Notices

Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort

Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort

OK, so it is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. But we just spent a week at Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao and found it charming. Spacious and comfortable accomodations (we took the junior suite, which I strongly recommend), very good food (ordered mostly off a menu), very nice beach (albeit somewhat rocky), and great snorkeling and diving from the shore (SPECTACULAR house reef). The general manager, Jim Hunter, is everywhere, making sure everything is as promised. His extensive background is in the food and beverage side of the business at some luxury resorts, and it shows in the offerings put out by the kitchen. Also, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Unlike even many high-end resorts in the Caribbean, when you ask for something -- in our case extra towels and pillows -- it shows up promptly. The resort is about 35 minutes drive from town, and a free shuttle takes you there 4 or 5 times a week. Don't miss the Kura Hulanda museum there. It has a remarkable collection documenting the history of the slave trade. Also be sure to take a tour of the town (the Punda side of the harbor), which has a very interesting history and architecture. Now the caveat: if you are looking for a resort near the action, with lots to do around, go elsewhere. In spite of the staff's attempts to schedule a number of activities each day, it is pretty much a laid-back, casual place for R&R and some sightseeing. We liked it a lot, and think it gives outstanding value.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

One important addition to my earlier post -- they have a section of the beach for nude sunbathing, which a number of the rooms overlook. If you are offended by nudity, this could be a problem. Be sure to mention it when you make a reservation.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
owa

Thank you for posting your trip report. I went to "Trip Advisor" after reading your post and found the same positive comments. Curacao has been on my list for a number of years. Do you know if it would be possible to go to Bonaire for a day trip?

Thanks again, Owa

Oct 24th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Owa,
Yes, you can go to Bonaire for a day trip, although it is probably relatively expensive. Really the only reason to go to Bonaire is for snorkeling or diving, both of which are outstanding. We spent a week there a few years ago (at Harbour Village) and enjoyed it, but there is just not much else to do or see.

Search this Thread