barbeque place in Road Town. You must ask directions. Also, Roti Palace right in the middle of Road Town is good for lunch. Try Breakfast at the North Shore Shell museum. It's a scream - especially the museum part - a bunch of shells under the first floor of the house with kittens all around, but delicious homemade pancakes. Also, our family loved Mrs. Scatliffe's Restaurant. Call ahead and make your entree choices. When we got there, we were the only ones there, and her grandson(?) made us rum punches (that was weird - a kid making drinks!), and after a lovely homecooked supper Mrs. Scatliffe got out her bible and belted out a gospel tune. We still chuckle and sing "Standing on the Promise of the Lord" when the spirit moves us.
Also, be sure to take the kids snorkeling at Smugglers Cove - gentle easy swim and we saw seahorses and lots of good stuff.
Joan