Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just back from St. Lucia honeymoon - Anse Chastenet and LeSport. Any questions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-back-from-st-lucia-honeymoon-anse-chastenet-and-lesport-any-questions-99907/)

Brooke Jan 11th, 2001 02:37 PM

Just back from St. Lucia honeymoon - Anse Chastenet and LeSport. Any questions?

Visited both the north and south sides of the island for 7 nights. Honestly, didn't do a lot of sight seeing, but can offer my thoughts on other things!

Nano Jan 11th, 2001 05:21 PM

So how was Anse Chastenet?

Lori Jan 12th, 2001 04:55 AM

Brooke - I would love to hear more about your St. Lucia experience. I will be staying at the Hyatt in April.

Brooke Jan 15th, 2001 02:56 PM

We absolutley loved St. Lucia and both of the hotels we stayed in - a wonderful honeymoon spot. We honestly couldn't decide between Anse Chastnet and Le Sport because first, they are two totally different hotels that offer totally different experiences and second, the north and south sides of the island are different as well. So, we decided to experience both of them and I am so glad we did. I was a little afraid that we may be inconvenienced or be wasting time by having to switch hotels during one of the days, but actually, it was great because we got to see all parts of the island! First, Anse Chastnet...We stayed in a deluxe hillside room. It was beautiful. Yes, there is a climb from the beach, but you're not going to be doing it alot...it's not that big of a deal. The South side of the island is more lush and mountainous and green (not to say the North side isn't, but it's just more lush and mounatinous on the South side) and the people also on the South side were different too. They were more "rural" if you will, it was a more "authentic" experience if that makes sense. Everyone was extremely nice on both sides of the island, from the employees to the other tourists to our cab drivers. Personally, our ideal honeymoon was to do nothing and just relax and the Anse Chastnet beach was perfect for that. Pretty secluded, the best beach, beautiful water, fresh, tasty, beach drinks, and also lots to do if you wanted to explore. This is the hotel we heard for scuba diving and also heard the snorkeling was wonderful. Next time, I'd like to do the rainforest trip or the mineral water falls trip or the drive-in volcano trip. It's soooo beautiful! Yes, the road is windy to the hotel, (we arrived at 3:30 in the morning in the rain!) but it didn't make me sick. Just know that going in. They do that to keep the beach private and beautiful. And as far as the food goes, you have to understand that it's not America. It's the Caribbean. So, while it's different, it's still very good. We were quite surprised. Great grilled fish! The room was comfortable at night, and yes, you do have to use the mosquito netting. Not like there were bugs swarming us, but it's an open room, so of course there will be some. (and I'm not even a camper-type and I liked the experience of it!) You just have to realize what you're booking when you do it. It's a wonderful place to really experience the island -- it's not a posh resort. But if you want the best of both, do both. Go to AC for a while and then go to the Hilton or Le Sport. Overall, the island was absolutely beautiful, lush, non-touristy and the people were very nice. We will definitely go back. Let me know if you have any more specific questions! <BR>

Cynthia Keller Jan 16th, 2001 03:31 PM

Hi - Sounds great! We have a week stay booked at Ladera in April. Did you see that resort by chance? They share the beach with Anse Chastenet. We are wanted LUXURY. Is it??? <BR> <BR>Thank you!

Brooke Jan 23rd, 2001 12:54 PM

No, unfortunately, didn't see Ladera. But you will sure love the "open air" room type. We did! Enjoy St. Lucia..it's beautiful!

Jen s Jan 24th, 2001 10:05 AM

I am considering boking the Jalousie Hilton? Did you see it? Would you recommend?