Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just back from St Barths..any questions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-back-from-st-barths-any-questions-240528/)

John Jul 17th, 2002 11:50 AM

Just back from St Barths..any questions?

Just got back last night ..had an excellent time.This island is by far the best of the Caribbean. Great beaches, excellent food, wonderful people.<BR>Some of the highlights..<BR>Dinner at Le Toiny, Wall House<BR>Lunch at Eden Roc and La Langouste<BR>Saline and Gouverneur beaches<BR>Shopping in Gustavia<BR>Driving towards the airport with a plane just overhead!!WOW<BR>Sunset drinks at Carl Gustaf<BR>lunch at Do Brazil!!<BR>Getting my favorite Riesling for half the price here in NY<BR>I could go on and on...<BR>Any questions I would be more than happy to answer....<BR><BR>

Sandy Feet Jul 17th, 2002 12:25 PM

How did you book your flight to St. Barts? There is another thread where someone was wondering.

maria Jul 17th, 2002 12:26 PM

Where did you stay?

wondering Jul 17th, 2002 12:36 PM

Please write back with more details - especially regarding accommodations. Where did you stay? What did you observe about other hotels/resorts, especially Le Toiny? <BR>How were the beaches? Shopping?<BR>What was your favorite activity?<BR>Thanks for additional info!<BR>

John Jul 17th, 2002 01:31 PM

I booked my flight and hotel thru my travel agent. <BR>I stayed at Isle de France which is an amazing property. Service was excellent,rooms immaculate, huge and beautiful.Restaurant there was very good. Very elegant, relaxed atmosphere which was perfect for us.<BR>Le Toiny is amazing. I did not get to see a room but if the rooms are anything like the rest of the hotel well let's just say it can only be fantastic.I will be staying there at some point for sure.<BR>The beaches on the island are terrific with Saline and Gouverneur being the best. St jean was fun as far as having lunch at Eden Roc and using their chairs etc but the water is too much like a bathtub for me..I like some waves. Flammands where Isle De France is was also fabulous the best I think for swimming but with the hotels on it it can't compare to the natural splendor of Governeur and Saline.That view when you reach the dune at Saline is just too die for. <BR>As far as shopping is concerned my wife loved it..I don't care for it but she bought almost everywhere we went with Gustavia being her favorite area..although she did buy quite a lot in ST Jean.<BR>The restaurants are expensive if you want them to be.An average dinner for us which included always for each of us.. an appetizer, entree, bottle of water and at least 2 drinks and a shared dessert was about $140..of course some were more some were less but an average of $140 is not bad at least in my world of NYC.The thing about the island though that really makes it special are the people..There is an air of sophistication and elegance about everyone..now it may be because most are French but I think it is an appreciation of life that most people just don't possess. Life is good on this island and no one takes it for granted or abuses it. This is not a place for everyone if you do not have the "joie de vivre" don't bother with St Barths..you will not enjoy it. I don't mean to sound like a snob which I am not but it is hard to explain. Those who have been know what I am saying...<BR>

Mary Jul 17th, 2002 06:17 PM

I understand completely (we love it there) but our son summed it up best when, after a couple of days on the island & spying 2 very attractive young women holding traffic signs, said "What's the deal? You have to audition to live on this island?"

a Jul 17th, 2002 09:23 PM

John, Have you been to Bermuda ?<BR>How do these two islands compare (besides the obvious, one is British and the other French) ?

John Jul 18th, 2002 05:23 AM

I have not been to Bermuda but I do have an uncle who travels there quite often and I think it has the same feeling as St Barths in respect to the mother country (France and Britian). MY uncle also travels to England almost 4 times a year so that is why he loves Bermuda so much.<BR>Mary..You're son is very observant and his comment is right on the money!!!

wondering Jul 18th, 2002 08:17 AM

Thanks John! Sounds incredible. You have confirmed our choice for our 20th anniversary! Gosh I love this board, thanks to folks like you.<BR>The Brazilian lunch sounds interesting, and the shopping must be great.<BR>Where did your connecting flight depart/arrive? Was it Winnair or another?<BR>

John Jul 18th, 2002 08:51 AM

Wondering..<BR>We flew into St martin from NY with our flight to St Barths on Winnair. Make sure you have enough time (unless you bring just carry on) between SXM and St barths to allow for the long security lines at SXM..you'll need at least an hour if not more. I will say Juliana airport had 1 person doing the security check at 12.30 on a saturday afternoon..There were about 100 if not more people on line..to me that is appalling..We barely made our flight to ST Barths.<BR>The Winnair flight was fine ..10 minutes and the landing into ST Barths is quite an experience!!! <BR>Like I said before if you like to shop you will love ST BArths..It's not like ST Thomas or ST Maarten though..much more boutique like and very interesting original little shops..My wife is in the fashion industry and she was quite impressed..but then again the French know their stuff when it comes to shopping..<BR>DO Brazil is a great little place right on Shell Beach in Gustavia..Great food, view and service..not to be missed.<BR>

wondering Jul 18th, 2002 08:55 AM

ooh, ooh, ooh!<BR>(said to jumping up and down)